Question on WC2

Curly

Spaceman
I have a PentiumII 350 with 128 megs of ram. What would the optimal MoSlo % setting be for Wing Commander 2?

Start on the slowest setting possible and work your way up. Also using CRTL (+ or -) or ALT (+ or -) adjusts how many frames per second are shown when you are using the DOS version. Can't remember exactly which one it is, but I could get it to play well with that until I finally bought KS.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

http://www.ntr.net/~vondoom

The best way to play WC1/WC2 is to find an old 386. I kept mine, and I still use it to play WC1/WC2, even if I own Kilrathi Saga (on witch I never played the WC1/WC2). KS adaptation sucks compared to the original 386 feel
smile.gif
Well, at least that's my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
How is the feel any different at all???? The only difference is that the music is in digital format, not midi. Everything else in the game is the same, except frame limited and made to run in windows 95. Plus you can drop the cockpit. The gameplay itself is unchanged.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

http://www.ntr.net/~vondoom

It IS different. The limited framerate in the Win95 is not quite right, and has some annoying bugs in the music + I don't like the new sound FX. Also the storyline's framerate haven't been adjusted in the Win95 version. But most importantly: the DirectInput adaptation for the controller sucks. It makes it herder to aim than it was in the original version.

Popsicle thats odd the aiming for me in WC1+2 KS is perfect although WC3 (and the w95 wc4) are FAR too sensitive at the centre.
The storyline problem can be fixed with something like turbo which doesn't seem to effect gameplay at all on mine, strange eh?
Personally I like the digital music but I can only listen to the midi's on wc2 (wc1 runs all funny)
My dream WC machine is still a P200 with TV output and a voodoo

I still have my 386 too, but I'd still like to have the 'improved' music for those first two games.

[This message has been edited by Wedge009 (edited October 04, 2000).]

I've already listened to 'em. Is that what it's supposed to be? Nice anyway.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I can't seem to listen to SO1 speech. It'd be nice if you could decode that.

The word is given.

Actually, this is a good place to introduce a project I've been running through my head -- I'm looking for a programmer familiar with audio related stuff and Wing Commander 1 to try to add speech to said game... the speech itself will come from the SegaCD edition of Wing 1, but we need some way to tell an external program to trigger it at ther ight points...

------------------
Long live the Confederation,
Baron Ben "LOAF" Lesnick, LMG
http://www.wcnews.com - http://www.wcenc.com
loaf@mail.utexas.edu - AIM: BanditLOAF
"You go, LOAF! Get some!" -JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I`ll extract the speech packs, but regarding the project, I`m really out of my league here. At the most, I could supply the sound, but adding it to the game is more than I can do.
Maybe in 3 years, when I`m out of uni.

Theoretically we know how it can be done, as we know where the speech is read from in the WC1 files, if one could monitor what part of the file is being accessed one should be able to create a program to play the proper speech files. Of course I have no idea how to do it, in practice.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC
You are in no way entitled to any WC games, if you don't have them its your own damn fault.

O.k, the 4 speech packs from SO1 are up here .
They`re called Speech10/20/21/22.mp3. I can also upload the speech packs from WC2, but I don`t think I have enough webspace up there.

E-mail me and I can hook you up with more hosting space.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC
You are in no way entitled to any WC games, if you don't have them its your own damn fault.

Back