Problems with WC4

culler

Spaceman
Hi

Decided to install and play WC4 over the weekend, since playing it the first time long ago back in DOS world. Installed the Win95 update over it.

Have a problem. Whenever you're in-flight, and you're about to get a video communicae in your HUD, either just before the message, my cockpit view switches to either the right view or rear view, without warning. Sometimes it switches view during the video sequence instead.

e.g.
Blair: "Need clearance!"
Sosa: "You are.. " (switches to right view) "... cleared to land!"

The worse bit is when you're getting taunted during combat, and it does it right when you have a Hellcat in your sights. :rolleyes:

All very puzzling, dunno if its joystick related. I use a Logitech Wingman Extreme, 4 buttons, 1 hat which controls cockpit view. Sometimes I lose joystick control completely, and I have to go into options (Alt-O) and "Calibrate" again.

And no, I haven't got victim camera or missile camera on.

Btw I take back what I said about WC4 being really easy, forgot the 1 missile - 1 kill also applies to missiles hitting you :D

Had the same joystick but never had any problems (except calibrating Priv2... ughhhh. it never liked that game!!!). It does have throttle control, right???

Have you tried reinstalling the drivers off the disk? Or tried geting updated drivers from logitech?

If that doesnt work you may have a short or something. You could check which configuration the stick is set to in its properties. as that particular stick you can make all kinds of button assignments (which could be messed up). If its a hardware problem just hope it's still under warranty cause they were pretty good about it when my y axis got all messed up from some irritating young enthusiast who liked to slam the stick side to side and front and back.

Oh yeah, Priv 2 is a bitch to calibrate for...

However I don't have re-mappable buttons ? And I don't have problems with any other joystick game I've tried, e.g. Freespace.

I do occasionally have the same problems in Prophecy too, but not as bad, and not as frequent.

As for being under warranty, umm... I think I bought it in '94. Its the original Wingman Extreme, no fancy force feedback or anything. It doesn't have a throttle, just the stick, 4 buttons and a hat switch. It's set up like the original Thrustmaster FCS.

hmmm. Oh maybe mine is wingman extreme digital... yup just checked and has 6 buttons. Check the driver thing anyway. Try reinstaling game. Otherwise it is a windows problem... and it sounds stupid but it fixed my modem problem: you can always try reinstaling windows...

If all fails, it's time to replace your eight year old relic.:)

go to "my computer", double click control panel, double click "gaming options" (or "controllers", dependant on your system)
highlight "Wingman Extreme Digital"
click the advanced tab at the bottom in the options box
uncheck the "poll with interupt enabled"
apply the changes

hopefully this should cure your problem.

My one problem with my Sidewinder 3-D Pro has been the hat, which (even while I'm testing the joystick in the Windows calibration screen) has a tendency to give false signals in the different directions. As a result, I've taken to calibrating my joystick as a 3-axis, 4 button joystick, and that seems to have taken care of the problem. If the other ideas don't work out, you may want to try that, instead.
True, you won't be able to use your hat, but at least you'll still be able to fly.

I had that with my SideWinder Freestyle Pro. Button 4 gave out false signals every now and then. And in Need for Speed 3 I had it configured as shift back. And since back then I was still into using automatic shifting back then (long time ago :cool: ), that put you either in neutral or reverse. And even though NFS3 has no car damage, that's not a good thing during a race... :(
When I figured it out I of course configured the button to do nothing.

Back