Random WCP Crashes in Win2K

jammyo2k

Spaceman
I'm running a PC with a 350Mhz Processor, 256 Mb RAM with a 32Mb GeForce MX Graphics card under Win2k. I have patched WCP to run under 2K and the game now starts without issue. The problem I have is that the game now cuts out at apparently random times. I have reduced this a little by lowering the hardware acceleration on my soundcard and by cutting out as many of the in-flight comms (i.e. extra video and sound). This has allowed me to get to the third mission. Unfortunately the game then crashes every time I try to play a mission after that. This problem also occurs in the simulator although it becomes even more unpredictable. As far as I can make out all of the drivers on my machine are the latest available. I'm also using the Beta version of Directx 8.1 (which has now expired and insists on giving me multiple prompts to upgrade whenever I try to watch a video even though this is impossible :mad: ). I had the same problem when I was running directx 8.0a.

Is it possibly DirectX that's the problem? Last I played WCP it was on DX8.0 with no problems, but admittedly that was on Win98.

There is a patch available to make WCP compatable with Win2k. Go to the file section of wcnews.com to download it.

I've already tried that. DirectX 8.0a is the only one currently available and that will not install over 8.1. The installer just runs and nothing is changed. And besides, as I mentioned earlier, the problem was present before I upgraded. The reason for the upgrade was to get WCP working properly.

I have the same experience, P3 650MHz 512MB ram, ATI All-in-Wonder 128.
Loaded the latest certified version of DirectX for Win2K/NT , loaded the WCP Win2k patch and the updated .dll .
Set to D3D driver mode ( runs Freespace 2 and other similar sims with no problems at all )
The game starts and run perfectly until I get to combat situations, then at random points it will kick back to W2K with error message generated about prophect.exe creating an error
I have the error log file which I am happy to send to anyone who can diagnose these memory dumps - your help appreciated in diagnosing the problem
thanks
kevin W

Is there a solution to this?

I am experiencing the same exact problem. I have windows 2000 pro, the latest version of DirectX, and a TNT2/32MB AGP video card.

The game drops to windows anytime there is a movie sequence or I am in combat.

Please help!

Random Crashings

Hiya..... when i play WCP or SO it crashes in combat at any given time, and i mean it hangs big time.... i have to reset the computer, it wont boot out or anything. i remember some time ago getting a v3 prophcey fix that fixed it, but now 3dfx has gone, it isnt on the site anymore.... does anyone know where i can get this? my spec is -
athlon tbird 1Ghz
128mB RAM
Voodoo 3 3000 AGP
soundblaster 1024 live! value
and i use a MS sidewinder precision pro joystick with WIN98

Looks like we are in the minority as I don't see anyone rushing to help us out from the "Tech Support" ?? group.
I'll reload everything and try again , if it still fails, I'll try my old Voodoo 3 card , and if that fails it's back to Dual boot win98SE and Win2k.
What fun this is, one of these days we'll get some decent support from Origin / Microsoft , all these upgrades are a killer

regards
kevin w

theyre probably just busy..... and i swear there was a fix on 3dfx.com, but now thats gone i cant find it. sit tight mate, im waiting too :)

3dfx.com has gone offline? i didn't know that, have you tried 3dfxgamers.com IIRC they had a lot of patches and stuff as well

of course, i forgot about that... but yes..... 3dfx was brought by ATi i think....... or something like that ATi or Nvidia....

Back