Problem starting up WC3 using Vista

Seems to be working a bit better. I changed cylces to 30000 and the draw to ddraw.

Still has some cracks and pauses but not often, so its good so far. may change the draw to opengl and see how that goes.

Once again, thanks for your help.

I'm not sure it will make a huge difference switching to opengl. How fast is your CPU? experimenting with the amount of cycles is more likely to smooth out the sound.

It's almost all about turrets and frameskip. In addition to cycles 30,000, try frameskip 1 or 2. You may ultimately have to try up to 50,000 cycles, but it can get unstable with an older processor and the dynamic core enabled.

I'm not sure it will make a huge difference switching to opengl. How fast is your CPU? experimenting with the amount of cycles is more likely to smooth out the sound.

Oh its a laptop thats about 6 to 8 months old. Its the Toshiba A215-S4697. Its not THAT big in proc speed, but about 2.1-2.5 give or take.
2 gigs instead of the 1 that comes with it in memory.
Might upgrade to 3 or 4 eventually.

Ill try increasing the cyles up to 4 then 50k and see how that helps.

Its almost smooth but maybe every 10-20 seconds the sound crackles or pops once or twice, so its Im sure on the edge of being smoothed out.

Ok awesome. I get it.

I finally managed to get the game running. The game is choppy though, so Im going to try and read further in the instructions and see if I can get a smooth game play out of this.

AD, I appreciate you stickin in there with me. Much respect to you and your help. I really do appreciate this. Thank you so much.

On the cycles, Ive read you dont want to make it that high. What do you recommend to set it too, or does it depend on the specs of my computer?

I got the same problem as you how did you get around the error?

Try using Ultrasound instead if you want. You'll need to use the files found at this site. http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=16974
gus=true
gusrate=44100
gusbase=240
gusirq=7
gusdma=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND
these are the settings I use in dosbox.conf for the ultrasound catagory
just rename the folder ULTRASNDPPL161 to ULTRASND and place it in the folder you have mounted as your c drive. Double check to make sure you have no irq, dma, or io conflicts with anything else in your dosbox.conf
all you really need to change is gus=true and set the ultradir. I personally have gotten used to the soundblaster settings being 220 5 1 5 and ultrasound being 240 7 3 and mpu401 being 330 that anytime I go to configure anything in a dos like environment again I use these settings.
I personally use the ultrasound because the music sounds better to me in WC3 than using the soundblaster 16 emu. Just be sure in the setup under digital fx card you use gravis ultrasound NOT max. It won't work, dosbox only has support for the basic ultrasound.

Back