Reaper gun

Patriot

Spaceman
What ever happened to that gun? I don't remember seeing it on anything but Excalibers. Were they still using them in WC4 or Prophecy?

In WC3, I remenber the reaper gun was still in test.
And the reaper is modified ion cannon. I don´t know why, but all the reapers seens to have been replaced by ions, after WC3. And there is no reaper guns in WCP.

I liked it. It fired fast and had light energy drain. Did it turn out to not be useful on the newer ships or am I just asking stupid questions?

The Confed retired it from service because it don´t works as expected and was too expensive to built. We can see the reaper gun also in WC2 (Wraith). You are not making stupid questions because I liked that gun too and I´m not sure if that was the reason for the cancel of the gun. LOAF would know more precisely...

It could also just be the fact that the game designers were keeping the number of guns to a minimum - hence they replaced the Reaper on the Excalibur with the Ion. :) But the newer Excaliburs were scaled down models, anyway, so the cost cutting story also works.

Although in some case, the "keep the number of gun types to a minimum" approach generated a serious increase in firepower. The Thunderbolt went from having two plasma guns, two photons and two meson blasters in WC3 (basically one pair of heavy hitters in the plasma guns and two pairs of light/medium weapons) to having four plasma cannons and two photons in WC4. OUCH! Made me all the more regretfull we didn't get the option of flying a T-Bolt in WC4.

Best, Raptor

[Edited by Raptor on 04-27-2001 at 05:23]

The Reaper cannon did, indeed, enter service... and it was amazingly succesfull, destroying more Kilrathi ships in the last year of the war than all other guns combined!

Is the reaper any relation to the Chain Ion cannon of
WCPSO? They seem to have the same properties -- smaller
energy drain, smaller damage, much more rapid fire.

BTW. When I played WC3 I found the Reaper to be overrated.
Gimme them four Tachyon cannons any day.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
The Reaper cannon did, indeed, enter service... and it was amazingly succesfull, destroying more Kilrathi ships in the last year of the war than all other guns combined!

So what happened to it? Budget cuts? :(

I also didn't notice anything special with the Reaper, especially since WC3 guns are just different coloured bolts.

Yeah the Tachyon gun did all my damage for me. But hey, in WC1/2 they were different colored balls (exept the Nuetron gun, which was multicolored:)) It was a nice change!

Um i forget if i had a point... its late.

So what happened to it? Budget cuts?

Maybe so. Then again, maybe its name. After the war, when Confed’s raison d’etre returned to “peace-building”, perhaps the gun developed, to borrow a modern example, a “Carnivore” problem.:)

Originally posted by Silent Warrior
I doubt it. The Reaper was kinda cool, but the Chain Ion just 0wns j00! :D Well, it's fun to use, anyway. I'd say that the Reaper has more in common with Pulse Particle Cannon.

You do not mean that, do you? I found the Chain Ion the only gun in SOPS which just sucked. It had crappy range, speed and damage. It was out-classed by the Pulse Particle in every way.

Funny that in WCAcademy and Armada the Reaper was a heavy powerful gun and in WC3 she was a light fast-firing weapon. Nice change, especially when you think that Armada takes place in the same year as WC3. Perhaps they are differnt variants...
Don't know why the Ion cannon replaced so much weapons. While I like it for being, well, likeable, I don't think it is a very good weapon...

Uhm... there's only a .5 cm difference between the two games -- and Armada's actually has a higher refire rate... so I'm not sure what exactly you're talking about...

I am talking about the Reaper being the most powerful weapon in Armada and WCAcademy and being a not hard-hitting weapon in WC3.

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 04-28-2001 at 10:13]

Yes, I realized that when you posted it. Still, it drops from being one of the most powerful to a rather weak weapon.
It's just like a PC getting outdated after 6 months. Or the quick rise of the Tachyon gun.

ok, so i know this is an ANCIENT thread... but i really want this answered.

if the reaper is so much better than the ion in every department, AND successful in the field, why was it phased out?

was it simply cost-cutting? it had really good range. :(

even if it was due to this reason, one would think they could salvage some technology to at least improve the ion, perhaps a mk2 varient...

also, if its true that it took out more kilrathi than all other guns combined in the final year, then it suggests wide-spread deployment, which kinda knocks out the suggestion of exhorbitant cost.

cheers,

joe

Back