Problem starting up WC3 using Vista

U

Unregistered

OK..... Well from the looks of this forum, there sure are measures you gotta do just to run what a lot of people would think "A simple old classics of a game", however Im having a problem starting WC3 up and Im sure Ill be back to the forums later when Im ready to run WC4
========

I created a folder called wingcommander under C:
Copied ALL cd disc's to the folder
Installed DosBox, and configured my joystick great. no problems
Even configured sound card, and I set to 7 and 220 for port. Tested, heart wonderful sound, no static, nothing.

Heres the weird part, cuz I have NOOOO clue what they mean by a digital card.

The error I get as soon as WC3 runs off Dosbox is.....

---------------------------------------------------
Wing Commander III could not startup your digital sound card. Please check your install settings and make sure they are correct for the card installed to your machine. This can also be caused for a read error on the CD-ROM. See the install guide for additional details.
---------------------------------------------------

If I click on any button I get this......

xception 13 happened

CS:EIP = 0045:000CE33C
EAX = 00000008, EBX = 00000004D, ECX = 000F5F10, EDX = 0012004D
ESI = 00000000, EDI = 000000001, EBP = 00128D40, ESP = 00128D24
======================================================

Now, as far as a sound card, I have an intergrated Realtek sound audio card.

The computer is a Toshiba A215-S4697
(google it for specs if need be)

Any suggestions what it means when looking for a digital card????

HELP!

Ok, Ive been doing some reading and all in other threads regarding this and I keep reading about this VDMSOUND that people use??

Although when I go to the site, it doesnt specify if it will run in Vista, so Im a lil wary about installing it.

Im also not able to figure out how to check the Config file. I see it, but somehow cant open it. Do I open it from Dosbox or something?

If all else fails, I have 3 other computers I can test this on that run XP and are clone computers. Just would love to test this on a Vista laptop though if possible.

Ok just an update guys,

I decided to see about running the game on my XP machine without using Dosbox.
It seems to be up to the setup screen and Im on the part where Im setting up my Digital Fx Card.

HOW do you or where do you go to find the specs on this card? For instance, the list of the sound devices for one, neither of them I use, so I just go down the list and choose a sound device and play sound until I HEAR sound.

My sound seems to be working fine if I choose Wave Blaster, but where Im lost even with my XP is what I need to choose for the Digital Fx Card.

If I choose the first one called SoundBlaster/Compatibles, and play the sound, its VERY choppy.

By default my XP machine defaults to I/O port 220, IRQ 5, DMA 1, but again its freakin choppy.

I wouldnt even know WHERE to go to check these IRQ, DMA, and I/O ports in XP or Vista to see if they are set correctly.

Ok just an update guys,

I decided to see about running the game on my XP machine without using Dosbox.
It seems to be up to the setup screen and Im on the part where Im setting up my Digital Fx Card.

HOW do you or where do you go to find the specs on this card? For instance, the list of the sound devices for one, neither of them I use, so I just go down the list and choose a sound device and play sound until I HEAR sound.

My sound seems to be working fine if I choose Wave Blaster, but where Im lost even with my XP is what I need to choose for the Digital Fx Card.

If I choose the first one called SoundBlaster/Compatibles, and play the sound, its VERY choppy.

By default my XP machine defaults to I/O port 220, IRQ 5, DMA 1, but again its freakin choppy.

I wouldnt even know WHERE to go to check these IRQ, DMA, and I/O ports in XP or Vista to see if they are set correctly.

Dosbox is still probably the better option. However it default's the Sounblaster settings to IRQ 7. You need to make sure you set up WC3 to match dosbox's internal settings (which you can find and edit if you want in the dosbox.conf file)

Dosbox is still probably the better option. However it default's the Sounblaster settings to IRQ 7. You need to make sure you set up WC3 to match dosbox's internal settings (which you can find and edit if you want in the dosbox.conf file)

Sorry for asking such a dumb question, but how do you access this conf file in Dosbox??

All I get is a dos screen that always comes up under Z and I just mount c c:\wingcommander and away I go usually.

How would I access conf?

Sorry for asking such a dumb question, but how do you access this conf file in Dosbox??

All I get is a dos screen that always comes up under Z and I just mount c c:\wingcommander and away I go usually.

How would I access conf?

it's a file in the dosbox directory. Just open it up in notepad in windows (or any other text editor).

Also you can add your mounting lines in the autoexec section at the end so you don't have to type it in every time.

it's a file in the dosbox directory. Just open it up in notepad in windows (or any other text editor).

Also you can add your mounting lines in the autoexec section at the end so you don't have to type it in every time.

When you directory in Dosbox, are you referring to the folder or directory that Dosbox installed too??

When you state mounting "lines", Im not sure what you mean by this. All I seem to know and read about mounting is what DRIVE to mount the line, I didnt know there was multiple lines you could run.

All this seems confusing. Wouoldnt know where to begin. Only thing Ive figured out is how to mount to the C directory that the wingcommander files were copied too and how to run the WC3 exe file.

When you directory in Dosbox, are you referring to the folder or directory that Dosbox installed too??

When you state mounting "lines", Im not sure what you mean by this. All I seem to know and read about mounting is what DRIVE to mount the line, I didnt know there was multiple lines you could run.

All this seems confusing. Wouoldnt know where to begin. Only thing Ive figured out is how to mount to the C directory that the wingcommander files were copied too and how to run the WC3 exe file.

It has nothing to do with dosbox. In windows, go to your dosbox folder and open dosbox.conf in notepad. follow the walkthrough here: https://www.wcnews.com/techsupport.shtml#wc3

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, just like everyone usually goes through, I have a new problem.

I went through each one of the steps and so far so good, however when I get to # 12 in the instructions to pick a save game directory, doesnt seem to work at all

I constantly get this error

Could Not Create Save Game Directory!
Please be sure that 1) You have not typed any illegal characters, 2) the drive is a hard drive, not a cdrom or floppy drive or 3) You have included a drive or directory to use

the default is c:\wc3 (I checked c: drive and the WC3 folder is listed there)
I tried creating a wingcommander folder and changing it to that, and still got the error.
When I changed it back to the default of c:\wc3, still got the error.

SO............now im stuck on this.....

Ok, just like everyone usually goes through, I have a new problem.

I went through each one of the steps and so far so good, however when I get to # 12 in the instructions to pick a save game directory, doesnt seem to work at all

I constantly get this error

Could Not Create Save Game Directory!
Please be sure that 1) You have not typed any illegal characters, 2) the drive is a hard drive, not a cdrom or floppy drive or 3) You have included a drive or directory to use

the default is c:\wc3 (I checked c: drive and the WC3 folder is listed there)
I tried creating a wingcommander folder and changing it to that, and still got the error.
When I changed it back to the default of c:\wc3, still got the error.

SO............now im stuck on this.....

if you mount the "wingcommander" folder dosbox will think that it's the root directory so you need to adjust the installer accordingly. However if you just mount c: instead everything should work as normal. Make sure you have added "mount c: c:\" (minus the quotes) to the end of your dosbox.conf file in the autoexec section.

vtc6pc

if you mount the "wingcommander" folder dosbox will think that it's the root directory so you need to adjust the installer accordingly. However if you just mount c: instead everything should work as normal. Make sure you have added "mount c: c:\" (minus the quotes) to the end of your dosbox.conf file in the autoexec section.

oooohh, I think I get it . I was going to question about that autoexec section, cuz all it says is # of lines.

So in the autoexec section, I type in the lines of mounting Im doing right>??

Example....

AUTOEXEC

mount d d:\ -t cdrom
mount c c:\wingcommander
mount......

Like that and save it?

oooohh, I think I get it . I was going to question about that autoexec section, cuz all it says is # of lines.

So in the autoexec section, I type in the lines of mounting Im doing right>??

Example....

AUTOEXEC

mount c c:\wingcommander
mount......

Like that and save it?

yeah, anything you put in that section will be run as soon as you start dosbox. You can even set it to run the game automatically if you want to.

I personnally would mount the root directory rather than your WC directory. But just keep in mind that from within dosbox if you mount the wingcommander directory the installer will think that c:\wingcommander is actually c:\.

yeah, anything you put in that section will be run as soon as you start dosbox. You can even set it to run the game automatically if you want to.

I personnally would mount the root directory rather than your WC directory. But just keep in mind that from within dosbox if you mount the wingcommander directory the installer will think that c:\wingcommander is actually c:\.

Well, now Im confused again.

I thought in your last statement, that you mentioned that I would need to mount the save directory which is in c: but now your saying if I do that, Dosbox may think to run the game there??

So would I put in the mounts in Autoexec as

AUTOEXEC

(THEN) type
mount c c:\wc3

???

Also you say I can automatically do a mount in Dosbox, but how do you do this as well? or whats the command to type in, in autoexec

Well, now Im confused again.

I thought in your last statement, that you mentioned that I would need to mount the save directory which is in c: but now your saying if I do that, Dosbox may think to run the game there??

So would I put in the mounts in Autoexec as

AUTOEXEC

(THEN) type
mount c c:\wc3

???

Also you say I can automatically do a mount in Dosbox, but how do you do this as well? or whats the command to type in, in autoexec

If you mount c:\wingcommander the actual install directory on your HD in windows will be c:\wingcommander\wc3. From within dosbox when you install the game to run the game you will go to c:\wc3 not to c:\wingcommander\wc3. Dosbox will think that c:\wingcommander is c:\ unless you mount the root directory (just c:\ )

You do not need to do it again if you already have this in the autoexec section of dosbox.conf It will mount your harddrive/directory when you start dosbox. If you change what you mount after the game is installed the game will be confused.

Well, I still dont understand any of this mounting stuff.

I guess for now, lets go back to my original issue.....

Ok, so if I want to run wc3 from the D drive as my cdrom, but Im getting the error stating it cant create a savegame directory, naturally the default is C, not D.

What your telling me is if I change the mount to C, it will think the game is on C

So I guess how would I mount my lines in the autoexec if I running the program from D, but saving to C?

Would I have to just copy all the files from the cds to c:\wingcommander since Im getting the error above stating that it cant create a savegame directory on C:

OR

do I type in under Autoexec as stated in my original question

mount d d: -t cdrom
mount c c:\wc3 (mounted as the savegame directory)........

..so that Dosbox knows to run BOTH lines???

???

do I type in under Autoexec as stated in my original question

mount d d: -t cdrom
mount c c:\wc3 (mounted as the savegame directory)........

..so that Dosbox knows to run BOTH lines???

???

I don't get what's so complicated about this. Open your dosbox.conf file in notepad. Add the mounting lines for BOTH your CD-rom AND your harddrive at the very end of the file in the section called Autoexec. Save the file and exit notepad. Run dosbox and install the game as normal.

If you type them into the prompt from within dosbox or add them to the dosbox.conf file the lines are exactly the same. it doesn't really matter which part of the harddrive you mount as long as you keep it the same when you run the game. ALSO DO NOT FORGET THE FIRST COLON (there should be two)

mount d: d: -t cdrom
mount c: c:\wc3

is fine.

mount c: c:\
is fine.

mount c: c:\wingcommander
is fine.

Whatever you tell the wc3 your saved directory will be will be created in whichever folder you mounted. However, if you mount "c:\wingcommander", and then while running the installer from within dosbox you tell it to install the game to c:\wingcommander\wc3, then the actual install location from within windows will be c:\wingcommander\wingcommander\wc3 .
In that case you will have to have created the wingcommander directory before running dosbox. But the only part of your harddrive dosbox will see is that folder. And it will think the wingcommander folder is actually c:\ From within dosbox you will then have to -from the c: prompt - change directory to c:\wingcommander\wc3

So, JUST, mount the harddrive wherever you want and never change the mounting line again. Mount your CD rom, and install the game. Tell the installer to install the game to c:\wc3. When the istaller is finished. the dosbox prompt should read c:\ or c:\wc3. If it's c:\ then type "cd wc3" to go to your install directory. Then run the game.

Ok awesome. I get it.

I finally managed to get the game running. The game is choppy though, so Im going to try and read further in the instructions and see if I can get a smooth game play out of this.

AD, I appreciate you stickin in there with me. Much respect to you and your help. I really do appreciate this. Thank you so much.

On the cycles, Ive read you dont want to make it that high. What do you recommend to set it too, or does it depend on the specs of my computer?

Ok awesome. I get it.

I finally managed to get the game running. The game is choppy though, so Im going to try and read further in the instructions and see if I can get a smooth game play out of this.

AD, I appreciate you stickin in there with me. Much respect to you and your help. I really do appreciate this. Thank you so much.

On the cycles, Ive read you dont want to make it that high. What do you recommend to set it too, or does it depend on the specs of my computer?

Ok, just an update AD, I changed core to core=normal and set it to 8000.

I got some adjusting to do. You may even suggest just installing the files to the harddrive, because its LAGGING BAAAAD in flight mode. I mean REAL REAL BAD.

Its like a 2 sec pause between frames or cycles. Its horrible.

If I shoot lasers for instance......its like this.

..............FIRE..................................................FIRE..............................................FIRE......

so yah, its bad lag.

also i noticed when I start the game up and I put it up in full screen, the video craps out on the game. Everything looks like your watching Predator movie. ~~~

any suggestions?

Ok, just an update AD, I changed core to core=normal and set it to 8000.

I got some adjusting to do. You may even suggest just installing the files to the harddrive, because its LAGGING BAAAAD in flight mode. I mean REAL REAL BAD.

Its like a 2 sec pause between frames or cycles. Its horrible.

If I shoot lasers for instance......its like this.

..............FIRE..................................................FIRE..............................................FIRE......

so yah, its bad lag.

also i noticed when I start the game up and I put it up in full screen, the video craps out on the game. Everything looks like your watching Predator movie. ~~~

any suggestions?

Ok awesome. I get it.

IT really depends on your CPU speed. I would recomment leaving the core set to dynamic for WC3 and increasing the cycles quite a bit... even to the 30000 range. You can experiment with the cycle level until you get something that runs somewhat smoothly. Keep note that too high a level will also slow down your system. Also if you are using dosbox .7 or higher I would try core=auto

regarding wierd colors. you could try changing the draw mode. At the start of your dosbox.conf file change output= to either ddraw or opengl or one of the other options and see if that helps. Or try a different scaler.

IT really depends on your CPU speed. I would recomment leaving the core set to dynamic for WC3 and increasing the cycles quite a bit... even to the 30000 range. You can experiment with the cycle level until you get something that runs somewhat smoothly. Keep note that too high a level will also slow down your system. Also if you are using dosbox .7 or higher I would try core=auto

regarding wierd colors. you could try changing the draw mode. At the start of your dosbox.conf file change output= to either ddraw or opengl or one of the other options and see if that helps. Or try a different scaler.

Seems to be working a bit better. I changed cylces to 30000 and the draw to ddraw.

Still has some cracks and pauses but not often, so its good so far. may change the draw to opengl and see how that goes.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Back