Question about fighter shields

Saturnyne

Vice Admiral
I'm sorry if this is a pointless question, but I need to do something to take my mind off some personal matters.

I've been thinking about the shields between WC1 and Prophecy. In WC1 and 2 (Including add-ons of course), your shields can sustain four laser hits at most before they're totally gone. Of course, this improves with each game, but I'm digressing majorly.

In the early games, when you flew a crash course at another fighter, your actual ship would collide with the other, causing an immediate and acute case of death. In Prophecy though, your shields collide with those of other fighters instead of the actual ships themselves colliding. Why this change? Doesn't it make the game way too easy?

My guess is that's because the Prophecy/SO AI is too damn dumb to avoid any collisions.

For my SO mod (which uses WC1/2 ships) I've tried using the original WC1/2 values multiplied by 10 (multiplying all the weapons damage values by 10 as well) and most of the times I fly around a capital ship, my wingman, trying to maintain formation, crashes on the capship until he dies (which, with the WC2 values multiplied by 10, takes about 4 or 5 collisions, depending on speed, and wheter they come from the same angle or not). Same goes for combat. Half of the AI ships end up dying by crashing into one another... I'm even considering multiplying all the weapons damages and shields/armor strenghts by 20 instead of 10 (thus allowing for the AI to collide twice as much) because the way it is now, it's simply embarrasing to watch.

--Eder

MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
Try reducing the shields to 5X off WC2, make lostsa enemy fighters follow u and run quickly past an enemy capship!:D
should be a good show, oh yeah, could you send me some screenshots of them ramming each other, my mail's dacis2@yahoo.com

Doesn't it make the game way too easy?

As long as your definition of 'easy' is based entirely on the method chosen for shield physics rather than any of dozens of other factors which affect the difficulty of the game then yes.

Yeah, I just realized that the question should have been "isn't this another factor that makes the game way too easy?" The previous games were harder because you collide hull to hull, not shield to shield.

Am I the only person who doesn't tend to run into things unless he's trying to ram something?

TC

i used to like ramming the arse of enemy ships as i don't usuallyy get hit on my front quater, BUT in WCP, when the enemy constantly fontals you, i was forced to rethink my stratergy. also, i finally realised that you can't *noclip* in WCP the hard way...

Originally posted by TC
Am I the only person who doesn't tend to run into things unless he's trying to ram something?

TC

um... I guess so. I chase down my targets, and I like to stay in close. In WCIV, it's a bit harrowing because the enemy always pulls a full stop maneuver. But moreover, I'm just wondering why ships would collide with shields rather than with armor, especially since it was never the case before WCP.

There are times in WCP when I do ram a fighter on purpose - if I've dropped his shields and his armor is in dire condition. Then I just ram him as the finishing blow.

I dont usually ram into anything while I'm dogfighting in any of my games. WCI, IV, or WCP, or StarLancer. I also like to keep my fights close. In Dogfighting, i have not met anyone online who has rivaled me in. Although in Starlancer, they didnt put too much detail into the shields, so when you hit something, you cant tell whether it was your shields, or the ship itself. I've hit a few cloaked Basilisks taht dont seem to slow down at all.

Wing Zero

Back