Privateer

Tooner

Spaceman
Help please.

I get an error that EMM386 is not installed and that the game cannot find JEMM.ovl.

Can anyone help?

------------------
"Your job is not to die for your country, your job is to make some poor dumb bastard die for his!"- Patton

[This message has been edited by Tooner (edited May 13, 2000).]

Well, I can already tell you the nature of the problem; take a look at the other threads on this subject. Seems to have been a burst of Privateer activity (or inactivity, in the case of this board) lately. Here's what I need you to do:

Hit Start->Run and type SYSEDIT. Copy the stuff from the boxes labelled CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT in your next message.

Then, start up Notepad, hit File->Open, and type the following into the filename field:
C:\WINDOWS\DOSSTART.BAT

Copy the stuff you see into your next message.

When you've done that, I'll get back to you.

Why not? The license agreement (the bit that nobody ever reads
biggrin.gif
) usually allows you to make one backup copy of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Autoexec.BAT

-SNIP-

C:\PROGRA~1\NETWOR~1\MCAFEE~1\MCAFEE~1\SCAN.EXE C:\
@IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE

SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D3 T4

REM Environment Settings For McAfee VirusScan
SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\PROGRA~1\NETWOR~1\MCAFEE~1\MCAFEE~1

C:\WINDOWS\asp4dos.com
-SNIP-

This may sound freaky, but there is nothing in my Config.SYS...

DOSSTART.BAT

-SNIP-

LH ASP4DOS.COM

-SNIP-

There you go...

------------------
"Your job is not to die for your country, your job is to make some poor dumb bastard die for his!"- Patton

[This message has been edited by Tooner (edited May 15, 2000).]

Nothing in your config.sys at all? Actually, that's not freaky; it simply means that you are probably using a recent install of Windows. The relative cleanliness of the other files also suggests this.

Meanwhile, though, this means that you probably won't be able to use the CD-ROM drive, so you'll have to take a few more steps to get the game working. Here's what you do:

Install the game as you normally would, through Windows
Copy PRIV.TRE and RF.TRE to your C:\Privater directory
Edit PRIV.CFG so that it looks like this:
=C:\PRIVATER\PRIV.TRE
Edit RF.CFG so that it looks like this:
=C:\PRIVATER\RF.TRE

The game should now be fully installed to the hard drive.

Next, we need to create a shortcut or boot disk to run the game; it really doesn't matter which.

To create a shortcut:
Hit Start->Programs and right-drag (right-click-and-hold) the item labelled "MS-DOS Prompt" to your desktop. Select Copy from the menu that appears.
Right click the new shortcut on your desktop and select Properties. Hit the Program tab and the Advanced button.
Make sure the following are selected: "MS-DOS mode" and "Specify a new MS-DOS configuration."
Here's what you need to put in the two fields:

Config.Sys:
DOS=HIGH,UMB,NOAUTO
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 16384 /I=B000-B7FF
BUFFERSHIGH=25
FILESHIGH=25

Autoexec.Bat:
@ECHO OFF
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
LH C:\WINDOWS\ASP4DOS.COM

Install Privateer with these options:
Sound Blaster Pro/16
I/O: 220h
IRQ: 7
DMA: 3

If you prefer the boot disk method, just make sure you use the same config.sys and autoexec.bat as specified above.

Note: there will be no mouse support here; if that's a problem, come back and bug me about it. The game should work, though.

Well that worked great. All the EMM386 junk dissappeared, but i still get the JEMM.ovl file error. It can't find it. Do you know what I should do for that?

------------------

Hm... hate to seem like trouble, but it didn't work...

------------------

Hmm; probably a problem with the .CFG files, then. Did you copy PRIV.TRE and RF.TRE to your hard drive, and if so, did you edit the CFG files?

Yep, it's all copied and edited properly.

------------------

Okay, i tried that, but it didn't work either.

I also tried running the game through Windows, but it said that the protected mode driver is not responding to EMS function calls

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tooner (edited May 20, 2000).]

The game won't run through Windows; it loads its own 32-bit environment (JEMM) that conflicts with Windows. What is the exact error message?

In windows, it says...

Protected mode driver is not responding to EMS function calls. Make sure your EMS driver is not configured with the NOEMS option. If it is, replace the option "NOEMS" with "RAM".

In DOS mode, it says

Could not find JEMM overlay file

Then it exits.

------------------

Yep

------------------

Give me the output of MEM /C. You can get it by typing

MEM /C > MEM.TXT

to create a text file (MEM.TXT) that contains the output and then pasting its contents into a message.

I typed what you said, but nothing happened. Are you suggesting that it's a memory problem? Because that could very well be with my accursed C drive. Should I try it on another one of my drives with more memory (D,E,F)?

------------------

Actually, something DID happen. The file was created; find it and give me its output.

And yes, I am suggesting that it may be a memory problem, although yes, it could also be a drive problem; if it works on a different drive, then I highly suggest running Scandisk on C:.

Modules using memory below 1 MB:

Name Total Conventional Upper Memory
-------- ---------------- ---------------- ----------------
MSDOS 17,856 (17K) 17,856 (17K) 0 (0K)
HIMEM 1,168 (1K) 1,168 (1K) 0 (0K)
DBLBUFF 2,976 (3K) 2,976 (3K) 0 (0K)
IFSHLP 2,864 (3K) 2,864 (3K) 0 (0K)
WIN 3,712 (4K) 3,712 (4K) 0 (0K)
vmm32 4,240 (4K) 4,240 (4K) 0 (0K)
COMMAND 7,456 (7K) 7,456 (7K) 0 (0K)
Free 610,752 (596K) 610,752 (596K) 0 (0K)

Memory Summary:

Type of Memory Total Used Free
---------------- ----------- ----------- -----------
Conventional 651,264 40,512 610,752
Upper 0 0 0
Reserved 0 0 0
Extended (XMS) 67,100,672 48,562,176 18,538,496
---------------- ----------- ----------- -----------
Total memory 67,751,936 48,602,688 19,149,248

Total under 1 MB 651,264 40,512 610,752

Total Expanded (EMS) 67,108,864 (64M)
Free Expanded (EMS) 16,777,216 (16M)
Largest executable program size 610,736 (596K)
Largest free upper memory block 0 (0K)
MS-DOS is resident in the high memory area.

------------------

Back