Recommendations for WC Armada?

KoN21

Spaceman
I have played every WC game in the universe except Armada. I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile (for any reasons other than having played every last WC game out there) to go out and get it.
How does Armada stand as a WC game against the series 1-6 (with SecOps)? Which of the WC games is the gameplay and engine more along the lines of?

Any other words of wisdom for or against Armada are very welcome.

Thanks.

Its the same engine as WC3 though lower resolution. It's an interesting RTS, space shooter hybrid. The real reason to get it though is so you can play other people online either in an Armada campaign or in the Proving grounds add on.

Though mouse control is non existent in space flight. So unless you're proficient with the keyboard you'll want to make sure you have a joystick.

armada was probably my favorite of all the WC games exept privateer 2

I love the command the carrier and build fighters bit!

Its the same engine as WC3 though lower resolution. It's an interesting RTS, space shooter hybrid. The real reason to get it though is so you can play other people online either in an Armada campaign or in the Proving grounds add on.

It's half turn-based strategy and half space sim. It's great that you can play it online with others now, but I played it forever in single player too. There's a lot of really special things about Armada, beyond multiplayer even. Half the game, from the manual to the fighters themselves, is from the Kilrathi perspective. There is also a small, but difficult, story based gauntlet for both sides too.

armada kicks butt! never played proving grounds.

Proving Grounds is really cool. It takes the 2 player capability from Armada and bumps it up to 6 players in an arena-style game. Things like the anti-cloaking gun and giant asteroids whose radar shadow you can hide in are only in Proving Grounds.

It's half turn-based strategy and half space sim. It's great that you can play it online with others now, but I played it forever in single player too. There's a lot of really special things about Armada, beyond multiplayer even. Half the game, from the manual to the fighters themselves, is from the Kilrathi perspective. There is also a small, but difficult, story based gauntlet for both sides too.

Proving Grounds is really cool. It takes the 2 player capability from Armada and bumps it up to 6 players in an arena-style game. Things like the anti-cloaking gun and giant asteroids whose radar shadow you can hide in are only in Proving Grounds.

Hehehe Yeah... I meant turn based and said RTS. That was really dumb of me.:eek:

Dude when are you gonna realise that they all suck monkeyballs?

And you wonder why you keep getting banned from places. Armada at the time it was released was a one of a kind game, Only today games like battle stations midway are comming as close to the complexity that this game had...

I don't understand why people feel the need to come to a forum like this and post garbage. I mean monkey balls? c'mon....

I discovered an interesting strategy for Armada by accident. I was down to my last fighter on my carrier, a banshee, and I decided to keep flying close to the Lex. The result was all the kilrathi fighters who flew to intercept me would be downed by the flak guns. For a few future campaigns, I would only ever equip my carrier with one fighter, and play all the way through!

That was obviously boring over the long haul, but I thought it was pretty cool back in the day.

Monkey Balls have actually been getting better and better as the years go by.

The Lexington had very powerful flak guns. Using her as cover usually works out, but if you ever lost that fighter, she'd be extremely vulnerable to torpedo bombers.

Thank you, Chris.

That was the last thing I expected to be posted, and it just hit me the right way. I laughed so hard my arm knocked coffee all over the computer.

You never notice you have no cleaning supplies until its too late...why is life like that? (btw, i can't believe that game is called that. I don't think I could ever take it seriously in a developmental or corporate setting...)

What a loser that guy was. Why would someone take the effort to join the group and post something so stupid.
If anything, WC was (hopefully soon to be is again) the best series ever and CIC is the best site ever for paying tribute to such a great series.

I can't think what would happen if I hadn't come upon the CIC. My WC days would have been faded distant memories, the originals would have still been sitting in a box in the attic.

Thanks again you guys

There were so many missed opportunities with Armada

It would have been awesome to command a fleet of capital ships, and they could have helped out a lot with maintaining your mining operations, and they could have been used as mobile fortresses

Wouldnt it have been great if there could be more than two fighters active on either side?

The flak guns in Armada were great. It’s the only Wing Commander game I’ve played where the capital ships actually seemed like a threat to the fighters.

So let me get this right, Armada is half turn based half sim and you build your own fleet and then fly it? That's awesome. You can only fly 2 ships though?

you build your own fighter force in turn based strategy mode.. you command your carrier looking for the enemy carrier and harvesting resources from planets.. then you hop in the cockpit of a fighter whenever the enemy comes close and kick butt old school.

So let me get this right, Armada is half turn based half sim and you build your own fleet and then fly it? That's awesome. You can only fly 2 ships though?

You can have any number of ships available to you, but the game engine only allows two in flight at a system battle at any one time. If you get shot down and have another ship available, you can move to the new ship and continue, and if the AI pilot gets shot down the next fighter steps in for the dead fighter.

Given that a 486/100 was a pretty high-end system at that time (Pentiums were known, but not widely available, IIRC), I can't blame them too much for not wanting to put in massive battles with a lot of fighters present simultaneously, given how math-intensive AI computations in general can be.

That's really awesome, I had a Gateway Pentium 60 around the time that WC3 came out and my friends used to come over to play WC3 because it ran so good.
My how things have changed.

btw. you guys are very convincing, next armada i see on ebay or anywhere else is coming home with me

Wow, this reminds me of what a blast Armada was back in the day. I have fond memories of playing armada with LOAF and how much better he was at it than I was!

In fact, I don't think I ever won a battle, but it was still a blast!

Back