Privateer2 WinXP ctd error on takeoff

U

Unregistered

I installed privateer2 (deluxe edition) with no problems, played on Hermes with just a slight lag in the sound when my character talks when he needs to make the first decision. Then after I bought my ship and went to take off from Hermes, I got an error and Privateer crashes to the desktop/freezes so I can't see what the error message is. It occurs the second after the systems check finishes but before the systems check screen goes away.

I've changed the compatabilty to both win95/win98 (was on default before that) and that didn't work either. I installed it following the directions from http://www.perli.net/projekte/privateer2win95 (I re-burned the cd with the patch already done).

Help is appreciated.

P4 1.8ghz
640mb ram
geforce4 ti4200 64mb ddr

Sound card: philips dynamic edge 604

I guess I'll try and reinstall it without the patch

Ok I uninstalled the patched version and reinstalled it straight off the cd and I still receive the same error when I attempt to leave Hermes.

Any ideas?

It's the Windows 95 version so that isn't possible.

Is this happening when it's trying to load a FMV or when it's trying to load flight engine? I could be some kind of video card incomplatibility in it happens when loading the flight engine. It may be that your card doesn't like the game switching video modes ore something.
However, if it's happening when loading a particular video, check to see if your CDs don't need cleaned or that there isn't a scratch somewhere. (this would seem unlikely though).

It freezes when it is performing that engine check and once it says something about "take off". Before the screen changes and you are in space it is already frozen and I'm send to the desktop and forced to end task it.

I tried to get a screenshot and I just missed by a second, so I loaded the game again and this time it didn't freeze. Not sure why as I did nothing different and this is the first time it did not freeze out of about 25 attempts.

And the cd doesn't appear to have a big enough scratch to warrant an error.

Well, it's very possible it's a conflict with this "philips dynamic edge 604" sound card. You might try toggling some options in your sound card advanced setup to see if there's an improve. You should also register a forums account so you can edit in information rather than needing to post four messages in ten minutes.

My sound card doesn't have very many options besides volume....so unfortunately I doubt that will help. Sorry about all the posts.

Anyway, I've kind of worked out a system but it still crashes a lot. Disc 1 works pretty well most of the time except on certain planets like Crius and Anhur. However, right now I'm trying to finish the cinema at Kappa Labs, I can watch the movie just fine but once I lift off I get the crash again and nothing I do will seem to get around that.

So I was wondering, if anyone would be interested in using my saved game, doing the Kappa Labs thing for me and then landing at the space station that is 3 jumps away? The saved game starts at the space station, so 3 jumps to the Labs, watch the movie or press escape and 3 jumps back and then resend me the newly saved game so I can move along with the game? I would really appreciate it. My e-mail addy is sdecker@gmail.com E-mail me or private message me if you would be willing and I'll send you my game file (it is save slot #3 if you want me to use a different slot let me know, that isn't a problem).

i have the same exact problem. i had the dos version, then i patched it with the win95 patch, works fine in menus, but it crashes on lift off. I have to note that it worked with dosbox, only very poor performance.
the error i get is: "the instruction at 0046b3f6 referenced memory 03666000
The memory could not be writeen
Press ok to terminate the application"

i have two monitors so i was able to see it,

system: xp2400, ti-4600, xp pro sp2, 1g ddr, sound blaster

I have gotten that message a couple of times when it crashes inflight. It's only happened a couple of times, the vast majority are on takeoff and I can't see the message.

Back