Putting all 13 Academy episodes on a DVD+RW

Let's see a 240MB 320x240 divx .avi can be converted to be about a 450-600MB mpeg2. So, even assuming you can get the minimum of 450MB (possible with some tweaks here and there...check out TMPENGC) your still looking beyond the capacity of a single DVD (13*450 = 5850MB). Now, if you put them on the DVD as a true DATA DVD then yes, you could fit them all on there but you couldn't play it in your home DVD player. I could do some test to bear out my 450MB episode estimate but I don't think its worth the effort and I think someone else already tried this.

Re: DivX DVDs?

Okay, so perhaps this is slightly spammy, but there ARE cheap, DivX compatible DVD players out there.

I have the Philips DVP642. It's a slimline silver design, with a rather spacey blue display, and most importantly, compatibility right up to DivX 4.11, which I believe the codec hasn't radically changed since then.

How do I know this? I downloaded a fan-made Star Wars movie from the DivX site in DivX 6.0 format, burned it (at 400Mb total size) to a normal CD-ROM, and then stuck it in. Not only did it play, but the menu (a new feature as of DivX 6+) worked perfectly. I can watch my complete, hi-rez WCA episodes from ONE DVD when they're in raw DivX format.

Cost of the player? Would you believe less than $60? I got mine at WalMart.

(BTW, I don't work for Philips, but I do work as a sales associate at WalMart. We do NOT get commission, and I don't even work in the electronics department)

ChrisReid said:
These are the sorts of things that don't give me a lot of confidence in that attempt.

I don't mean to disrespect or anything, but saying that in two threads is kind of insulting.

The Maniac

rpg_pro said:
(BTW, I don't work for Philips, but I do work as a sales associate at WalMart. We do NOT get commission, and I don't even work in the electronics department)

I don't think anyone got the impression you were trying to solicit any sales. Mentioning a divx player is a a valid point to bring up in the thread, although most of us probably won't ever own one.

maniac89 said:
I don't mean to disrespect or anything, but saying that in two threads is kind of insulting.

So what have you been doing to learn more about video editing? We're talking about really basic foundational skills and knowledge necessary for something like this. Learning about these things, and more, are very important prerequisites for a successful movie project.

ChrisReid said:
Taking five hours of material and compressing it via MPEG2 to fit on a single layer DVD would look noticeably worse the VHS. It'd probably be around VHS quality on a dual-layer disc, but even then, I'd just put it on three normal DVD-Rs.

Have to disagree. A VCD (640 MB) is capable of containing 60 minutes of video in what is supposed to be VHS quality. Encoding is in MPEG 1. MPEG 2 shouldnt be any bigger then MPEG 1 when encoding for the same quality level. MPEG 2 is only bigger because it is usually used for high quality stuff. So a single sided DVD with 4600 MB capacity should be able to carry about 430 minutes of vhs quality content. Which is about 7 hours. Academy needs 6 1/2 hours.

Look, I don't know how many people here have actually done any VCD authoring, but I have and I'm telling you that 13 episodes will not fit on a single DVD if you convert them to DVD compatible .mpg files. (EXCEPT: if you greatly decrease the quality...)

VCD isn't the best picture quality, sure, but for any screen size that doesn't vastly exceed that one of a PC screen it is sufficient. Maybe it is actually closer to longplay VHS then regular VHS, but still very much enjoyable. Of course you shouldn't use it on beamers and such. That would be painful.
At least that is my experience with regular VCDs. Never tried to author a "DVD-VCD". Not worth it considering the prices of a DVD-R.

Back