Prophecy Problems...

Dralthi5

Spaceman
Well, I was sitting down to have some fun, when all of a sudden (before the opening sequence even started, mind you), I got this message:

Iff: : open read 26 of 8280 in mat\00020625.mat

This is strange, 'cause I bought Prophecy Gold brand new only a year ago and it's never done this before.

Could someone please give me a hand with this?

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Prophecy uses IFF files to store ship models, sounds, and other stuff. Sounds to me like there's a problem extracting one of them from its TRE file.

And is there a way to fix this?

------------------

There should be. First up, try manually copying the TREs from the CDs to the hard drive. Of course, don't just copy everything
wink2.gif
. As I recall, there are (text?) files on the WCP CDs which tell you what files are copied for each of the three install options... I'd check what the files are called, but to do that, I'd have to take out the music CD I'm listening to, and I'm far too lazy to do that...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm... well, I did not do that, but the game's working fine now.

What I did was manually clear out anything that had to with WCP from my hard drive, then reinstalled the game.

Well, I'm going to go play now...

------------------

Shit. Now I have another problem.

Right after that mission when the Midway jumps into the G'wriss System, I think it is, the game crashes and I get that "You have performed an illegal operation..." thing we all know and hate.

Is there a reason this would be happening, or do I just have really bad luck with WC games (as a matter of fact, I have one game only that works without any problems and ironically it's WC1).

------------------

Then perhaps you should try a proper uninstall (but copy your savegames first). Of course, before you take that drastic step, you should try the mission one more time. Sometimes those errors pop out of nowhere, and disappear by the time you play again.

Though admittedly you're just damned unlucky - I've never had any trouble with WCP... except that one time... but I fixed it good...

Well, the game's messed up three times in that exact same place, but I'll try it again and uninstall it and reinstall it. Well, first I'll have to finish the X-Files game...

------------------

One problem I've had with Prophecy using my old Wingman, is the game crashes to the desktop with

dinput::fetch 2 fell out of loop.

That's a DirectX message, yes? I'm not sure exactly what the problem is there, since the joystick IS connected properly and whatnot. Aw well. I'm getting a new joystick soon anyway. Upgrading to the Wingman Attack.
smile.gif

------------------

§

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it means that the DX isn't recieving something from the joystick that it should be recieving?

------------------

§

Possible, but I doubt it; I believe that DirectInput is an interrupt-based system rather than a polling system.

Back