Problems with WC4 in Win98

jammyo2k

Spaceman
I'm trying to Run WC4 (not the DVD edition) on a PC running Win98 with a PII 233, 128Mb RAM and a 32Mb Geforce MX graphics card. The board is also dual processor (although only one CPU is in at the moment).

The game itself seems to run but the video plays badly with incorrect colours. Gameplay begins but then crashes immediately after Manic begins speaking.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

If you mean the NVIDIA Detonator drivers I've given them a go. The video seems slightly better and the game seems to last for about a 10th of a second longer. Apart from that there's no improvement. I'm running Win98 Second Edition if that makes any difference.
What is it about the 14.10 drivers that are especially good? Usually the most recent drivers are the most appropriate.
Thanks for your help

I have a Hercules Geforce 2 MX 3D Prophet card. I use Hercules drivers. I have read on Hercules and some other game sites that if you are having problems with this series of cards and the newer drivers to which to an earlier driver. I am using 14.10 and have no problems with any games I have.

The 14.10 drivers are not for the Geforce 3 or 4 series but for the Geforce 2 and older cards.

I just install WC4 Win95 and it works fine. I did the first dogfight and except for the game pausing during the dogfight while Manic speaks, it played fine. When to configure the game did you make sure you check "fast decommpression"?

For your video card make sure that the PCI memory for Directx and OpenGL is set to 0 or 5 mbs. I have DirectX 8.1 install. Maybe try playing around with DirectX Sound Aceeleration settings. Try deference settings and see how the game handles it.

Man this game looks so much better in DVD.

Originally posted by jammyo2k

The game itself seems to run but the video plays badly with incorrect colours. Gameplay begins but then crashes immediately after Manic begins speaking.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

You say you run the Win95 version in a later post, but I doubt you really do (as you say something about running it in a DOS window). Is the file you start named WC4.exe or WC4W.exe
If it is called wc4.exe it is the DOS version. The Win95 version should not have the bug anymore.
There is a patch for the DOS version for S3 cards (IIRC) that fixes movie issues. It worked for my matrox mystique even if the patch says S3 only. So you might give that one a try.
Alternatively switch the movies to VGA, this should also fix the error but give lower quality movies.

BTW: I did not have the movie error on a Geforce 1 SDR and a Geforce 3 TI, only on the matrox card

I've checked the EXE and the game is the Win95 version. Changing to VGA video for the in-flight comms does not help. Playing around with the PCI, OpenGL or soundcard acceleration does not help either.

If the problem is directly related to the graphics card would it be worth swapping my current card for an older model (i.e. an 8mb ATI Rage Pro)?

Thanks for all of your help

Back