Problem with WC4 and Dxr2 card

U

Unregistered

I know there are a hundred topics about this, but I still haven't really found an answer. I won the game off of Ebay, and was never able to play it due to the missing movie message under XP. From the posts here, I gathered I needed the Dxr2 card. I just got one off of Ebay, put it in, installed the drivers for it, and installed the Encore software. Still no luck. I still get the same message. I've tried installing various DVD programs, but everything has given one specific problem: there's nothing showing up in my system.ini folder under the MCI heading. I searched for a drv file, but only found a couple that didn't seem to do any good. Even the ones that the DVD programs would install wouldn't work. In my win.ini file, there's a bunch of things that are associated with MPEGVideo2, so I setup vob to use that, but still nothing. I'm out of ideas, and I really want to play this game. Any help?

I have excactly the same problem m8, tried everything i can think of.

I aint got an mpeg card tho, so it looks like its some strange driver issue.

Anybody out there help us plz?

I really wanna play this game thru again, I did the original wc4 6cd version with the scanlines on the movies, but the dvd picture quality is so much better (can manually play them thru media player fine).

My icq is 15944999 if any1 can help us.

Originally posted by Unregistered

I aint got an mpeg card tho, so it looks like its some strange driver issue.

Again. It is _NOT POSSIBLE_ to get it to work without the card.
While there have been 4-5 people claiming they have done it never could be reproduced. I tried about 15 different players, no luck.

@first poster: Do you see some videos, or none at all?

I don't see any videos. I load the game, get a missing movie error, then it shows the two choices "Help him out" and "Not my problem", then I get a couple of more missing movie errors and it shows the briefing for the first mission. I just know the problem is with the MCI extensions, but I don't know what to do about it at this point.

isnt it possible to allwow the win 95 patch to run from the dvd instead of cd's it looks for movies in a different folder in cd's then DVD's from what i noticed.... if someone could redo that file to read the movies from (dvd-rom):\vob\(file name). all of the problems should be solved for display? i saw the video when i ran the 95 patch but that was a built in one so if it just could read off the dvd that might work if you understand this post

The problem isn't that the game is looking in the wrong place because it tells you the path and filename it's looking for, and it's correct. It has something to do with MCI extensions for MPEG2 playback being removed in XP for favor of DirectShow. If someone could make a patch where WC4 DVD would use DirectShow, life would be swell. I'm thinking my only alternative at this point is to go the dual boot route and just play the game from Win98.

Dual Boot?

I have the same problem, so i'm thinking of dual booting... though i have XP already installed... is there away that can be done? if so, would you be able to link me a website with helpful hints on how to dual boot with xp?

thanx.

Case Sensitive?

I also noticed something probibly just me, but when i browse my DVD drive from my computer, everything is in large CAPS, all the dirs and files. so when i get the messege "missing movie" it's all in small caps. I figured it "might" be case sensitive that's why it can't read the files.

The main problem is that your computer can't find the right MCI driver to play the VOB files.

You don't need the decoder card, but it helps tremendously, since the software expects certain sematics that the card's MCI driver presents over other MCI drivers. (I have gotten movies to play using WinDVD, but the end result is that the program doesn't get the end-of-movie notifications. Sucks, but it does sorta work.)

It means a lot of hacking around the %WINDOWS%\system.ini and %WINDOWS%\win.ini files, though, to get it working properly. Great fun.

Actually y2k might indeed be correct. I noticed that wrong case thingy as well (yeah - I did all that tweaks Worf talks about and got as far as him). Anyone with a DVD burner want to try renaming all files and see if it makes a difference?

re: mission files

Again, I'm thinking if it was the MCI driver we would have gotten a correct error messege for ex: Unable to open file, or similar, but "missing files"? makes sense that it just can't find the file to even open it in the first place.

I also figured out that in XP, those system.ini and win.ini is actually not used at all to run XP, because even with my decoder (both hollywood and dxr2) and all the MCI codes, still don't work. I'm thinking XP is the problem.

too bad Origin isn't around to help us with such problem. Ofcourse no body's perfect.

It's the MCI driver.

I had the same issue (trying to use WinDVD instead of installing my dxr2 card). WinDVD 2000 installed fine, but the associations for the VOB file playback were incorrect. When that happened, the other MCI driver returned a different error, to which the program interprets as "Missing file". When I had it fixed, the missing file errors went away. Takes a lot of work and experimentation to get it right, though! (There's a link between the DVD playback MCI driver and a name (like "dvdplayer" or "dvd" or somesuch), and another link between the file extension and the name (vob=dvd, etc). If you have multiple lines like that, or a missing MCI .drv file... you won't get an error message, and it'll just say "Missing File").

Worf, i was wondering if you could link us your system.ini and win.ini to see what you have there. Also, if you could just trace the steps you went through ex. what programs you got installed, maybe it will help us fix this.

thanx

From my win.ini:
[mci extensions]
mid=Sequencer
rmi=Sequencer
wav=waveaudio
avi=AVIVideo
cda=CDAudio
aif=MPEGVideo
aiff=MPEGVideo
aifc=MPEGVideo
au=MPEGVideo
m1v=MPEGVideo
mov=MPEGVideo
mp2=dvdvidex
mpa=dvdvidex
mpe=MPEGVideo
mpeg=MPEGVideo
mpg=MPEGVideo
qt=MPEGVideo
snd=MPEGVideo
dat=MPEGVideo
vpg=dvdvidex
apg=dvdvidex
mpv=dvdvidex
prg=dvdvidex
m2v=dvdvidex
vob=WinDVD
ac3=dvdvidex
ifo=dvdvidex

System.ini:
[mci]
cdaudio=mcicda.drv
sequencer=mciseq.drv
waveaudio=mciwave.drv
avivideo=mciavi.drv
videodisc=mcipionr.drv
vcr=mcivisca.drv
MPEGVideo=mciqtz.drv
dvdvidex=mcicinem.drv DVD
WinDVD=ivimci.drv

I've bolded the parts I changed. I noticed the following:

If you have multiple VOB=mci_name entries, the first one is used (I had multiple before. I Deleted the dvdvidex one).

If a driver is listed, but can't load (dvdvidex came from the Matrox DVD player app, which doesn't work since I upgraded to a GeForce card), it's equivalent to not working, and you will get the file not found error.

What you'll need to do is find the approprate MCI drivers for the dxr2 (usually has mci in its name, does not have mci32, and ends in drv. It's the 16 bit driver you want). Give it a nice name, specify the file, and make the appropriate changes in both files. The important lines I've bolded.

Worf, how did you know that WinDvd used the ivimci.drv file???
I'm trying to find out what my PowerDVD uses for driver so i can experiment, but can't seem to find out.

Hmmm.. now i'm really lost heh.

Maybe i need to install the software for the creative Dxr2.

So far i have Win98 sp1, no decoder, PowerDvd, Xingplayer, Windvd installed. My system.ini and win.ini looks very much like years (same vob=windvd, windvd=ivimci.drv) although i don't have that ivimci.drv file in my system dir.

I tried looking for more mci drv files, but none that were not in the ini already ex: mciavi.drv, mcisound.drv etc.

Worf can you tell me what else am i missing?

y2k

I interrogated the file, actually :).

Actually, though, the WinDVD program directory has tons of ivi* files in it relating to all aspects of DVD decoding. It only takes a little ingenuity to figure out that ivimci.drv would be the MCI driver for same.

(ivi = intervideo inc, the company that makes windvd). You might get lucky and find out by using the sounds/multimedia control panel (which should list every MCI driver in the system). However, note that these come from the registry, while some programs still use the INI files.

Unregistered said:
Worf, how did you know that WinDvd used the ivimci.drv file???
I'm trying to find out what my PowerDVD uses for driver so i can experiment, but can't seem to find out.

Usually searching for "mci*.drv" gives you all DVD MCI drivers. Windvd is the only exception I know of with the ivimci thingy.
As far as PowerDVD goes, Powerdvd does _NOT_ have an MCI interface.

Alrighty!

I got it working just perfectly on Win98 without the need for the decoder, mainly because you MUST have WinDVD 2.3 or WinDVD 2000. It won't work with anything else, even the newer version of WinDVD.

Now i'm tryin to make it work on WinXP. So far, the first infro video works, but the rest i'm getting missing files. Hopefully i'll find out soon, then i wouldn't have to multi boot win98.

Thanx for the help guys, specially Worf.

Y2k

Back