Prophecy joystick button config problem

Flashpoint

Rear Admiral
I've just installed Prophecy and the update packs for the first time.
I'm using a MS Sidewinder Forcefeedback 2 joystick in Win7.
The software for mapping buttons doesn't work in WIN7, but I have found some 3rd party software.
My problem is that Prophecy assigns certain actions to some buttons by default. These actions cannot be overridden by any software, so opne of my main buttons, when held, makes left and right on the stick, roll the fighter rather than turn.
The issue is that I want to assign this button to afterburners. I can do this, but then when I am afterburning, I can only roll rather than turn, making things tricky in a dogfight.

Is there any way in which I can override the default button assignments in Prophecy?

I realize I'm necromancing a bit here, but seeing as how you didn't get a reply, I'll share my recent experience.

I have an Xbox 360 wireless receiver, and am running Win7 x64. I have Prophecy installed and running via Compatability Mode for Win98. Neither XPadder or Pinacle Game Profiler was able to override the default settings for joysticks.

I think there may be a way to trick DOSBox into disabling joystick support while still picking up a device used by either XPadder or PGP as an "input device" (second keyboard) but really didn't want to mess with DOSBox.

Frustrated, I borrowed a Logitech Wingman Force 3D joystick. There were only vista drivers listed for this joystick, and installing them under Win7 caused Prophecy to fail to launch. Installing the latest version of Logitech's gaming software for Win7 (even though the Force 3D was not listed among the supported devices) worked. I was able to remap the buttons, and they were not overridden by Prophecy. Unfortunately, Prophecy does not support force feedback, so the joystick has a large "wobble" zone for lack of a better term.

My next step is going to be to track down one of the logitech rumble pads and try it. My assumption is that any logitech device will be able to be mapped properly, but thus far their software has been the only one that worked for button remaps.

Reading through forum posts, it looks like Saitek devices may work as well.

Back