Prophecy: Movies playing too quickly

E

eketchum

Has anyone ever had the problem with a higher end computer running under Win98 with Prophecy's movie running way too fast. Everything is showing and there's no skipping, but it's playing so fast you cannot see anything. Pleas help.

New peoblem . . . I know that the SB Live card causes problems with Prophecy, but has any one found a work around? (besides a new sound card)

The movies are playing at the right speed now, but they skip around.

Thanks for your help

Same Problem

I also have this problem on my new P4 2.4ghz.

I have tried to slow to no accel the sound but that causes the game to crash.

I have tried therefore the basic accel settings for both sound and display still playing to fast.

I have even used a program to slow down my cd speed and it still plays way too fast.

I know we aren't the only 2 to have seen this issue. Hopefully someone who is running WinXP has some ideas.

Thanks for any help in advance

Originally posted by eketchum
New peoblem . . . I know that the SB Live card causes problems with Prophecy, but has any one found a work around? (besides a new sound card)

Unfortunately, I don't believe so.

On second thought, I may be able to offer a possible solution.

Does your motherboard have an onboard sound port? If so, you could remove (or disable) your current sound card and use that.

I don't understand. I have WC3 and WC4 both of which run fine on my computer as is, but Prophecy has all these problems? You would think that it would be the other way around.

Anyway Thanks everyone for your help. If anyone comes up with anything new please post

No luck

I was hoping perhaps the issue was XP related.

So I swapped my hard drives (I keep Xp and 98SE on removable IDE's - no problems or conflicts with dual booting and stuff) and put in a drive I use for testing Win98SE programs and stuff (before I make them to my good install of the OS.

Sadly the problem continued. However when I turned down my CD drive speed to 8x it slowed enough that it almost was bearable, almost. But my Cd then jumped to 14x-32x or 17x-40x but no option for 10x or 12x speed from the software the company provides. I tried even Nero Drive speed and no luck at giving it a 10x or 12x speed, it wouldn't switch to them. Apparently my Plextor 40x UltraPlex has 4x,8x,14x-32x and 17x-40x speed options only.

I even tried slowing down the SCSI bus (I have a Plextor Scsi Cd-rom which isn't demanding on the cpu as an IDE drive would be and I can then have 4 IDE hard drives :) ) from 40mbps down to just 5mbps, no luck.

So with all that I have tried (worked on it from about 3pm till about 8pm when I finally gave up) I finally came to the following conclusion:

While I can top 1xx fps in a Q3 type game, can push tons of polygons in a Flight Sim, or hear sounds all around me, and crunch numbers and photoshop graphics with the best of them, I can't get a game that recommends a P166/200 to work properly.

I just wish companies would anticpate that the specs they create a game for will be around for more than a year and by Moore's law will be ancient. To make the game able to be scaled or at least work with perhaps a process of twice the power later (of course they had no idea the game would be run on a P4 2.4ghz). But still when you see other games work on the fast system it leaves you wondering.

Oh well, guess I need to build me a second computer to play these older games.

WC4 MOVIES TOO FAST

Just wanted to let anyone know that going to dxdiag and turning off sound acceleration DOES WORK for the movies running too fast. I'm running Windows XP and set compatibilty mode to Windows '95.

On my old SB Live, the way I fixed it was to use the Windows 2000 EXE for Prophecy (find it in the downloads section), then run that EXE in Windows 98 compatibility mode.
Strange but true.

I couldn't fully disable hardware sound without it crashing.

I haven't tried Prophecy with my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz yet - I left disc 2 at home. Oops. ;)

Re: WC4 MOVIES TOO FAST

Originally posted by Unregistered
Just wanted to let anyone know that going to dxdiag and turning off sound acceleration DOES WORK for the movies running too fast. I'm running Windows XP and set compatibilty mode to Windows '95.

Not to my Pc......No accleration and Win95 compatibility still the problem remains.....

Back