Reboot upon startup of Privateer

U

Unregistered

I have a strange problem and was wondering if anyone can help me with it. I created a bootdisk for my 550 MhZ Pentium computer and boot up directly into dos.

I own the original Privateer CD game and I install it and made the config and autoexec files pretty much like they recommended in the manual. This means I used the I=B000-B7FF line and load everything in upper memory. This gives me something line 603 K of free space.

I start the game and it switches video modes (i can hear the monitor "click" and then the system reboots. I never see any pictures or anything. I am using a TNT 2 card with 32 MB of memory.

I tried getting the game to work in a windows 98 dos mode and I did achieve this (without sound or mouse). So the game can work. Is there any thoughts on what could be the problem? I can share any other information that may be relevant.

By the way, the dos disk i used has been used for other programs and they work fine. Seems to be a privater problem. The other information is when it worked in windows 98 the I=B000-B7FF line was absent (could this be the problem?) I tried eliminating it and I can not get enough memory with my cd drivers loaded to get the game to start.

Please Help.

3 suggestions to follow:

1) I´m not sure what´s causing your computer to reboot, but it may be a sound issue. Try disabling sound in the install and start the game in DOS, just to see if it works.

2) You could also try the MyJemm utility, which usually gets Priv1 running fine in plain Win98.

3) I can´t run Priv on my computer with the I=B000-B7FF thing. Try removing it and leaving your emm386.exe like this:
device=c:\windows\emm386.exe ram 16384

Try option #1 first, just to check if it is a sound issue, then #3 and #2.

Numbers 1 and 3 did not work. As a matter of fact when i got rid of the I statement and the sound i would get a black screen and nothing - system hang up.

I tired myjemm and no problem the game works fine, thank you! However, I do not have any sound. How do i get the sound up and running. Does the sound go through the install, in other words do i need to set the sound in the sound.cfg or does it go through windows. I have a sound card live in this computer and it does work in windows. The documentation said the program has been found compatible with this card.

Could someone please help me with this question?

Unregistered said:
Numbers 1 and 3 did not work. As a matter of fact when i got rid of the I statement and the sound i would get a black screen and nothing - system hang up.

But it stopped rebooting, didn´t it? :D

Unregistered said:
I tired myjemm and no problem the game works fine, thank you! However, I do not have any sound. How do i get the sound up and running. Does the sound go through the install, in other words do i need to set the sound in the sound.cfg or does it go through windows. I have a sound card live in this computer and it does work in windows. The documentation said the program has been found compatible with this card.

The sound is enabled through the install.exe. I haven´t been able so far to get both sound AND music working under Windows, so I disable sound and let only the music on. I haven´t tried hard to get them both working, so I´ll give it another shot later.

In the meantime, try to see if you can get music OR sound effects working, not both at the same time. And try not to push on the configurations: use regular sound blaster for the sound effects and regular sound blaster or general midi (recommended) for music.

In any case, make sure the "ram 16384" thing is present on your emm386.exe line. The "16384" number is directly related to the sound effects.

I get both sound and music with MyJemm. I didn't have to do anything special or anything. It just worked when I tried it. Maybe it's because I have a real SB16 and I'm not just trying to emulate it on my SB Live.

I was trying a lot of combinations. I get sound effects but it locks up on one of the opening screens usually. I tried IRQ 7 and 5 in my autoexec.bat and I can not even get the sound to work at all with IRQ 5. It gives me an improper configuration. I think it has to do with the soundblaster live. I guess I will have to live without sound. Next stop is to try to get my joystick to work properly.

Good luck with that. I couldn't get it to work with my Sidewinder, so I had to dig out my old Gravis Gamepad.

Unregistered said:
I was trying a lot of combinations. I get sound effects but it locks up on one of the opening screens usually. I tried IRQ 7 and 5 in my autoexec.bat and I can not even get the sound to work at all with IRQ 5. It gives me an improper configuration. I think it has to do with the soundblaster live.

Same way with me, I have a SB PCI 128 but, as I said, I haven´t tried hard yet.

I have the PCI 128 also, and I've managed to get some sound in Privateer (DOS 6.22). Initially I had problems with the game hanging at the intro. I was able to fix this by going into my BIOS and reserving IRQ 5.

Also don't forget to change the sbpci.ini as well as the autoexec.bat as far as IRQ configurations go.

But like I said, I only have partial sound working, so if you have any more luck, please let me know.

Anyway, good luck!

Soundproblems with Privateer

Pribateer runs fine in my configuration
i use a Soundblaster 16 (ISA)
but when i enable the sound and the Speech when i use the Laser gun of the ship
i get a scratching noise.
using IRQ 5
DMA 1
The game runs fine exept the FX Sound
What could help?

Privateer characters aren't talking

Hi, what do I need to do in order to get my speech pack working? I downloaded the speech pack and put it in the same folder as the Privateer files but instead of talking, my characters just do text on the bottom of the screen. Back before I lost the CD, I remember they talked throughout the game (like in the intro).

Thanks,
Rannier

There's an option buried somewhere in the *.pif file for Priv.exe that's causing your system to reboot, most likely. I had the same problem under '98 with some programs until I adjusted it. I belive it's somewhere under the Program tab when you right-click Priv.exe and select 'Properties,' but I don't remember where for sure since I haven't used '98 in years. I do know that selection is in there, somewhere. Just dig around, and look for a button like 'Advanced.'

In this case, however, you are probably better off with it doing that anyway rather than trying to get MyJemm to work under Windows 98 when you have a perfectly good DOS installation lying around, IMO.

Back