Problem with standoff

Jatarri

Spaceman
I been having a problem with running standoff been saying encountered a problem with the .exe now i made sure all the the exe is win 95 com and then swithced to 98 and back but still doesnt work i even went as far and reinstallin gall the wcsop and standoff but still not working

specs.
cpu 3.2
1 gig of ddr ram
windows xp pro sp2
7100 gts pci express 512 ram vid card all up to date dx and drivers

Hmm interesting.... I used to have the same problem it was most likely due to me doing something (modifying a file or something) then it would not load... are you using any patches ? hi res? opengl?

I have the same issue, I think.

Neither Secret Ops nor Standoff will run. When I try to run either, my screen goes black for a moment and then I get the error "XXXXX.exe has encountered a problem and will now exit. We apologize for the inconvenience", where XXXX is either SecretOps or standoff.

My system is an oldish Dell Latitude with a gig of ram. I'm running WinXP sp2.

I used to run Standoff without issues on this same computer (running WinXP sp1), but then a virus ate my system and I re-formatted the hard drive. Now it's clean--Standoff is practically the first thing I've tried loading on it--and I can't run it.

One final clue...when I try to "Select Video Card" in the SecretOps launcher, I get the error message: "This application has failed to start because glide2x.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem".

I've tried setting both standoff.exe and SecretOps.exe to Win95 and Win98 compatibility mode, and also leaving compatibility mode off, and it doesn't make any difference.

I'm running DirectX 9c and none of the DirectX diagnostics give any errors...

I have the same issue, I think.

Neither Secret Ops nor Standoff will run. When I try to run either, my screen goes black for a moment and then I get the error "XXXXX.exe has encountered a problem and will now exit. We apologize for the inconvenience", where XXXX is either SecretOps or standoff.

My system is an oldish Dell Latitude with a gig of ram. I'm running WinXP sp2.

I used to run Standoff without issues on this same computer (running WinXP sp1), but then a virus ate my system and I re-formatted the hard drive. Now it's clean--Standoff is practically the first thing I've tried loading on it--and I can't run it.

One final clue...when I try to "Select Video Card" in the SecretOps launcher, I get the error message: "This application has failed to start because glide2x.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem".

I've tried setting both standoff.exe and SecretOps.exe to Win95 and Win98 compatibility mode, and also leaving compatibility mode off, and it doesn't make any difference.

I'm running DirectX 9c and none of the DirectX diagnostics give any errors...

Have you tried reinstalling the game with D3D mode? Alternately, do you hava a glide wrapper installed? I've heard of some people having success by having that installed prior to installing standoff (but really that shouldn't matter should it?)

Have you tried reinstalling the game with D3D mode? Alternately, do you hava a glide wrapper installed? I've heard of some people having success by having that installed prior to installing standoff (but really that shouldn't matter should it?)

Ummm... no. What do you mean by "resinstalling the game with D3D mode"? Is that a mode of my Windows video settings that I have to change before before installing the game, or is it an install option I have to change during the game installation?

Also, what is a "glide wrapper" and where does one get one? Like I said, I just formatted the HD and installed a fresh, clean WinXP install. It's fully patched (from Microsoft Update), has DirectX 9c, and the video drivers, I believe, are current, but I have installed nothing else other than SO and Standoff other than a virus scanner and one or two other programs.

Sorry for the "newbie" questions. I'm more of an "oldbie"... I used to be quite computer competent, but haven't dealt with things like DirectX or video drivers since around 1999 or so, and things seem to have changed a bit! :) It was never an issue till now, because SO and Prophecy used to run no problem on this machine before the re-install, once I turned off audio acceleration (as I recall, I didn't even need to set compatibility mode, but I could be wrong about that...)

I've tried looking though the CIC tech support threads, but there's a LOT of them talking about SO issues, and most of them seem to either tell me what I already know (set compatibility mode, turn off acceleration), pretain to different issues, or suggest things without enough explanation (like the "glide wrapper"). If there's a specific thread I should read, please point me to it!

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

You change the graphics settings from the Standoff launcher. Go to options and the choices are at the top. Try playing around the settings and see what happens.

You change the graphics settings from the Standoff launcher. Go to options and the choices are at the top. Try playing around the settings and see what happens.

Still no luck. None of the settings seem to have an effect. I can't get Secret Ops to work either, even without Standoff installed, so I'm guessing its some issue with the core Vision engine, but whether it's audio, visual, or memory, or something else I haven't a clue.

It's too bad...I REALLY wanted to play Ep4 of Standoff. I loved the first three eps .

Can anyone suggest anything else to try? I've tried setting compatibility mode to both Win95 and Win98 settings, tried disabling sound acceleration, tried installing glide2x.dll (which made one of the errors that was popping up go away, but which didn't solve the problem), tried shutting off my virus scanner/system monitor (Kaspersky) in case it was somehow inhibiting something from loading, and tried all possible permutations of the above. Nothing works, for either Secret Ops or Standoff. Anyone have any other suggestions of things to try?

I'm not sure what you can do. This seems pretty strange. Hopefully someone with better tech expertise can help because I'm not sure what to tell you.

Ha ha, I found the problem, I think. Turns out it had nothing to do with video settings or the glide wrapper...

Previously, when the game used to work, I had been running McAfee Anti Virus. I'm now running Kaspersky Anti-Virus (version 7). It seems that something in Kaspersky was interfering with the Secret Ops engine from loading (possibly some aspect of running in compatibility mode), and hence Standoff wouldn't work, either.

To fix the problem, I had to turn Kaspersky's "Compatibility mode" on. This is distinct from Windows' compatibility mode--it is Kaspersky's compatiblity with programs running their own "self protection", whatever that means. THEN I had to reboot (I had tried disabling Kaspersky and running Secret Ops, but apparently without a reboot the problem persisted). Now Secret Ops starts, so I'm confident Standoff will work as well (although maybe I should test it before getting too excited).

Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone, especially the suggestions to install the Glide Wrapper...it makes Secret Ops look much better...

Back