Privateer

kyee

Spaceman
I'm having a major problem playing the game (ie it's no playing at all. it's either i don't have enough dos ems or file not found from my boot disk or something else.
my system specs are as follows:
windows 95b (or windows 98se)
233 mmx
144mb ram
2.1 gb hdd
ati rage pro (or voodoo 3 2000)
sb pro2 (if necessary, sb 16 pci)
microsoft intellipoint 2.2

if anyone can help me in my dilemma, i'd really appreciate it.

ok, i've finally fixed the memory problem, butthe game can't find my privateer cd and it also says jemm unloaded-what does that mean and what can i do to solve these problem?

You gotta load the cd-rom driver in dos.

------------------
Zohrath.

http://www.starlancer.net - Lancers HQ, the best source for Starlancer and Freelancer news.

JEMM is the 32-bit environment that Privateer uses for all those nifty things it does. Don't worry about that message.

As for memory, well, you said you have enough, so here's how to get it working without mucking around in your configuration files again:

Copy the .tre files from your Privateer CD to your Privateer directory on your hard drive. Then, go to the Privateer directory on your hard drive and edit the file priv.cfg. All that you should see in the file will be a path to your CD-ROM drive (D:\ in most cases); just replace that part with the path to your Privateer directory (C:\PRIVATER\ in most cases). Do the same for rf.cfg and you're set.

Hey Stinger couple months ago you helped me to get Privateer working, and I have more problems now. I can't get sound from the game, because every time I try to set my sound card if I chose SB, or SB Pro/16 and two other cards below them I get a message that says my sound configuration is wrong and I have to run install and change it. If I choose the other two cards above the SBs and try to run the game I get a blank screan and I have to restart. Hope you can help me again.

Bellend- go here if you want to buy Privateer Classic Edition http://www.cdmag.com/cgi-bin/order.cbi_home?source=80090&add=PRIV.IR
------------------
Uh excuse me Mr.Cat, sir, but would you mind like ceasing fire for a little while so we can barbecue your god-ugly asses? Todd "Maniac" Marshall Wing Commander Pilgrim Stars

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited January 09, 2000).]

I wish the posts hadn't gone the way of the dinosaur. Refresh my memory: did we build a shortcut to get it working? If so, are you still using that shortcut? What has changed since we last got it working?

Yes we made the shortcut, I have the CD version, and I copied it to the HD. Nothing realy changed since then. I know I have an SB card but I'm not sure which one. Do you need autoexec.bat and config.sys again?

------------------
Uh excuse me Mr.Cat, sir, but would you mind like ceasing fire for a little while so we can barbecue your god-ugly asses? Todd "Maniac" Marshall Wing Commander Pilgrim Stars

You may not have set your blaster properties or you may have a PCI card that has problems (Though as you can see on the news page the Live problem seems to have been fixed.) Look in the autoexec.bat file you are using to start to program (either on a boot disk or in the shortcut) and see if it has a line that begins with SET BLASTER, also find out what kind of card you have.

TC

------------------
Member of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

Yes, look at the autoexec.bat in the shortcut for the SET BLASTER line. Also, right-click on My Computer, choose Properties, hit the Device Manager tab, and hit the plus sign by "Sound, video and game controllers." That should tell you which SB card you have.

The line looks like this: set BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4

Stinger here's what I get when I hit the plus

Intel Virtual Audio Device
Vave Device for Voice Modem
YAMAHA OPL3-SAx GamePort
YAMAHA OPL3-SAx Sound Sysem

Maybe I don't have an SB card after all.

------------------

Hmmmm... That looks like an onboard sound card (I might be wrong)... That 'could' be a problem but I know some that work (I've seen one computer that has a 'Win'-soundcard...)

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ

Ooh... the Yamaha OPL3-SAx... I used to have one of those (or at least something with the same chipset). Search for a file labelled SETUPSA.EXE (just use Start->Find). If you have it, then you should run that program upon restarting to DOS. It'll probably be in a directory that looks like C:\Program Files\Yamaha\OPL3SAx.

Whether or not you have SETUPSA.EXE, you should be able to choose Sound Blaster or Sound Blaster Pro. Just keep in mind that your I/O range is 220, your IRQ is 5, and your DMA is 1.

Stinger... That was quite convenient
smile.gif

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ

Last edited by a moderator:
Stinger I can't find the file on either of my HDs, anything else I can do?

------------------

Check your setup disks, then try and find out who made your sound card (or if it's onboard your motherboard) Yamaha only makes chipsets and the best drivers would be on the drive manufacturer's web site. If need be you can download a W95/89 driver with what they call 'restart in MS-DOS mode compatibility.' I would suspect we could copy the appropriate line out of the dos start batch file and place it in your shortcut.

The URL for that is: http://www.yamahayst.com/pcaudio/downloads.htm
TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ

Whoa, TC, you're doing a pretty good job here... I'm starting to feel threatened!
wink.gif

Earthworm: Check your Dosstart.bat file for anything that looks like it might have something to do with sound.... My guess is you won't find anything, but it never hurts to check. Aside from what TC already mentioned above, all I can suggest is that you try running the Privateer install program again and choosing Sound Blaster, with the settings I/O: 220, IRQ 5, DMA 1. That should be what your sound system is set to, unless it has somehow changed... hmmm....

Go to the device manager again and tell me what resources the "YAMAHA OPL3-SAx Sound Sysem" and "Intel Virtual Audio Device" are taking up. I suppose it's possible that Windows may have changed these settings at some point, leading to your current problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
all right, i did as recommended, but i am not able to edit the priv.cfg and rf.cfg files. how do i get this game to recognize the game cd.

why can't you edit them... Open the files up in a text editor like notepad or edit and change what it says.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ

Back