Problem in 1.0 pre!

Quicksilver6

Rear Admiral
I seem to be having a strange problem with 1.0 Occaisionally, I'll be flying or fighting normally and all of a sudden I'll hear the armor impact noise, my screens all fizz up at the same time and freeze that way, and nothing will move. At all. I can auto pilot and target and change camera views but the game itself doesn't move, not even other ships. Music and sound plays, and the set speed goes up, and I've even tried self-destructing, but the only way to get the game working again is to quit and reload from the desktop. I can't get it to even quickload! Any explanations/suggestions?

P.S.

Please disregard, the problem was really, really stupid user error on my part. Also, I didn't read the manual. My apologies for noobing out. On a related note, kudos for making the pause button actually work now. It didn't work for me before.

hehe I've *got* to make a paused sprite appear on the screen (much like the quit sprite)
3 users have reported this bug

clearly it's not just you

Okay, for real this time, there actually IS an error. Every so often, usually at the worst possible time, I'll take off and find that the tractor beam on the missile hardpoint of my centurion isn't working! I try everything, including switching gun setups, missile hardpoint setups, using the spacebar instead of the trigger button, and even selling the tractor beam, flying off, returning, and buying it again, but the only thing that fixes it is to quit and reload the game. I know it's not energy reserves, and not impatience (I hold the trigger for a long time, it just doesn't work). You might want to look into that.

Also...

Sometimes, when jumping into a new system, usually with other ships behind me or with me, there'll be lag. The game will freeze for a couple seconds up to a minute. I can still hit buttons, music plays, and I can change camera views, but it's like the game is paused (And no, I didn't hit the pause button... this time :). After a while it just kind of slingshots back into play. Why is that? Is there a solution I can do or no?

Thanks!

I've never heard of either of these two bugs...can you get them consistently?

does hitting pause resume the game?

has anyone else experienced either of these two bugs?

does it resume after walking away from the console...or does it need you to push random keys

The tractor beam problem happens frequently, almost everytime I play due to my preference for rescue missions which net a relatively high amount of money (in the perry system at least). The lag problem is more rare and only with a large amount of ships at the jump point in both the system I'm jumping from and the one I'm jumping to and only after I've played long enough that there's a sizable population (I.E. After I've jumped to several systems in one gaming sitting). And no, hitting pause doesn't fix it, it just freezes everything and gives me the static on my MFDs. If I wait a little when it's unpaused, It jolts back into play without incident, but it's weird how it just hangs up like that.

Wendy reported this problem as well. I have it every time in .9b linux. If you reload and try to use the tractor, it will work, but it doesn't draw the beam on screen. So it is the amazing invisible tractor. But after a fresh game start, the tractor beam will appear.

Back