RSI Crowd Funding Campaign Kicks Off (October 10, 2012)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator

In order to finance the new game, Chris Roberts has arranged a variety of private investors, but he is also looking out to fans to support the new game's development. The funding campaign is being run like a typical Kickstarter program, although everything is managed directly through Robert Space Industries. There are numerous tiers that range from $10 to $10,000 contributions, and each provides an associated benefit. For example, the $125 "Wingnut" tier gets players the Hornet fighter, access to the alpha/beta builds, in-game credits, a ship-shaped USB stick, the game's CD soundtrack and more! The initial crowdfunding goal is $2 million, but there are top tiers with additional benefits if the community reaches $3, $4 or $5 million. There's even a tantalizing secret $6 million level!

?We Have Liftoff!?
Initial Goal

• $2+ million Pledged
  • Community Updates
  • Star Citizens will get to play in the multiplayer Alpha (12 months)
  • Star Citizens will receive access to the Wing Commander/Squadron 42 campaign (18 months)

?Have Starship Will Travel??
Stretch Goal 3

• $5+ million Pledged
  • Increased Community Updates! Monthly Dev. Team Webcasts
  • Monthly Town Hall Meeting with Chris Roberts
  • Star Citizens will get to play in the multiplayer Alpha (12 months)
  • Creation of Professional Mod Tools provided free to players
  • Star Citizens will receive access to the Wing Commander/Squadron 42 campaign (18 months)
  • Deep Storyline
  • On-Line Ship Marketplace
  • Max Missions
  • Star Citizens will receive access to the Wing Commander/Star Citizen universe for on-line persistent play (30 months)
  • Privateer-like gameplay
  • Multiple Star Systems to Explore

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose it's a really stupid question - but any option to pay more and get the ship at that level and the HOrnet?

I suppose it's a really stupid question - but any option to pay more and get the ship at that level and the HOrnet?

I haven't checked but maybe you can pledge twice?

Yeah, I want to know if it's like the X series, where I could have more than one ship or like Privateer/Elite where I can only have one. I also would like to know some of the stats of the ships, as this will make my mind up over what ship I get with my pledge.

I mean if I get the Wingnut package, I get a hornet which might mean I'll be having to take shooty missions, wheras with the freelancer package the ship seems to be for trading. I'd like the relative stats, as if I'm going to sink £100 into a game, I'd like to make a detailed decision, which I don't think is unreasonable at all.

Roberts says that the only thing he sold is credits. And these will be perhaps limited / months. And he sayd that no one can open the moneybag and buy a ship that is overpowered. Like World of Tanks you can have every fighter. So I think if you play with the startship you need a few hours of gameplay or even one or two months but then you have the Hornet too. The funding was before it went down at 170.000 $ and thats 4 hours after the start. It goes up every minute. In Germany was 21 Hour. So I think the American und Australien and every else awaken in that time so I think that the 2 Million perhaps is reached today at perhaps the same time. Some gamer from PC Games, Gamestar and Gamersglobal already are in with 40 to 250 $. And a lot of positive responce from here ;) We made it. GOGO ;) Backers ;)

It's all going to the same destination, so if you are having trouble with the US, feel free to try the European site.. and remember.. they ARE working to resolve the website issues and the crowdfunding campaign lasts all month..

I tried logging on using my login details but apparently it does not work since I want to make a donation.
Since I am donating from Australia is it recommend to donate in the US or European group?
I think we just need to be patient for the site to get running properly again, iron out all the bugs.

As for currency, I plan to go with USD. I did a quick check of the conversion rates and USD prices appear to be more favourable compared with the Euro when converted to AUD (also didn't see a Euro rate for the 'international delivery charges'). Am keeping a watch on the exchange rates... but of course, I'll bet the exchange rates will suddenly become more favourable after I make a purchase. Hopefully won't be more than a few dollars difference.

I mean if I get the Wingnut package, I get a hornet which might mean I'll be having to take shooty missions, wheras with the freelancer package the ship seems to be for trading. I'd like the relative stats, as if I'm going to sink £100 into a game, I'd like to make a detailed decision, which I don't think is unreasonable at all.

Stats wouldn't necessarily be useful today. Look at every set of WC manuals. The stats are constantly being tweaked right up until release - they don't exist two years before the game ships. There's 29 days to go, and RSI has been releasing several updates per day, so plenty of time to for information on each ship to be featured in a future article however.

I think, also, the point was made elsewhere that contributing more will not give anyone an advantage over another - with enough time, a newcomer without any of these bonus ships could still work their way to accumulating enough credits to buy the Hornet or Freelancer ship or whatever. Sounds to me that all ships will be accessible (with the appropriate in-game credits) and I'd be interested in trying some of the other ships too, even if I start with a ship that's a bit more powerful because of this pledging scheme.

I didn't pledge $1000 because I wanted free stuff. I pledged it because I want the game to get made. The free stuff is really a nice bonus. I just want the Ultimate Wing Commanderesque game. That said, if they made the ship model 2 foot long I'd be very tempted to upgrade.

I didn't mean I wanted to buy my way in, but I like some of the stuff in the higher tiers - would be nice if I could have a choice and give 'em all a try to see what I'm more suited for, but have them in the hangar for the heck of it :).

Back