"Repair"ations

hellcatv

Swabbie
Banned
It looks like the repair droid's mysterious underpinnings may be seeing the light of day as we finally have exposed the repair droids work and a list of damaged and operational systems on a given starship....

Thanks to Scheherazade and my combined efforts it looks like the full privateer repair system will be available for 1.0!

I think this was a sorely missing feature and I'm glad to announce that through pain and suffering I have brought it to the table ;-)

There are 2 variables I need to choose from:
a) how long does a given system take to repair
b) how long does static from the HUD take to repair... (it's per component)

I'm thinking 3 minutes and 24 minutes...but that seems a little long for sitting here and waiting for things to be fixed...
what do you folks think...

in addition some systems are nearly destroyed but repairable (listed gray as 0%) those are not repaired by your poor overworked droid

ANother issue: if the droid himself gets hampered and he's still slightly operational he can go ahead and fix himself

hellcatv said:
I'm thinking 3 minutes and 24 minutes...but that seems a little long for sitting here and waiting for things to be fixed...
what do you folks think...
Combat-wise, I think those are pretty reasonable. Long enough to make an impact on the battle, but not so tremendously long that the repairbot won't have any chance of making headway at bringing important systems back online before the battle ends.

Out of combat, though, those times are hugely long. I don't want to be sitting around for most of half an hour twiddling my thumbs waiting for my console to stop blinking. I immediately see two solutions. a) Speed the times up when there are no hostiles on the radar (because they really don't matter in those instances) or b) have the engine calculate how long your autopilot trips actually take and include those in the repair times (so the time spent repairing is time that I'm skipping over anyway with the autopilot).

my take :

droid level 1
5 minutes per system

droid level 2
2.5 minutes per system

and have the cockpit damage go away for each related system that is repaired.

i.e. your cockpit radar will have static till the radar system is repaired.

prioritize sytems
1 reactors
2 shields
3 afterburners
4, 5, 6... rest

-scheherazade

also, we should remove the equipped upgrades from the cargo manifest (redundancy)

just making note*

-scheherazade

hey guys, sounds like great work on the repair system.

I like Scavaneger's ideas, slower repair time in combat, faster otherwise.

but I think 5 minutes per system is too long. Also, for the price difference, if it was that long there would really be no point in not just waiting for enough $$ for a 2nd level droid.

IIRC, in the original the only time the repair droid was useful was on the long campaign missions into the frontier beyond the blockade systems. Otherwise there's always a base handy.

hellcatv said:
there is something called *purchasing* a repair
In the original Privateer I never payed to repair anything )except armor) once I had an advanced droid. It was fast enough that I could sit around for a few minutes and everything would be green again.

24 minutes is way too long. Why should the static stick around any longer than the actual system damage does?

There IS a feature in Vega Strike called Time Compression...you could just as easily use that to take care of the repair time blues.

By the way, I'm having a hell of a time repairing my armour right now. How do I do that at a base? So far I've just sold my armour and bought new, because Basic Repair doesn't seem to restore it.

that's the way to repair it in 0.9

in 1.0 you click on the fix button if your armor is yellow or red or gray

note: 1.0 only exists for people who nab the vegastrike CVS tree and get the binary that occasionally gets built

@Aron Figaro,

The Vega Strike time compression is only there as a developer's tool, and not really for general play. In time, it probably won't even be easily accessible to non-dev's. Also, I don't think armour can be repaired, what you're doing is correct, sell damages/buy new.

As to repair times, any way to measure it from the original? Like JKeefe I never paid for repairs after getting a droid so those times were good enough. The idea is really more repairing your systems inflight for the next battle, not repairing to continue your current fight.

Though occasionally it came in handy during a fight. If my maneuvering thrusters or afterburner died, I would switch to the damage screen and frantically wait for them to get repaired so I could run away, hoping my armor would last long enough.

originally you had to wait a LONG time to get in flight repairs done.

if you got really wrecked and survived, you were in for a half hour wait to get back to 100% online.

there is a definite purpose to on-base repairs, and that's time conservation.

in flight repair and on base repair both serve a purpose.

-scheherazade

Sure. I was saying it was possible (though luck was necessary) to survive for long enough in combat for that one system, be it afterburner or maneuvering thrusters, to be able to run away when it got fixed :)

Back