Reckoning Gamma

Bob McDob

Better Health Through Less Flavor
Get it here

I was going to update it more, but I got a crapload of work dropped on me so I thought I'd release it the general public. Keep in mind that this is essentially a test build, not a full-fledged release - I'd have to fix things like the system crashes before I could play this. It is, however, fully playable, and mining bases are 76.5% less painful to dock at.

This is very frustrating.

I can't find any missions in the local area that I actually have a chance at, pirates manage to outrun me even when I'm on cruise, so they have free reign firing at me and shooting missiles at me, and I can't fight back because they come in arrows and orions and I can't hope to fight back.

The one mission I did manage to finish was an apprehension mission. I tractored in the escape pod and landed. When I landed it told me I failed because I died while on the mission. Not true! :<

The mission generator spawned a Retros base in the middle of the mining base, and as I tried to go around the base to get to it, I crashed into empty space and blew up.

Then I got frustrated and quit. :<

That's one of the reasons I wasn't planning on releasing it yet :\

About the missions: it may be due to the mission difficulty being racked up too much. I disabled it in the latest build, but I'm not sure which that is right now.

I apologize if this all seems rather scatterbrained; both of my interweb connections crapped out so I'm probably not going to be around much for a while. I'll check the mod and carry on, anyway

The InSys Rapier's afterburners are pointing upwards, I think you have to edit the model to fix it, though. Also, I personally thought that the external camera was too close to the ship, so I changed the camera in the shiparch.ini from "10, 32" to "15, 52". Also, I changed the cockpit model from li_fighter to bw_fighter, because I thought it was closer to the Rapier's cockpit.

Also, the recharge rates for some of the shields seem absurdly fast, most noticably in the lower level shields, I don't know if this was to balance their weakness, but it makes fighting several pirate Talons and Arrows at once an unbearably long battle, plus it makes missiles a waste against them, as their sheilds will negate them in about 2 seconds.

EDIT: There's some bad voodoo going on with transfering parts when buying new ships.
Also, your enemies seem to exclusively go out of their way to attack you. It doesn't matter if they were engaging 10 bounty hunters, once you enter sensor range you're the center of their universe. They will hound you til the death, or until they decide to run or land at the planet/base they were attacking. (huh?)

Good job otherwise :)

Also, I would like to know if you need someone to work on the nusances with the .ini files. I would be willing to help with these minor problems I mentioned. Should I be talking to Bob McDob about this?

Thanks.
Now in retrospect I should have posted that in the "Feed(back)" thread, oh well.

Screwing around with the small stuff in the .ini's can probably not seem very important to those trying to fix crashes and implement new stuff, but I like to nitpick this stuff so I'm offering my aid.

Don't worry too much about it - this stuff is just as useful (in many ways more so) than the big stuff we know about already.

Alastor said:
Also, your enemies seem to exclusively go out of their way to attack you. It doesn't matter if they were engaging 10 bounty hunters, once you enter sensor range you're the center of their universe. They will hound you til the death, or until they decide to run or land at the planet/base they were attacking. (huh?)

This seemed to always be a problem with Freelancer in general.

True, I suppose it's much more noticable here, as Talons and Arrows while afterburning can chase a ship down at cruise speeds. However, this time it seems that they ALL come after me, even if they were fighting something else, generally leading to a frantic train of ships as you desperatly try to figure out which way you should approach a mining base or refinery to quickdock with minimal damage.

I think this is because in Freelancer the enemy AI will not cruise after a target. They will burn after it and launch all the cruise disrupters and missiles they can, but usually a ship at cruise speeds will be able to escape and the AI will disengage once they are out of sensor range. Here it is not the case, as the Talons and Arrows can tail a cruising ship for a few minutes without running out of afterburner fuel. Eventually the fleeing ship will escape, but not after being hounded for quite awhile.

I feel this kind of simulates not being able to autopilot away from a conflict, which I don't mind. However, the amount of pirate ships in the Troy system alone is unreasonable for this, as any beginner who doesn't trade their Tarsus for the impossible to hit Ferret will quickly be cut down by 10 pirates once they have their first launch (this happened to me :p ).

Oh well, maybe I'm just teh suxxor when it comes to combat... ;)

The starting Tarsus in Gamma really isn't built for combat. 1 slow-firing laser and weak shields... I could hold my own against a few Talons for a while but with how quickly shields regenerate in this game and with how frequently new enemies show up I just get tired of it.

Alastor said:
THAT is a Freelancer problem, not a mod problem.
The Freelancer engine is set up to attack the player at all costs.
By manipulating the AI, I managed to tone it down, a bit, in the last version I released.
Bob mentioned that he disabled that, so it's back to the default Freelancer version.

It requires changing the priority of targets attacked.
IE: Place fighters/freighters lower than transports, battleships, cruisers, etcetera.
It's either in "Pilots_Story.ini" or "Pilots_Population.ini" can't remember which.
(Priority of factions attacked isn't an option, IIRC.)

Nomad Terror said:
The starting Tarsus in Gamma really isn't built for combat. 1 slow-firing laser and weak shields... I could hold my own against a few Talons for a while but with how quickly shields regenerate in this game and with how frequently new enemies show up I just get tired of it.
Up, until v4.5, it was combatworthy.
Many players complained that in Privateer, the Tarsus was, at best, a mediocre transport.
So, ever since, it's been gimped!

Well if the Tarsus isn't battle ready, and the commodity trading system isn't set up to generate sufficient amounts of profit to buy upgrades quickly...

Thank God fot the impossible-to-hit and rather cheap Ferret... but then why even bother with starting the game in a flying coffin?

warzog said:
THAT is a Freelancer problem, not a mod problem.
The Freelancer engine is set up to attack the player at all costs.
By manipulating the AI, I managed to tone it down, a bit, in the last version I released.
Bob mentioned that he disabled that, so it's back to the default Freelancer version.

It requires changing the priority of targets attacked.
IE: Place fighters/freighters lower than transports, battleships, cruisers, etcetera.
It's either in "Pilots_Story.ini" or "Pilots_Population.ini" can't remember which.
(Priority of factions attacked isn't an option, IIRC.)

That makes sense, I guess I only noticed it now because of the fact that they can chase you for a VERY long time now (as mentioned in my last post).

Thanks for the tip about changing attack priorities! :D

warzog said:
Up, until v4.5, it was combatworthy.
Many players complained that in Privateer, the Tarsus was, at best, a mediocre transport.
So, ever since, it's been gimped!

Ah yes, I remember in one version it had three or four guns and a turret! :eek:

Marc said:
Well if the Tarsus isn't battle ready, and the commodity trading system isn't set up to generate sufficient amounts of profit to buy upgrades quickly...

Yeah, that really bugged me too. The commodity profit/prices seem way off-kilter. The only items I recall gave you a profit in a Helen => Hector/Achilles run was Generic Foods and grain (and a $1 profit per unit at that :( ). So I had to buy the Ferret so I could make a profit by selling off salvage from fights (pirates drop Ultimate left and right, woohoo! :p ) So that kind of set the pace off of how most people started Privateer. Oh well, not too big of a deal to me now, I really like flying that Rapier around!

There is definately some bugs in the IDS system, cause I see stuff named funky every where, especially Fariss.

Plus I'm working on some new ship models, your welcome to use them when I'm finished Bob.

Back