Reflections...

frostytheplebe

Seventh Part of the Seal
Well this is it wingnuts, my last rank before joining the ranks of the Avatars. To celebrate, I would like to go back through my history with the truly awesome title called Wing Commander.

My first Encounter with Wing Commander:
4th Grade, I was over my friend Dave's house. He introduced me to the game for the first time. His novel advice... shoot down your Wingman first so you get all the kills. Not the brightest friend I've ever had, admittedly. :p

The begining of the Madness:
1995 I was still mulling over how bad Rebel Assault 2 when my cousin shows up at my sister's confirmation party with a small box: The playstation port for Wing Commander 3 telling me that it had Mark Hamil in it. (Isn't that the guy from Star Wars? :D) I start playing it and love it... to date my cousin does not remember EVER loaning me that game or ever even having owned it. Which is fine by me as I've never returned it, nor have I ever intended to.

Sept 3rd 1997
Whilst finalizing my birthday shopping (for the 5th), my mother notices something in Funcoland "A new Wing Commander!? I wonder if Jimmy knows about this?" (I didn't). Played Wing Commander 4 for the first time... then my mother made me shut it off until I bought the TV for my room, she didn't particularly care for Maniac yelling out "Son of a Bitch" at the begining of the game... yeah thanks Maniac (Ass).

Early 1998...
Not a happy day for me. I found out that Wing Commander Prophecy had just come out, but I could not play it due to lack of a decent computer. But I began to become more curious about the older wing commanders and downloaded a port for Wing Commander 1 to try it out (Hey... wait a minute... I've played this before.) I called Dave to see if he still had it, he didn't. It was also at this point I began to wonder about this wreck known as the TCS Concordia. She looked so much different from every other Confed ship I saw. Clearly she had fighters flying off of her as you were on board her in WC2. I see how sad everyone was to see that she was destroyed and how much of a blow it was to morale... must be some kind of super ship, like some all powerful do or die battleship. So I sought to try to find some information and pictures on her, sadly my access to the internet was limited.

1999-2000
I began visiting the CIC during its earliest days to get as much info as I could on Wing Commander 2. Sadly, as I remember, there was little I could find save a few screenshots, and they were badly pixilated. Failed again...

Christmas 2000...
My Godfather walks in the door with, low and behold a Gold Edition Copy of Wing Commander 2... sadly, it doesn't work on my Windows 98 Machine... aparently the operating system was too fast for it. (UGH!!!)

Finally we got a new machine. Finally a Copy of Wing Commander Gold Edition to try out, finally I had played through it... still no luck with Wing Commander 2 (Mother F***) By now however, I was able to get a little more info on the Concordia, she was indeed a tough ship. A dreadnought, and Admiral Tolwyn's flagship. Though i still thought the flight deck was between the two pilons at the front of the ship. Like on the Victory. The picture I found here put that theory out of commission.

College... I recieved a Laptop with Windows XP and after a few hours... I GOT WING COMMANDER 2 TO PLAY!!!! The videos and auto pilot flew by at 10x the speed and no sound, but better then nothing. However my view of the Concordia was shattered when I realized just how vulnerable it was. She had trouble taking down a single cruiser... no longer was the Concordia the stand alone warship I thought she was. Still the best ship I get to fly off of.

Big year for me... got my ebay account, a newer computer, and picked up Armada, Privateer, Privateer 2, Academy and... The Kilrathi Saga. Finally I was able to play the Original Wing Commander 1 and Wing Commander 2 in all it's glory.

I finally joined up here after years of using the info from this site to do research due to an argument over the Concordia... don't remember exactly what it was over. Since then... well the rest is pretty much history you guys already know.

If you all would allow my the Luxury of a few more words, I would like to send out a few more thanks...

Loaf: You and I did not always see eye to eye, in fact we took pleasure in poking fun at one another over the last three years.

Lehah: Thank you again for helping me find another cross.

dundradal: Conversation after Conversation, and a fellow North Easterner we always seem to suppliment the history we post or add detail to the others opinion. You are easy going and a fun guy from what I've seen.

Mcgruff: I miss that dumb son of a bitch. I think i was the only who found his antics remotely funny.

Quarto: You have strong opinions and you stick to them. Good for you. You are also quite knowledgable and I do very much enjoy the history posts and conversations.

Mekt-Hakkikt: Always polite and fun to talk to.

Death: ... you're a creepy guy :p Nah you cool!

ChrisReid: You always stuck me as a man who keeps a close tie to the rules, but you've been fair and easygoing.

Eder: You used to partake in a lot of the Conversations around here. Haven;t see you in a while though. Come back!!!

Delance: I don't recall us seeing eye to eye much, still you're fun to argue with.

AD: You keep keeping everyone's little ass in line.

Well I think thats enough praise, now lets open the floor for other fond Wing Commander memories:

A first time?
A favorite Wingman?
A favorite post or board member?
Or just a fond Wing Commander memory.

Back