Reunion 3 years in the making...

frostytheplebe

Seventh Part of the Seal
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share with my Wing Commander family!

A few years back I started doing research into my Grandfather, Staff Sgt. John F. Harrington of the 82nd Airborne during WW2. He was a decorated hero from the Battle of the Buldge and a Concentration Camp (Wobellin) liberator.

It became my mission to restore his Army record as much as possible after it's destruction in the hall of records fire that destroyed the records of soldiers from the Civil War- Korea.

I was able to recover some information, including serial numbers. My uncle got away with most of his good stuff when he passed away... including his Colt 1911:mad:

But there was a few serial numbers that didn't match what he had. After 3 years of research, cutting through red tape, and $1000 cash... I managed to recover the rifle my old man used during WW2 and bring it back up to firing condition.

I still can't wait to unviel it the family reunion in two weeks... they don't even know yet I found it.
0708001546.jpg

0708001547.jpg

0708001550.jpg

0708001551.jpg

0708001551a.jpg

Nice mid-war M1.

I can't really read the digits the 2nd is either a 9 or a 8. But if its anything good to know that M1 was produced in either August or September of 1943. (If its an 8 its the earlier, if its a 9 its the latter). Thats a family heirloom that can never be replaced right there, take good care of it! And from the looks of it, its in pretty darn good condition!

Serial numbers were given by manufacturer incrementally. If its amazing to believe they only made 80 M1's between 1932 and 1934.

As a WW2 buff I'd like to ask what information would you like to share? I'm a big self-described historian and the ability to hear and pass along stories is a part of my hobby. What Regiment is an interesting starter. The 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment was quite a fabled and legendary unit amongst paratroopers.

Speaking of paratroopers...
9625_131093177491_534682491_2417625_7501784_n.jpg

Thats what a 101 or 82d trooper would have looked a bit like during Normandy. (yeah its me, we were portraying 2/506th, as a note this unit was doing Easy Co. Looooong before the mini series came out) That same event we had the honor of having 5 veterans from Easy and Fox Companies of the 506th visiting and they shared their stories with us. One of which was Don Malarkey, who was reunited with a friend from Fox company he hadn't seen since 1945.

If it were my family reunion I think firearms would be a norm :D .

A <Salute> to your grandfather.

Nice mid-war M1.

I can't really read the digits the 2nd is either a 9 or a 8. But if its anything good to know that M1 was produced in either August or September of 1943. (If its an 8 its the earlier, if its a 9 its the latter). Thats a family heirloom that can never be replaced right there, take good care of it! And from the looks of it, its in pretty darn good condition!.

It wasn't in good condition when I bought it. The wood was near black, and the reciever was pretty scuffed and showed rust. When I first laid eyes on it, I had to kind of slink off to the side and wipe my eyes a little. It was awful, it's previous owner did not take care of it or show it the respect it deserved. I took it to the local smith to see if it could be brought up to firing condition and he gave me a list of what I could do. You'd be surprised what a soft steel sponge, gun oil, and wood polish will do. Took me three days, 5 rags, and two bottles of cleaner, but it worked. I brought it from rack to near collector grade condition and the old girl fires beautifully now.

Serial numbers were given by manufacturer incrementally. If its amazing to believe they only made 80 M1's between 1932 and 1934.
The barrel stamp is 44. So he got this one fairly late.

As a WW2 buff I'd like to ask what information would you like to share? I'm a big self-described historian and the ability to hear and pass along stories is a part of my hobby. What Regiment is an interesting starter. The 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment was quite a fabled and legendary unit amongst paratroopers. .
GLADLY!
He was a Staff sgt. part of the 320th Glider, 82nd Airborne Battery A. Participated in North Africa, Normandy, and Buldge. The rifle was the last of three he used. As I'm sure you know, the M1 didn't have a long survival rate. He recieved multiple citations and was offered a Silver Star, which he turned down for his actions during the Buldge. He was part of the force "Rescued" by Patton. Though like everyone else there, he never thought they needed rescuing. Finally, he part of the group that opened up the Woebbelin Concentration camp. He brought home a ton of pictures and war memoriabilia that was divided up between the fam. My uncle made out like a bandit with his 1911, the Luger he brought home and the other two guns he collected, as well as his medals.

If it were my family reunion I think firearms would be a norm :D.

NICE!

A <Salute> to your grandfather.
Most kind, thank you! :)

Back