Riordian's faction

JKeefe

Spaceman
I have pciked up the campaign again.

Riordian is Confed???? I just spent an hour getting Confed up to 70-80 frienliness, and BANG it's instantly -73 after pumping Riordian full of Tachyon juice and Proton Torps.

Riordian makes specific mention of being a privateer. I understand that your game character is the only one who belongs in the privateer faction, but Riordian sure as hell shouldn't be Confed - as far as I can tell it makes no sense (unless you intentionally want the Confed chasing your game character all over creation despite the fact that that mission should be a milk run otherwise because of the hidden Brilliance).

On a somewhat related note, Riordian's speech is quieter than the rest of the speech in-game. I barely noticed it the first time because I wasn't looking for it.

The faction was chosen for its fighting skills. It should be somewhat of a duel with him.

One of the first things I will be doing after 1.0 is creating a mini faction for each main NPC. In addition to skills, voices, comms animations and taunts are assigned by faction. By creating a mini faction for each, their relations can be tweaked, and they can each be given their own voices and comms.

That is considered somewhat of a major change though, so it can't go in now because of the feature freeze. It will be fixed in 1.1 ;)

The voice is a little quiet, maybe we can bump it up a bit.

Riordian? Confed? That's news to me. I thought he was just a sophisticated pirate. I'm glad you brought him up though. It's a memorable part in the game. The first time you come across an ace privateer.

Me? I don't even wait for his little speech anymore. I just kill him right off. Anyway, good times.

Shipgate said:
Riordian? Confed? That's news to me. I thought he was just a sophisticated pirate. I'm glad you brought him up though. It's a memorable part in the game. The first time you come across an ace privateer.

Me? I don't even wait for his little speech anymore. I just kill him right off. Anyway, good times.

Shoot him and ding up My Precioussssssss in the Processsssssss?????

We thinksssssss not, <Gollum>

Oh! Sorry. Wrong universe.

I like the reality of the new game better than the old's respawn, but stronger. BUT, you really need to do something. I really had an easy time to get out of range, and then lay in wait. I ambushed him while he was still trying to get to me. It was WAY too easy. Yeah, I took a clue from the original's opening sequence.

ANyway, you need to do something about him, he's too easy to beat right now.

hellcatv said:
we could give xtra armor to his ship and make him a pirate?
If I tell you how I did it, it isn't gonna get me banned is it?

You could have made his armour equivalent to a Gothri, OR TWO even. He'd have been dead and I would have still been unscathed. I RACED to where I set my trap. Full afterburners. Not a scratch. I waited and waited and while he was STILL fighting his way to me, I blasted him good. He did NOT stand a chance.

The only way it would have been hard is if he could have kept up with me OR if he respawned in FRONT of me on my race from point a, the jump to point c, my ambush on the other side. After I passed point b (3/4 or 4/5 through) ahead of him he would have had to respawn on the far side of c to make it a real fight. Instead it was a turkey shoot.

Remember, I'm admittedly one of the WORST shots in the game and I didn't have a scratch. I didn't even skin a shield. Not a shot of his landed. Not a scratch on my shields.

You either have to force the battle right off, or force it at the mid-point. As it stood, I did NOT have a cloak at the time. NOW? With the cloak? Heck, Not a chance he'll lay a glove on me.

If you'd like to see my proof on being able to beat the game in a Tarsus, I have a saved game with over 500,000.00 cr. and a loaded out Tarsus. You might want to change the guns, but what the heck.

It has everything, including the cash to go to a Centurion if that's your choice, but I'd try it in this FIRST. The options on THIS puppy alone are Prolly worth close to 1,000,000cr.

It has NO Campaign Missions Flown, Pirates (-42) and Retros (-47) are your only enemies, and you can even work those down to next to nil if you try really hard.

MamiyaOtaru said:
The faction was chosen for its fighting skills. It should be somewhat of a duel with him.
Yes, it should.

However, as he popped out of the asteroid fields, I turned to face him and unloaded 4 Tachyon cannons into his face. He blew up before he could turn away.

Granted, this is the brute force approach, as it hurts me too, but he was dead and I needed some new front armor (no hull damage). In any case, it was not a challenge.

Back