Question for Renderers

Pulmonox

Commodore
I'm generally new on the forums, though I've been following the CIC (and several of the fan projects) for quite some time. I've always been a fan of Wing Commander since my brother got the first one when I was something like ten years old, and this site is something that I've always been trying to find for WC.

Over the years, I've been watching and have become interested in the work that you renderers do, and I've been wondering, is this a carreer choice for you guys? Or did you just decide to learn how to use the programs one day?

If it IS possible to make a carreer out of this (and you have), I have a few questions. Like, what line of work options are available for this skill? Does it pay well? And, if you have one, what was (or is) your college major?

If you have anything else that you think might be helpful, please let me know, I'm interested.

I'll do modelling in my free time like most of the others here, I think. There are sure some jobs out there though I don't think that getting them is easy, since 3d modelling isn't too hard to learn(depends on what you're doing of course, starship models or prerendered 3d movies or effects for movies, of course) and there are many people interested in that stuff, I believe.

If by renderers, you mean the people on the forums who do CG art, then I cannot say for all of the few on here who produce it, but I am definetly thinking about doing it as a career. I am currently in a program for it.

It is definetly possible to make a career out of doing computer graphics--after all, the knowledge and skills you possess in this field are transferable between animation for video games, post production visual effects, and full computer animation for film and television. The industry is immense and the jobs are out there--how ever it is QUITE difficult to attain a job as the market is becoming quite saturated.

Creativity and skill are more important than education in this field. Of course, a bachelor's degree or a master's degree in animation, fine arts, comp sci, or mathematics would definelty help. If you intend to work for film and television, you would likely need anywhere from a bachelor's degree or higher to get a job. If you're going to work for games, you can easily begin without any degree.

Starting salary varies. It's around 30 k for beginners, it can be as high as 100 k for veterans (although this depends which company you work for, your seniority, and your education). You aren't likely to go very far without some sort of degree.

I am currently enrolled in a Bachelor of Science degree in Interactive Arts.

Oh yeah...

If you want to get a job doing animation or modelling, DON'T do anything related to planes/spaceships/cars or anything of the sort that is even related.

My advice to you is if you intend on going into this stuff, start with organic modelling. Inanimate objects are easy to build--people are not. If you can master that, you will have a MUCH higher chance of getting a job.

According to a survey in 2001, the average salary was between 50 000$ and 69 000$. They usually have a few bonus as well. At Discreet (makers of 3DSMax) the boss pays the beer on friday.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20010831/survey_01.htm

I think there is a free / educational version of Softimage and 3DSMax. Most people in the gaming industry uses Max and it's suppose to be simpler. Softimage is mostly used in the movie buisness.

If you want more info, I suggest www.gamasutra.com for tips, schools and jobs ( the people behind the Game Developers Conference, they have a magazine too ) and www.gamedev.net .

Back