Requesting Info

how do you name Kilrathi ships there names and is there any easyer way of nameing kilrathi's and can I make up Kilrathi Aces?

how do you name Kilrathi ships there names

Their ship prefix is "KIS", followed by one or multiple Kilrathi words -- KIS Dubav, KIS Sar Hrai, KIS Sivar. The meanings of these words vary, from proper nouns (people, places, things) to concepts. In the case of the latter, they're sometimes written in English -- "KIS Sivar's Glory" or "KIS Vengeance of Vukar Tag".

In prose, Kilrathi ships differ from human ones in that you refer to them with male pronouns (Ie, 'he was a proud ship').

and is there any easyer way of nameing kilrathi's

Most Kilrathi are "{firstname} nar {clan name}".

Ralgha nar Hhallas, Thrakhath nar Kiranka, Bhurak nar Caxki, etc.

and can I make up Kilrathi Aces?

Sure, there's no particular limitation on how many there were.

You can make up anything and call it "Wing Commander". What people will accept as being WC is another issue entirely.

As I said above, though, don't obsess over the fine details.

[O]bsessing over details [...] detracts from the story, instead of enhancing it. Sure, technology is an important factor in the WC universe, but ultimately it's the people that really matter.

"Machines don't fly themselves, Admiral." - Col. Blair, WC4

It seems that when the name is in english, the "nar" is lost. That Jalthi ace from WC1 is named Redclaw, and he is a cousin from Thrakkath's WC2 sidekick/would be assassin.

Does 'nar Kiranka' literally translate into English as Redclaw, or is Redclaw more of a honorable title or callsign, like referring to Todd Marshall as Maniac?

Does 'nar Kiranka' literally translate into English as Redclaw, or is Redclaw more of a honorable title or callsign, like referring to Todd Marshall as Maniac?

As LOAF explained earlier: Most Kilrathi are "firstname" nar "clan name".

That is Ralgha nar Hhallas is known as Ralgha and he's from the Hhallas clan. (Your first name and last name work similarly, in a sense).

"Redclaw" is just the pilot's callsign - as you aptly put it "like referring to Todd Marshall as Maniac".

It seems that when the name is in english, the "nar" is lost. That Jalthi ace from WC1 is named Redclaw, and he is a cousin from Thrakkath's WC2 sidekick/would be assassin.

If the name is English, then it's not a Kilrathi name and all the rules are potentially thrown out the window. But with all the various exceptions and special cases of Kilrathi naming, it's hard to draw any kind of conclusion based off a single example.

It seems that your history is a little deficient, I'm afraid.

The Martin B-26 Marauder came out, more in the vein of the traditional bomber (straight and level, higher altitude). The Douglas A-26 was put into service shortly thereafter, with an operational focus more on "down and dirty" mud-moving. The Marauder was phased out of USAAF inventory by the end of WW2 (last combat mission for the Marauder was May 1945; my "1948", above, was incorrect). In 1948, the designation for the Invader was changed from A-26 to B-26. The actual planes didn't change, just their designation; A lot of B-26 Invaders served as A-26 Invaders during WW2, just a few years earlier.

The Marauder never had the maneuverability that was part of what enabled the Invader to be used against fighters, and except for a relative few airframes didn't have the heavy forward firepower of the primary Invader model during WW2, the A-26B.

As for the Nighthawk's air-air capability, the Air Force disagrees.

From the spokesman for Holloman AFB, which will be switching out its F-117s for F-22s:

I certainly had it backwards in my first post, but I think my second post on this subject agreed with your timeline as far as the Invader was concerned. I had forgotten that by Korea, it was re-designated to a "B" again. Learn something every day...

As for the Nighthawk, it has been some time since I did research on the airframe. After looking into it again, I'm shocked that I can't come up with a source anywhere that even lists it as carrying a gun of any kind. I guess I wrongly assumed that the aircraft would at least have a token pair of Sidewinders and at least a cannon for point defense, but I suppose it never needed it!!

And it has always been obvious that the Raptor would have far superior air to air capabilities than the Nighthawk (now it seems, any capability would far surpass it!:)

It is so strange for me to read all this talk of retiring the F117. I feel like it just got here. This from a guy who still can't believe the Tomcat is gone...

Back