Problem installing he DOS version of Wing Commander 4 on XP

dave_amus

Spaceman
I am running Win XP SP2, an AMD Athlon 64 3000, with a gig of ram and I am trying to install the DOS version of WC4 on XP. I have no previous DOS experience, and am following the guide from the WCCIC tech support which uses DOSBox. I can use DOSbox to get to the installation screen where I am prompted for a save game directory, however, whichever directory I specify, the installer says that I have insufficient disk space - although it only requires 30mb which I definately have!

Any suggestions, or alternatives to DOSbox would be greatly appreciated!

David

I am running Win XP SP2, an AMD Athlon 64 3000, with a gig of ram and I am trying to install the DOS version of WC4 on XP. I have no previous DOS experience, and am following the guide from the WCCIC tech support which uses DOSBox. I can use DOSbox to get to the installation screen where I am prompted for a save game directory, however, whichever directory I specify, the installer says that I have insufficient disk space - although it only requires 30mb which I definately have!

Any suggestions, or alternatives to DOSbox would be greatly appreciated!

David

It sounds like you did not mount the harddrives correctly. Alternately try creating the directory before running the installer. Note that if you mount the specific directory withing dosbox then that also becomes the root within dosbox.

Type "mount c: c:\" at the Z:\> prompt (ignore the red warning text) or add it to your dosbox.conf file under the autoexec secton. If you are not installing to your c: drive make sure the mounting line is changed to reflect that and that.

You can play the dos version without dosbox, installing by clicking the startwc4.exe from the CD. After that, the mouse won't work, but the game is installed on your harddrive so far. Now you use the win95 patch and the win2k fix for that patch, both files available here in the Files Section of the homepage. When starting WC4W.exe now, you can finish the setup and play the game in Windows XP, thus sparing you from having to emulate a Dos machine with DosBox plus allowing you to use your full hardware power, since DosBox will most likely need too much of your computers resources to run the game properly.

Also note that the only thing to do in order to patch your WC4 to Windows 95 is to copy XANLIB.dll and WC4.EXE to your install directory (e.g. c:\wc4) and then activate Windows 95-compatibility in the preferences of WC4.EXE.
There is no actual patching process ;)

You can play the dos version without dosbox, installing by clicking the startwc4.exe from the CD. After that, the mouse won't work, but the game is installed on your harddrive so far. Now you use the win95 patch and the win2k fix for that patch, both files available here in the Files Section of the homepage. When starting WC4W.exe now, you can finish the setup and play the game in Windows XP, thus sparing you from having to emulate a Dos machine with DosBox plus allowing you to use your full hardware power, since DosBox will most likely need too much of your computers resources to run the game properly.

there's no reason to run the win2k patch under XP

Back