Problem with WC3

KillerWave

Spaceman
I upgraded my pc to a celeron 600mhz, with 64 mb of ram memory, im tryng to run WC3, it install fine, but when a movie starts, it starts to run really fast and then freezes...:( also cant configure music, just speech...i tryed to use cpukiller, cutting the speed to about 250mhz, but it still dont work...any ideas?

I doubt speed is an issue. Sound acceleration, perhaps? Why can't you configure music? Does the install program stuff up? Music in WC3 is MIDI based.

I use 'soundblaster/compatibles' option for it, when i try to test it, i dont hear music, but it works for speech...
WC4 appears to work fine...

[Edited by KillerWave on 05-18-2001 at 01:20]

Are you running WC3 in Windows or DOS? I believe Windows sometimes assigns funny IRQ and DMA arguments to sound cards that don't always work for DOS games.

Win9x, right? Right-click on the My Computer icon, and select properties. Go to the Device tab, find your sound card, and tell me what IRQ and DMA the card is assigned.

Cant find it...:(
All i see is:
General (Type of device, manufacturer...)
Driver (Manufacturer, date...)
Resources (interruption, i/o...)

Yikes, I don't know what to make of that. Perhaps you should wait until the experts come along. :)

All I can make out of that is that IRQ is 10. IIRC, DOS games defaults to the Sound Blaster standard of DMA 1 IRQ 5 and High DMA 5. What settings did you use to install?

As I said, probably best to wait for an expert.

Does your sound card work in DOS? You might try WC3 there. It is a DOS game after all. Is there an IRQ option of 10?

What configurations does Windows give for your sound card resources? More importantly, what is your sound card? You might be able to change you sound card configuration there - I had to do that for my computer, as long as there's no conflict, everything should work okay.

Yes, my sound card works in DOS, since i can run WC4, but i cant make my cd-rom work in DOS...
My sound card is VIA PCI Audio Controller...came with the soyo motherboard

Do you have something like
SET BLASTER=A220 D1 I5 H5
in your autoexec.bat?

I'm going home soon - I still say one of the experts will come in, find that the problem has nothing to do with the sound card, and fix it within a dozen posts. :)

No, i managed to get the cd-rom working in DOS, but now the sound doesnt appear to work in DOS...:(
WC4 works fine in DOS prompt though

The problem is your MB's VIA PCI Audio Controller. This is a sound chip and not a sound card. MB's with sound chips are design to be cheap (price). They are used by Computer Manufactors to make inexpence PC. My company buy these. For a gamer who likes to play DOS games a sound chip is not the best choice. Most hardcore PC builders would not buy this kind of MB. They're just to limited and the sound quality is not as good. Now the driver for your sound chip is available here.
http://www.viatech.com/Drivers_2/68mu120a.exe
Getting help to setup a sound chip for DOS may be kind of difficult, you can try this newsgroup
alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo
or http://www.soyo.com.
I don't believe that anyone here can really help you. The problem is not the game.

Back