Spaceman
Hi!

I have a computer with this configuration:
P3 500MHz
384 MB RAM
RIVA TNT2 ULTRA 32MB
Creative Sound Blaster PCI128
Windows 98

I've had several problems with both WC3 and WC4. I managed to install the game and run it with sound and everything using a bootdisk, but after a while it crashes and gives a processor error or something like that. What's worse is that after restarting windows gives me an error saying it doesn't find several files, command files, and it cannot restart. I had to reinstall windows, but a lot of other files had been corrupted, as I noticed after seeing many programs didn't work. I don't know if I have a different file system of that of these old WC games, but I don't think FAT32 should have any problem (I think I played Wc in an older computer with w95). As you can imagine, I've not tried again to play it ;) Please, can you tell me why does this happen, and more importantly what can I do to solve it? I want to bomb Kilrah!

By the way, I see many people have problems with Privateer. Well, it took me about 2 years but I finally solved the problem. In my case, my sound card loaded an emulator of older cards in order to use it in DOS. The trouble was that when I loaded this Dosstart.bat the game crashed. When I didn't load it I could play, but without sound or joystick :( One day, I was playing around Windows and I saw the settings of my soundcard, the Legacy Emulation, or something like that, that is the application who emulates DOS cards. It said womething like "Not enough IRQ's available for legacy emulation, sharing mode enabled". (I'm writing from memory, forgive the possible errors.) I quickly went to the motherboard settings and went to IRQ settings and allowed more IRQ's for emulation. And DONE! The Legacy said working perfectly, and Privateer also! (Strange, considering I had been playing "Betrayal at Krondor" previously; Privateer is very special you know ;) )

Anyway, thanks for your help. I wait for your answers.

Zhakrin.

I think you got a probelm with your HD and not with WC games.You say that you got similar problems with other programs...so..Maybe you need to Format your HD.If its not it.At least for Wc4 there is a solution.Maybe if you download the patch from this page,can solve the problem.Its a patch that makes Wc4 run perfectly under Win95/98 etc.

Originally posted by TCSTigersClaw
I think you got a probelm with your HD and not with WC games.You say that you got similar problems with other programs...so..Maybe you need to Format your HD.If its not it.At least for Wc4 there is a solution.Maybe if you download the patch from this page,can solve the problem.Its a patch that makes Wc4 run perfectly under Win95/98 etc.

A scandisk (intensive scan) should be sufficient to find all HD errors.

Actually I had problems with other programs after installing WC3 and 4, but I'll try a deep scandisk as you suggest. Maybe that's the reason. I'll look for the w95 patch for WC4. Is there something similar for WC3?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Zhak.

I think its a coinsidense (is the spelling correct :p?) that after you installed Wc4/Wc3 the problems of other programs began.
Just "clean" your HD man :)

Thanks Preacher,you ll be my personall dictionary.Do you take the job?
Um, that's "personal"...

In answer to your question, how much does this job pay?

And, WildWeasel is wrong; CIC's Court Jester post is currently held by Lehah... Has been for about as long as I've been here.

It worked! I did a complete scandisk and defrag, and everything went ok. I thought it was WC the one to blame because it gave me that weird processor error before all the trouble with my hard disk. At least WC4 I've played it to the end, and it works perfectly in windows with the patch you said. I'm going to try WC3. There isn't a Windows patch for this one, is there?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Zhak.

Nope, there is a Windows version in Kilrathi Saga.. but it's not required to play the DOS one in Windows.

Originally posted by Preacher
Um, that's "personal"...

In answer to your question, how much does this job pay?

And, WildWeasel is wrong; CIC's Court Jester post is currently held by Lehah... Has been for about as long as I've been here.

Oh!Come on do it for free!!I know you are a good man and you dont want to earn money from this....

Oh!Come on do it for free!!I know you are a good man and you dont want to earn money from this....
Yeah, but... I got "needs"...

What I mean is, I'm broke. I'm surviving on a part time ministry-type job and am looking for work, but until/unless a recent job interview I had pans out (hopefully find out next wk), I need the $$$...

Originally posted by Preacher
Yeah, but... I got "needs"...

What I mean is, I'm broke. I'm surviving on a part time ministry-type job and am looking for work, but until/unless a recent job interview I had pans out (hopefully find out next wk), I need the $$$...

Sorry then ,no deal:cool: Im broke too :(

Back