Rapier Today, Gone Tomorrow (April 4, 2007)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Welcome, nitpickers! We've rendered out the original 3D models of the Wing Commander 2 and Super Wing Commander Rapier IIs so you can compare them to the new Wing Commander Arena wallpaper rendering released yesterday. The transition between the three designs is pretty clear -- although the new details make the 'Blade' stand on its own. But don't take my word for it...

The Rapier II also appeared in the original Wing Commander... but unfortunately no one has located the original game's 3D models. If you liked this update, you'll also enjoy our TCS Midway comparison!

--
Original update published on April 4, 2007

Last edited by a moderator:
amiga format? wow sounds like the grand-grand-grand-father of good old *.3ds...
may I rate the three fighters?
Therefor I would defenitely prefer the original WC2 model. I always loved that shape and the 2 vertical side wings of the ship. the SWC version looks a bit boring and, sorry guys the wc arena version is on the last place in my personal rating.
but you got a nice shot to compare and notice the desing evolution, loaf.

The Rapier from WC 2 is the most beautiful.

But in that row, the Rapier from Arena looks quite bulky. While that may fit well with the Arena setting, it's contrary to my view of the Rapier as a fast and nimble attack fighter. I think I therefore like the SWC Rapier a bit better than the Arena one. Though it might be just the colour that makes the Arena one look so heavy. On the other hand, the Arena Midway put on some weight as well from its looks. :)

Now I am even unsure if I like the SWC Rapier better than the WC1 (PC) Rapier...

One background part for Arena is that the more advanced armors aren't available -- so older fighters have been upgraded by having regular Dursasteel welded to them. It'll be more apparent when you see all three versions side by side...

Amazing to see these "before and after" shots. The amount of care the modeler took to preserve the Rapier's shape is admirable; it's new without being something totally divergent.

The wc2 model is my favorite as well, but you can definately tell the Arena model has seen YEARS of good use and quite a few patch jobs and they made it sound crazy when the FRLN was using them in 2670, 30 years later the odometers on those fighters must have rolled over quite a few times.

Now that I think about it, looking at all the Arena ships reminds me of the KIS Karga/FRLS Mjnolir after he was patched up and Bear and his shuttle pilot (whose name is elluding me now) look at him while doing a survey. Makes you appreciate the heydays of the war a little bit with all the shiny new fighters.

It almost kinda looks like they were combining the three known rapiers... I seem to see even a hint of the movie rapier in the model.

One background part for Arena is that the more advanced armors aren't available -- so older fighters have been upgraded by having regular Dursasteel welded to them. It'll be more apparent when you see all three versions side by side...

Ah yes, that's why I thought it fits well with the Arena setting. I remember something like that mentioned in the interview but I couldn't figure out what they meant. Now it's clear.

Back