Run All Old WC Games in DOSBox Walkthrough

Noaki said:
You are right, it is the soundcard. I disabled the soundcard in the wc3.exe and the movies played without a problem. However, how do I get the sound to work with the game using dosbox? Thanks!

You have to keep playing with the settings until you find a working configuration. Check what your DOSBox is defaulting to.. IRQ7 versus 5 and so on.

Unregistered said:
Hi,
when I try loading armada it says something about not finding a JEMM FILE
when I try loading the fix -65 thingy, it says that I do not have enough RAM

Did you follow the steps in the original post in this thread? Disable EMS in the dosbox.conf file. You can choose a lower number than 65.

ok I copied the files from the cd to a wing2 directory on the C: drive
I ran the install and it keeps locking up on me or at least I have sat for 30 min or so on the copying files screen any suggestions or maybe a walkthrough from the beginning. I am not understanding this dosbox stuff

Ok I'm having a little issue. I'm using D-Fend and I'm trying to get it to play Armada, but when it does the colors are completely screwed up (My other privateer game though works just fine in this regard). My desktop visual settings are at 1024 x 768 at high colors if that makes a difference.

Here are my settings for Armada

[cpu]
cycles=6000
core=normal
cycleup=500
cycledown=20

[dosbox]
machine=vga
memsize=16
language=
captures=C:\Program Files\D-Fend\Capture

[sdl]
output=surface
fullscreen=false
fulldouble=true
fullfixed=false
fullresolution=Default
hwscale=1.00
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt

[render]
scaler=normal2x
frameskip=0
aspect=false

[sblaster]
type=sb16
base=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=22050

[gus]
gus=true
rate=22050
base=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=1
dma2=1
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[midi]
mpu401=true
intelligent=true
device=default
config=

[speaker]
pcspeaker=true
pcrate=22050
tandyrate=22050
disney=true

[dos]
xms=true
ems=false

[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=22050
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=10

[modem]
modem=false
listenport=23
comport=COM2

[directserial]
directserial=false
Comport=COM1
realport=1
defaultbps=1200
parity=N
bytesize=8
stopbit=1

[ipx]
ipx=false

[autoexec]
mount F "F:\ARMADA" -label f
F:
cd\
cd \
loadfix -65 ARMADA.EXE
exit

Buccura said:
Ok I'm having a little issue. I'm using D-Fend and I'm trying to get it to play Armada, but when it does the colors are completely screwed up (My other privateer game though works just fine in this regard). My desktop visual settings are at 1024 x 768 at high colors if that makes a difference.

fullscreen=false
fulldouble=true
fullfixed=false

I'd ditch d-fend. Occasionally hear of people who can't get it to run with that overlay. I'd try it with fulldouble=false and just turn down the resolution of your windows background to make the window appear larger. Standard dosbox window in an 800x600 display is fine. If that doesn't work, I'd take off d-fend and dosbox completely, and reinstall just plain dosbox. There's only just one tweak you need to make, ems=true to false, and then give it a go with those fresh settings.

ChrisReid said:
I'd ditch d-fend. Occasionally hear of people who can't get it to run with that overlay. I'd try it with fulldouble=false and just turn down the resolution of your windows background to make the window appear larger. Standard dosbox window in an 800x600 display is fine. If that doesn't work, I'd take off d-fend and dosbox completely, and reinstall just plain dosbox. There's only just one tweak you need to make, ems=true to false, and then give it a go with those fresh settings.

Well I did that and I changed the EMS to false in the config file, however when Armada loads it stops at Initializing EMS

Er, nevermind, I forgot the loadfix has to be typed in BEFORE the file. Anyway I did that and it loads but, the colors are still messed up.

Hmm.. there's probably not too much more to it than that. Color corruptions are very rare, and so there's not a set of common fixes. Sounds like some sort of conflict between what dosbox is trying to do and your video card. Trying a different version of directx or your video card drivers could possibly alter things, or you might have to wait for a different version of dosbox. You might try adjusting the refresh rate for your screen, altering the number of colors and other minor changes such as that as well.

Possible, but see it worked before with this video card just fine. I'll try a few things though and see if I can come up with anything.

WC2 Sound help

Hey guys, im running WC2 in DOSBOX fine, except the speech craps out after like 2 secs, music is fine, sound dies. everything else is fine. ideas?

Did you pick Soundblaster in the installation menu? Make sure it detects the card on IRQ7. Note that regular cutscenes don't have speech, just the intro and in-flight if you have the speech pack.

ive got the EA top ten pack, and it freezes when the emporer speaks

re: joystick trouble

Unregistered said:
Ok I solved the problem, had to turn on mscdex in dosbox.

But now a new problem.

It's impossible to calibrate my usb joystick correctly :/
The numbers on the axes just keep going crazy (in the calibration).
When I play wc3, it automaticly pushes the cursor into the top left corner :(

I had the same problem with WC3 and the joystick, to solve it you need Origin's alternate joystick driver, which you can download from here: ftp://ftp.ea.com/pub/origin/patches/wc3/

Just download the wc3joy.exe file, run it, and copy the wc3joy.dll file to wherever you installed wc3 to on your harddrive (i.e. c:\wc3). When you run the wc3.exe file from DOSBox, it will display a new line when starting up stating that "Alternate joystick DLL loaded." You'll want to recalibrate your joystick (wc3 -i) the first time, but after that it should work just fine.

Unregistered said:
ive got the EA top ten pack, and it freezes when the emporer speaks

What operating system are you running the game in? What hardware do you have? What have you tried to do to fix this so far? Everyone who posts a question should answer these things in their initial posts.

Privateer 2 in DOsbox

I have loaded dosbox and successfully run WC4 (thank you for the help in this thread) I have a copy of privateer 2 and I have tried to get it to install in dosbox. the install starts and I get the screen to set up the sound and music cards, but it won't detect my sound card no matter which option I choose, and it won't proceed with the install.

Any help would be appreciated

I am running my good old privateer under DOSbox 0.63 and it runs fine. I am unable to set or modify speed (pressing backspace sets to 0 and then I cannot move anymove: +,-, TAB or * keys don't work).

All other keys seem to work fine.

I need help!

Keyboard control for Privateer under DOSbox

I forgot to say it is the diskette-based priv and I am trying on a P-IV 2.4 GHz XP CPU.

I use no joystick: always played WC with keyboard only (WC1 WC2 Armada Priv & Prophecy)

I have found KSOT having and solving the same problem a couple of years ago, but he did not tell what he did :(

Alch said:
I am running my good old privateer under DOSbox 0.63 and it runs fine. I am unable to set or modify speed (pressing backspace sets to 0 and then I cannot move anymove: +,-, TAB or * keys don't work).

All other keys seem to work fine.

I need help!

You need to buy afterburners before Tab does anything. Did you try both sets of +/- keys? Try the ones next to Backspace and on the number pad.

OK, Chris; Thank you very much

I've just restored my old 1999 savegame file and TAB works fine when set-up on the Centurion!!

Tried the keys rightside to the 0 key (I guess they're +/- on English standard keyboards, but not on mine) and now I can increase/decrease speed.

I will miss controlling all inflight movement just by using my right hand, but I'll get used to it

Keep the good work!!

Back