Prophecy Error Report

Don

Rear Admiral
I have just recieved my copy of wing commander prophecy and after installation i ran into a problem. Though I do no know what I have done wrong.

The installation went fine and before playing the game I installed the 3DFX glide software that CD#1 contains. Then I set the compatibiltiy mode to Windows 95(obviously). And yet when i click on the icon it just comes up with the error report. I have tried all compatibility modes, selected 640x800 resolution, change sound accelleration settings and even installed direct X 0.5 (an old version). The error report still appears after this.

I haven't used anything from the wcnews files for prophecy. Am I missing something?

Intel P3 800MHz
126 RAM
Creative Sound Blaster PCI

Thanks

3DFX Glide... Does you computer have a 3DFX graphics card? That driver is for a specific piece of graphics hardware. Try uninstalling it first.

(How dumb can I be?)

No, I don't unfortunatley. How do I uninstall it? It does not seem to have its own removal utility.

g'day
there shouldnt be any need to uninstall mate. 1st off, i think you should keep the compatibility mode at windows 98, then Prophecy needs DX 6.0 so even the latest version will be ok and lastly, in the game launcher there is an option called select video card. select DirectX if u have a 3d accelerator or software if u dont.

Foxtrot said:
g'day
there shouldnt be any need to uninstall mate. 1st off, i think you should keep the compatibility mode at windows 98, then Prophecy needs DX 6.0 so even the latest version will be ok and lastly, in the game launcher there is an option called select video card. select DirectX if u have a 3d accelerator or software if u dont.

Thanks very much for the information, but before reading your comment I re-installed prophecy. This time without 3DFX. And yes I do have a 3D graphics card with DX 9.0 (Methinks poorly). The game now works fine, unfortanetley when clicking Video Card Settings from the launcher (to select Direct3D) the same buggy error report appears and closes the launcher. Everything else works though I really do not want to playing with 'software' graphics. The option was working fine when I installed the first time (badly).

Any suggestions? Do I need to install again?

That´s weird... update your videoboard´s drivers, reinstall the game and follow Foxtrot´s advice. But I never heard of crashing in the game launcher...

1st off, set compatibility to win98
2nd u need to tell us exactly what error you are getting. what is writen in the error box ? is it just the standard windoze error box ( that this prog has performed an illeagle opp ? ) or is it some error box generated by the game itself.

Compatability mode is set already to win95/98, and I have'nt updated my DX driver seeing that I do not need to (yet).

As stated before when I click on Select Video Card,to run graphics under Direct 3D, from the launcher the windows error report just appears forcing me to close the program. It does this everytime I click on the option.

As seen below, the image on the left is the windows error report that always appears and the image on the right shows the 'error signature'. Accoding to the signature it seems to be some sort of problem with "glide extenstion", though i obviously do no know.

thanks for reading... do click on the thumbnails.

Attachments

• wcp123.JPG
    wcp123.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 123
  • wcp1234.JPG
    wcp1234.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 115
glide extension, that means it is looking for 3DFX cards. did you uninstall the 3d-fx drivers you installed ? when you access the select video mode, it scans what is available in terms of hardware and software. its finding the software for 3DFX glide but not the hardware hence the problem. just un-install the 3DFX package and you should be good to go.

Don said:
Compatability mode is set already to win95/98,

Which one? Win95 and Win98 are different settings. The suggestion was to change this to 98.

Don said:
and I have'nt updated my DX driver seeing that I do not need to (yet).

How do you know you don't need to? It sounds like you're crashing when trying to enable Direct3D video mode. If you really did install some old version, that would do it. Prophecy needs at least that DirectX 6.

Don said:
As seen below, the image on the left is the windows error report that always appears and the image on the right shows the 'error signature'. Accoding to the signature it seems to be some sort of problem with "glide extenstion", though i obviously do no know.

Like Foxtrot said, it's trying to do 3dfx stuff and screwing up. Make sure you completely uninstall everything you put in, and try reinstalling it. Normally I'd suggest just installing the glide wrapper and actually using 3dfx mode, but I'd be hesitant to add any complexity to your situation.

Compatability mode is set at Windows 98/Windows ME

I already have DX 9.0 but I'll do as suggested; to update the version.
(And when installing Prophecy the first time, i did set up Dx 5.0 which was stupid of me seeing I already have the higher version)

Just to clarify how do i uninstall 3DFX? Shall I uninstall everything (the game)?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Not the game, no. It is a graphic card driver, so search in the software section if it can be uninstalled from there.

Software section? There is no removal utility for the driver, nor in the control panel. How do you mean?

Try manually setting the video card to Direct3D. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Origin Systems\Wing Commander Prophecy in regedit. Change Video Card Description from 3dfx Glide (2.x) to Direct3d and change Video Card Number from 2 to 5

Strange - there really should be an entry in the control panel. Be sure to check for "glide", "3dfx" and "voodoo". They are all the same.

Alternatively you might want to try a 3rd party uninstall utility like this one:
3dfx Uninstaller V2.0 (for Win2k/WinXP)
http://www.traumatic.de/pphlogger/d...entral.de/downloads/3dfxDriverUninstallV2.zip

Just be warned - I don't know this software - it might mess up something, so a backup is recommended before trying it.

I had this problem trying to uninstall a voodoo2 glide driver from a Win2k machine.

If that does not help or is impossible, Chris's solution would be the fastest.

SUCCESS!!!:D

ChrisRied's suggestion of modifying the video card description worked! I played under Direct3D graphics for the first time without any problems (yet).

Though I still have that same problem when clicking on the Select Video Card option and that annoying error report shows up. I think the 3DFX software is still screwing with the option, and i have yet to try that uninstaller cff suggested.

Is there any other way to get rid of the software. As said before the entry doesn't appear on Add/Remove Programs, however when running the search on 'My Computer' the INF folders did happen to have 3dfx files located in there. Though should I delete it? I'll be happy to avoid any other software conflicts like this and not come across it again when playing prophecy.

Anyway thank you very much everyone for helping me resolve this rediculous problem I made. Anymore suggestions or comments will be great.

I'd probably leave everything at this point. You don't have any current need to switch to software or 3dfx mode, so if it's playing, wait until you finish the game before you start tweaking again. Ultimately trying the Glide Wrapper and simulating 3dfx mode might be worth trying, but at this point doing so could just risk imbalancing things.

I do not think glidewrapper would be playable on a P3-based system.

There are ways to unregister and delete the files, but this process is rather complex and i would not recommend it for a novice user. Use the tool, but this might result in you having to reinstall the system in a worst case scenario.

Back