Query about the W.E.C. in the Secret Ops fiction

Dix

Spaceman
hello again. Found the secret ops fiction on the site a few days ago - i completed secret ops a while ago, but never heard about this fiction bit before (apparently it got left out of the Prophecy Gold version, for some reason), but while i was reading it i found a few references to a pre-Terran Confed. government called the W.E.C.

This govt. seemingly used massive propaganda, was very, very unhealthy for the average citizen and was eventually felled by civil war:

https://www.wcnews.com/articles/sofiction/5_1_n_isdn.html
(bottom of the page)

I know of a W.E.C. that matches the description, namely, the World Economic Consortium of the Crusader games, also by Origin. Are they the same?

I dunno if this is the right place for this quest., but heck, it's from the S.O. fiction..

Last edited by a moderator:
They are probably the same. It also isn't the only mentioning of rge WEC as far as Wing Commander goes I think. However we don't know if the Crusader storyline is considered to have happened in the WC universe or if this is just an easter egg like the kilrathi ship in ultima.

It's also mentioned in the Confed Handbook, according to the old WC timeline (entries in 2200 and 2416). Unfortunately, I don't have my copy of TCH accessable at the moment, so I can't give the page.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a nod to Crusader, but not really an attempt to combine the two universes. Origin games are full of them -- for instance, both Wing Commander 3 and System Shock refer to the other as being a video game in their universe.

Captain Johnny pointed out at the time that only thing *preventing* Crusader from being the 'past' of Wing Commander is that it uses teleporters... that's enough for me, though. It's best to leave it as a cute reference rather than anything more -- else we'd share our universe with Mortal Kombat and Ultima. :)

It's also mentioned in the Confed Handbook, according to the old WC timeline (entries in 2200 and 2416). Unfortunately, I don't have my copy of TCH accessable at the moment, so I can't give the page.

I *think* that this is a reference to some event that occured rather than the WEC itself (government crushing food riots or somesuch).

Back