Pull the Chrono Trigger, Watch the Time Fly

Col.Dom

Spaceman
Who here wishes that Square (or anyone) would come up with another, equally-innovative, time-traveling RPG like Chrono Trigger?

I loved Chrono Trigger on the SNES, I still fire it up from time to time. They were coming out with a Chrono Trigger sequel for the PS2. I heard about a couple of years ago, didn't hear much else about it. There is a Chrono trigger 3 due out in 2004, at least according to IGN (who really screwed the pooch on the top 100 list, but oh well)
IGN site (near the bottom)

C-ya

Ah, yes! There was a sequal... sort of. It was on the PSX and its name was Chrono Cross. I have yet to play it, though. Everyone who has praises it as an incredible game... just not another Chrono Trigger, though.

I too vaguely remember the whispers of a Chrono Trigger 3. I'd love it if it were true :D

If you really enjoy CT that much, I suggest investing in the Final Fantasy Chronicles PSOne set. It has Final Fantasy IV (which was FF2, in the States) and Chrono Trigger on it. The Chrono Trigger disc is awesome! Tis the exact same game from the SNES, except with CD-quality sound & music and additional anime cut-scenes. It's wonderful if you're a big CT fan, like I.

Originally posted by Lynx
Never heard of Chrono Trigger, but time travelling in reality would be fun.

Yes, I would go back in time and slap myself for even considering getting married.

There is supposed to be a third one, if I'm able to find the info. on it, I'll give it to you guys-but apparently it's supposed to be a lot more like Trigger and Cross. (Which Trigger was the better game, if you ask me-so that works out great.)

Originally posted by Viper61
I loved Chrono Trigger on the SNES, I still fire it up from time to time. They were coming out with a Chrono Trigger sequel for the PS2. I heard about a couple of years ago, didn't hear much else about it. There is a Chrono trigger 3 due out in 2004, at least according to IGN.

There was Chrono Cross for the PS1, which was similar to the original.

My opinion is that RPG's in the past (SNES/NES era) were far better than the modern games you see today. Not enough plot, FAR too little challenge, and too much damn glitter and glitz. Back then the programmers didn't have much to work with, so they had to work that much harder to make the game fun.

Originally posted by Manic
My opinion is that RPG's in the past (SNES/NES era) were far better than the modern games you see today. Not enough plot, FAR too little challenge, and too much damn glitter and glitz. Back then the programmers didn't have much to work with, so they had to work that much harder to make the game fun.

Yes. The RPGs of the SNES era are far superior to their next-gen descendants. US Final Fantasy III and Chrono Trigger are the greatest two RPGs ever made. The others made during that period still outdo what we see today.

However, there are examples of excellent RPGs during the next-gen era. Final Fantasy VII is phenominal and, thus far, Xenosaga Espisode I: Der Wille zer Macht is incredible. Of course, both are sort of throwbacks to the 16-bit days, as far as plot goes.... :cool:

A somewhat related question. Do you guys play "new" RPGs on the NES and SNES emultors? Replaynig old games is one thing, put playing time consuming old games is another.

Originally posted by Delance
A somewhat related question. Do you guys play "new" RPGs on the NES and SNES emultors? Replaynig old games is one thing, put playing time consuming old games is another.

No, I'm going off memories from when I played the SNES games when they came out. As far as RPGs go, I never replay them (except Chrono Trigger because there's a reason to). As you said, tis time consuming....

Huh. I'm a big fan of using emulators to replay old NES\SNES games (or play ones I hadn't yet)-- I've yet to find a system that holds a candle to the SNES.

Anyone here played the game "Clock Tower"? 'Tis the game that got me back into playing SNES games.

Are you being sarcastic ? While I've never played it, some poeple told me Tactics was just about battles, battles and battles. If that's true, it can hardly be called a Role Playing Game, can it ?

The one RPG that caught me off guard was Shing Force II on the Game Gear. For a hand held system RPG, I found it quite good. When the Sega CD version came out on Shining Force CD, I was a happy camper. I'm not even a fan of the Shining Force series. I just really liked the one for Game Gear.

Back