Question about WCIV sound format.

Dervish

Spaceman
I want to extract one line from Wing Commander IV for my own personal use (when Tolwyn says "The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance" if anyone is curious"). I want it in decent quality. I've heard games have different formats, from mpg, to AAC or ACC ... I have both the 6 CD version of WC IV and the DVD version. What is the easiest way for me to extract some audio?

Several ways you could approach this, and I have listed them in order of difficultly... and stress...

1. Download the HCL movie viewer and record it with some audio program while the video plays. Course you may have to rip the video first, as you might want to do a few takes and HCLs viewer can only *play* (no rewind or pause) -cd version.

or 2. If you want it really good quality press record on the audio program. play the DVD version of the game. when it gets to the line you want leave game and stop recording. Then edit out the stuff you dont want.

or 3. If you think 2 was too stupid, use a program to rip the VOB file in question (there are several, so you may have to rely on trial and error here) from the DVD and convert it to avi (or some other playable format) and then find the line and then record it.

or 4. If you REALLY want to go mad, find a program that can split up the ac3 streams from the VOB file into seperate channels (ie, front, rear, left right-etc) . Now for some reason the dialogue of the movies are on a completly separate channel (no idea why) with not even any ship rumble. All you need do then is mute the other channels and record this raw clean recording.

Take your pick.

Ed

Edx said:
If you REALLY want to go mad, find a program that can split up the ac3 streams from the VOB file into seperate channels (ie, front, rear, left right-etc) . Now for some reason the dialogue of the movies are on a completly separate channel (no idea why) with not even any ship rumble. All you need do then is mute the other channels and record this raw clean recording.
I've made some digital audio recordings from DVDs before, but I would like to know how to extract audio directly. Can you suggest any programs which do this? Also, the split channels sounds like fun - is it possible to have only the music, without background sound effects and dialogue?

The Wing 4 dvd was done kinda weird, normally in 5.1 recordings they mix all the streams together, with the main dialogue restricted to just the centre channel with only sometimes a little bleedthrough to the other channels. With Wing 4 while they have the dialogue in the centre channel they dont mix any of the other channels with it so its just the raw recording. They didnt do this with the music, thankfully, because otherwise it would really have sounded screwed up!

You can use a program like soft encode to split the channels, but only if you *cough* crack it *cough* becuase the trial version is useless. If your ac3 is missing frames it wont load (but you can try a program called AC3Fix). I dont know why its so picky but it does work on some of the WC4 movies.
http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=Sonic_Foundry_Soft_Encode

I havent tried this program but it might work, and the trial version might actually be usefull
http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=Surcode

Ed

Ah, commercial software. A pity, I won't bother with it then. I hardly have the time, anyway, but thanks for the suggestion.

Back