Reckoning Recommisioned

Bob McDob

Better Health Through Less Flavor
Mmkay, school's out and we're officially into summer, I think - but more importantly, I managed to miraculously get Freelancer installed on my junkyard Gateway that won't even install Microsoft Office. That means things should recommence happening here shortly. Give me a whack if they don't.

Every time I visit the forum this thread is the first one I check. But don't worry, I ain't gonna whack you or nothing. :D

Bob's moving across the country this week, so don't expect anything right away.

Mini-update:

Reckoning is up and running on my laptop, which is unfortunately a lot slower than my usual desktop, so things may proceed slower than otherwise. On the plus side, I have reworked the commodities; you can actually make money on cargo runs now (I made a clean 30,000 during a couple jaunts from Hector/Achilles to Helen). The Tarsus ... is still a piece of junk, but it has 50% more hit points, so with an afterburner you'll have at least a fighting chance in it. The Ferret is larger and more expensive, and I'm moving it to InSys precinct stations (previously Militia bases) scattered throughout Gemini; same goes for Rapier. I'm also looking into toning down the number of encounters.

Duriel also noticed a problem with the Junction system, so the next release may actually enable inter-quadrant play.

Other plans:

Replace the current merc/militia bases with the WCII Starbase model
Replace the plethora of Ranger carriers with another ship (Exeter? Waterloo?)
Replace standard Freelancer Transport Train with heavy transport (courtesy of Marc)
Get an actual Raptor model for the Raptor

I still haven't found anyone to get a permanent fix on the junction systems; enthusiasm for Freelancer seems to have totally drained out. I'll keep posted, as always

Any word on when the next beta release will be to incorporate these upgrades?

How about a project website?

Do you have a higher resolution/less compressed version of the splash screen?

Enthusiam is a fickle thing. Half the time project managers are the ones who generate it. You can't always count on fans to create the demand. I guarantee any good mod that steadily updates will get its share of enthusiasm though.

That is one GORGEOUS planet down there, very well done Bob. ...or whoever did it.

Yeah, I need to post credits, because nothing except the composition is mine.

(Hehe, it's actually Coruscant).

Hey, things are happening here again! I'm ready and willing to help out, just point me in the right direction.

Bob McDob said:
Replace the current merc/militia bases with the WCII Starbase model...

would you be willing to add non-canon types of bases?
say... something like a space colony carved into an asteroid- but visualy different from a mining-base...
I can try it out and post some visuals here so you could make a judjement call on it...

Marc said:
would you be willing to add non-canon types of bases?
say... something like a space colony carved into an asteroid- but visualy different from a mining-base...
I can try it out and post some visuals here so you could make a judjement call on it...

Quite possibly ... however, as I think I've said earlier, replacing bases is a tad, say, problematic for me at the moment (not impossible or even buggy, just more work - of course, with a mod, what doesn't need work). It might work for some of the Mercenary bases - show it up and let's see what you can whip.

There's a good chance I'll be away the next few days, though, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear from me (not that *that* wouldn't be particularly different, I guess ;\)

Off the top of my head, I'd say this is about the direction I was thinking about.
pretty basic... needs refining... but you get the general picture.

Attachments

• RockBase01.jpg
    RockBase01.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 225
  • RockBase02.jpg
    RockBase02.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 200
Here's another stab at it...

Attachments

• RockBase03.jpg
    RockBase03.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 223
  • RockBase04.jpg
    RockBase04.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 230
I like the second version better, it doesn't look like New Constantinople. But the antenna/external dock things are weird.

Yeah, even I have to admit that. I was going for a big docking..."thing" but it's not really working. There aren't really that many 'generic' elements you can put on an asteroid base, I mean- there's the docking bay, the big metal towers poking out and the glass domes- once those three elements are there it's pretty mutch 'repeat'.

Back