Question about Destroyers

What are Frigates & cruisers generally used for?... I mean, carriers carry stuff, detroyers destroy stuff, transports transport stuff, but the names give me no clues as to what *those* two classes of vessels do. Someone plz Xplain... Thx.

To add to what's already been said - frigates in the Wing Commander universe seem to be larger, cheaper and "emptier" ships designed to carry expendable weaponry. Frigates devote a lot more space to munitions - so they mount things like missile turrets and CSM launchers... and then they double as armored transports when the need arises.

Another important role for corvettes is long range/long term patrol ships - when heavy bombers can stay in space for a matter of hours (days at best), a corvette can stay on station for years at a time.

I agree they are there to lay down essentially heavy pounding weapons and to be expendable units protecting larger assets

The good ole Johnny Green. You still need tripwires in backwater systems and small picket ships are still the best.

Back