Requesting Info

Milatry

Petty Officer
I was wondering if anyone ever came up with a storie about someone behind enemy lines? I think that would be a cool side story for wing commander showing another side never seen before.

Several episodes of the WC Academy cartoon also covered people behind enemy lines.

I know them i'm talking about one man behind enemy lines and how they he gets back home. somrthing like in prophecy when your in a wasp a the Midway is moving to a jump point and calls all wings back for the jump and say they wont weait for eveyone to land that they'll jump without them. thats the kind of behind enemy lines story im talking about. has anyone done something like that?

To the best of my knowledge, of the several examples of people being caught behind enemy lines, none of them aside from Krueger got away (if they did at all) on their own, but due to release by the captors (survivors of Lancelot flight after Kilrah was nuked, Blair and the bugs in Prophecy) or being rescued by someone else (Dekker in the slave-labor camp that was liberated a few months before the False Peace). The one exception there aren't any details on, just that Krueger eventually escaped, after raising hell on Fawcett's World, where he was shot down at the end of Action Stations.

For the most part, someone stranded in the manner you describe is not likely to ever make it back, fanfic (my own included) to the contrary.

I was thinking of trying to make a story like that but I didn't wont to try if is already been done before. I was thinking of make the story about a piolt trapped behind enemy lines on a secret mission and find out some secret things going on in confed high commande. I want to use a thunderbolt heavyfighter as his fighter in the story but I don't understand the time line on the ship and the map. Meaning that the way the map is during the time of the war and the the type of thunderbolt to use.

IMO, while you should take care to not grossly violate the known universe, obsessing over details like which version of the T-bolt (which, BTW, isn't jump capable as of WC3/4, though possibly is as of Prophecy/Secret Ops, where most ships seem to have jump capability) to use detracts from the story, instead of enhancing it. Sure, technology is an important factor in the WC universe, but ultimately it's the people that really matter.

"Machines don't fly themselves, Admiral." - Col. Blair, WC4

Also, flying a solo fighter behind enemy lines isn't the best of ideas, in general. Something like Paladin's Bonnie Heather from the WC2 addons (and Fleet Action, where it has a cloaking device it used to get in close enough to scan the Hakagas being produced, before and during the False Peace, on the far side of Kilrathi territory) would be better, as it wouldn't be as likely to attract attention.

I was thinking of the pilot being good enough to do things like that with the thunderbolt. but the hole idea is about finding the mole in the confed and the pilot is the one that finds it but only after getting left behind enemy lines. and there are some other scerets that need answering that he also finds out. Plus im using the thunderbolt because its the only heavy fighter i know of that can fire torpedos. Which will be needed in a part of the story.

Milatry said:
I was thinking of the pilot being good enough to do things like that with the thunderbolt. but the hole idea is about finding the mole in the confed and the pilot is the one that finds it but only after getting left behind enemy lines. and there are some other scerets that need answering that he also finds out. Plus im using the thunderbolt because its the only heavy fighter i know of that can fire torpedos. Which will be needed in a part of the story.

Sabres, Morningstars, Vindicators, Avengers, Dragons or a whole bunch of Kilrathi and Tri-System craft would work.

ok in order sabres and morningstars both are jump capable. the vindicators a border wolds ship. the avengers a jump capable ship and is to slow for what I have in mind for the story. the dragons are black lance and there after the Kilrathi war which is the time period im aiming for. the Kilrathi ships i don't think ill use put them on my ship. and the Tri-System craft im not sure but i think thats privateers and there ships are out of the qustion. the story is to take place on a confed ship not sure what kind all i do now is that its gonna be somewhat fast and have alot of fighters. it will be alot like end run in a way but different in another way as the wing commander is left behind.as it is the thunderbolt is the best choice for me as it can carry torpedos and it can kick major culo in the right hands.

can someone tell me when the thunderbolt was first but in the fleet so I could get some idea on were the time line of the story will be.

RogueBanshee said:
No but there were some jump capable Sabres like the one in Fleet Action.

And there could just as easily be jump capable Thunderbolts.

The point though is that milatry was trying to write a story about a fighter stuck behind enemy lines without jump engines. Non-jump-capable Sabres exist, so they're a valid vehicle for his purposes.

Yes the non-jump-capable Sabres are nice but I've played with the Sabers in WC II and in Stand-Off but it's not good to me in a long battle. Meaning that the one lone fighter in an out numbered battle. The only thing that would be good and unreal about useing a Sabre in stead of a Thunderbolt is it would make the piolt way better then anyone else in the fleet.

I would like it if I could get a time when the thunderbolt first went in to service. That way I could get s timeline on the story and the universe that way i could pick out the systems the story will go through. Also can get the other ship in the story like other fighters and capships to be in the right time and place.

IIRC the Thunderbolt seen in WC3 is a fairly new version of the fighter...I'm not sure if there is a date for the first models introduction.

That's not so clear. Blair also refers to the Thunderbolt as an old fighter in WC3. There is no specific introduction date for the Thunderbolt or most fighters in Wing Commander. Things like star systems and fighters you run into are all peripheral to the actual story. You can write the same story in several different Wing Commander eras and just interchange the ships and locations pretty much. Don't let that kind of stuff confine you.

Back