Question on the Timeline

Re:Skippers

WC3 states them as a new weapon in the first mission you encounter them (just played it recently), while Strakha destroyed the claw before that. So no, Strakha came first, Shok'lar second (Armada), Skippers later.

Well...

The order in which we are introduced to technologies in the games is not necessarily the order they were introduced during the war. I hear people go through the same tired old gripes time and again, "But didn't we see the such-and-such first in WC II? Well then why is it in the movie?" But the answer remains the same, just because we didn't see it until a specific date did not mean they didn't exist ;)

But is true, the cloak capship missile is a prototype in WC III, That is what Eisen says.
Besides the Tiger´s claw was taken out by cloak ships, if cloak tecnology existed before Blair´s story about cloak ships would be belive.
Also the WC II manual says that cloaking tecnology is beyond Confederation and Kilrathi tecnology.

There are many many levels of cloaking technology.. (not incredibly dissimilar from the many many levels of phase shielding). I could go into detail, or I could say that whenever you see something about cloaking that you think might be odd, just think that's it's two different cloaking techs you're thinking of.

Yes but the one in the movie behaves just like the "skipper" on WC III, it gets out of cloaking every 20 seconds to maintain Lock.
They even call him Skipper.

Originally posted by Dragon
But is true, the cloak capship missile is a prototype in WC III, That is what Eisen says.
The Vorg'chath is a new missile in WC3, but as far as we know the one in the movie is a completly different missile. We already know that it doesn't have the power to destroy a capship like the Claw if her shields are at full strength.

Besides the Tiger´s claw was taken out by cloak ships, if cloak tecnology existed before Blair´s story about cloak ships would be belive.
It most likelly did exist for few years already. Note that the Claw is destroyed in 2656, while the movie takes place in 2654, just two years earlier. Also, Blair's story isn't only about cloaks. Tolwyn believed that Blair might have just been incompetent.

Also the WC II manual says that cloaking tecnology is beyond Confederation and Kilrathi tecnology.
<sarcasm>And we all know that Confed inteligence should always be trusted.:)</sarcasm>

How can it be beyond Kilrathi technology if the Claw was destroyed before WC2 even takes place?

Because the manual shows that Confed Intel doesn't know about the existance of Cloakers and thus that explains why nobody trusted blair's explanation of the cloaked ships. Just as a thought if the movie is in 2654 and so is WCATV, what is the time difference between the two? after the acadamy cruise on the Tigers Claw, Tolwyn seems to immediatly jump a few ranks (remeber that there are the ranks of Rear and Vice admiral before the rank of Full Admiral can be obtained, look in Victory Streak). The Claw also aquires new pilots and crew men, who seem pretty comfortable onboard, then blair and maniac have to get home to Earth and then come back to the Claw. Seems to be a pretty crouded timeline, perhaps if the CIC ever finishes the Timeline, we could all be certain. :)

I know that I sould not put that part.you would get the wrong idea.The Report is incorrect, the shipward/factory was destroyed by the Kilrahi because it was on that Kilrathi planet that rebels and join Confed.and that push the Cloak fighters 10 years back.

The manual have a part that is suppose to be reports on actual tecnologie like jane´s something that is a report on Figthers, Starships and Bases on WC II, that part is about phase shields,flak guns,antimatter guns, the phase-transit Gun and Cloaking Tecnologie.

The Vorg'chath is a new missile in WC3? I never heard or seen anything about that missile in the game.Please fill me in.

[Edited by Dragon on 01-22-2001 at 22:50]

Originally posted by Napoleon
Just as a thought if the movie is in 2654 and so is WCATV, what is the time difference between the two? after the acadamy cruise on the Tigers Claw,
Academy takes place before the movie (or at least the first few episodes).

Tolwyn seems to immediatly jump a few ranks (remeber that there are the ranks of Rear and Vice admiral before the rank of Full Admiral can be obtained, look in Victory Streak).
Actually, not untill Fleet Action when most of the Chief's of Staff are killed does Tolwyn get promoted from Rear Admiral to full Adm. So, he mearly jumped one step from Commodore to Rear Adm.

The Claw also aquires new pilots and crew men, who seem pretty comfortable onboard, then blair and maniac have to get home to Earth and then come back to the Claw. Seems to be a pretty crouded timeline, perhaps if the CIC ever finishes the Timeline, we could all be certain. :)
Not only does the Claw have 104+ pilots on board, many of whom we don't see before, pilots are dying at a pretty constant rate. Replacements can be arriving all the time.
The Vorg'chath is a new missile in WC3? I never heard or seen anything about that missile in the game.Please fill me in.
Sure you have... The Vork'chath is the cloaking Kilrathi missile which they droped on Locanda, and it was codenamed Skipper by Confed.:)

well we get to see a test in orsini System, its lauch by a corvette to a transport.
Eisen says "...The Kilrahti are developing a new kind of missile, intel call them skipper, because they skip out of cloak ever few seconds to mantain contact on the target.."
That sound familiar.

Eisen says "...The Kilrahti are developing a new kind of missile, intel call them skipper, because they skip out of cloak ever few seconds to mantain contact on the target.."
Yes, and that tells us that they're working on a new cloaking missile, but "Skipper" is just a codename that Confed came up with, and it doesn't mean that those missiles are the same.

tell that to that corvette it just fire one of those, They cloak, after some time decloak and recloak until they hit his target.

Just like the Skipper in the movie.That thing sould never show up in a movie that takes place BEFORE WC III, were they are first used.

That was the moment that truly ruins the movie for me.

tell that to that corvette it just fire one of those, They cloak, after some time decloak and recloak until they hit his target.
What part of "they're not the same missiles" don't you understand Dragon?

Just because we don't see a cloaking missile before WC3 doesn't mean it didn't exist, that much should be obvious with all the ships and weapons we never see before. The Victory is an extremly old ship, but somehow we never see that class before WC3, same goes for the Concordia class carriers, or for fighters like Arrows, Longbows, Sabres, Hellcats, etc.

We know for one that the Skipper in the movie doesn't pack enough punch to destroy a heavy capship, unlike the WC3 Vorg'chath, when someone on the Claw (I belive it was Mr Obutu) informs Paladin and Gerald that the Claw can't take a direct hit without full shields.

Just like the Skipper in the movie.That thing sould never show up in a movie that takes place BEFORE WC III, were they are first used.
The point is that THEY ARE NOT first used in WC3.

[Edited by Earthworm on 01-22-2001 at 23:27]

I understand your frustration, EW, but really, you have to understand that not everyone has access to WC novels. To those of us who don't have them, including myself, we easily mistake the names in the movie for the ones in the games.

Personally, I would prefer having the ships resemble the ones in the games (resemble, not necessarily be the same), instead of being, as someone put it, a preview for Starlancer.

Don't worry Wedge, I'm definetly not frustrated.:)

However, names have nothing to do with this thread, it only takes simple reasoning to figure out that something can exist before it's shown, n'est-ce pas?

BTW, I'd rather have the WC3 designs instead of the rounded/symetrical ships from WC1/WC2. They just didn't look Kilrathi like, and while the movie Kilrathi ships are far from perfect, I think they worked out better than the original ships would.

[Edited by Earthworm on 01-22-2001 at 23:54]

I gess until Origin makes (Right...) the "complete and very acured time lines with all Star ships, fighters, bases and weapons and Complete information of character in the the wing Commander universe, order now and recive blueprints on all the capital ships on the game" we can never be sure.

Oh, I meant for Confed's ships. I agree, the WC3 Kilrathi ships apply better to 'reality' as their psyche is further explored in the manual.

Originally posted by Wedge009
Oh, I meant for Confed's ships.
Well, I don't know. I don't think we see any ships from the Confed side, other than the Concordia and Claw, but I really like the desinge of the Concordia. Looks like a spearhead about to dive into your enemy.:) A perfect, menacing look for a super cruiser which the Concordia class is, IMO.

As for the Claw, it might look like a submarine, but it still reminds me of the old Claw in some ways (mainly the runway that splits the the ship in half).

About Tolwyn's rank... according to what I've read a few months ago (and therefore might not remember properly) just because you're referred to as Fleet Admiral doesn't mean that you are a Fleet Admiral. Admiral is both rank and the title of a fleet commander... similarly, you don't have to be a Captain to be a Captain.

It is true that you don't have to hold the rank of Captain in the navy to be called captain. Captain refers to any person who is in charge of a ship. Take for instance a destroyer. A destroyer can have a captain with as low of a rank as Lt. Commander. And a corvette normally has a captain with the rank of Lieutenant.

Going back to the movie's ships; isn't the Snakier that follows Blair through the jump supposed to be a carrier? Because if I am not mistaken, the Snakier is the first Kilrathi carrier that we see in WC.

Back