Privateer

Lori

Spaceman
Brand new here. Privateer used to be our fav game, with new Gateway puter, can't get it working. I believe, possibly, we don't have a DOS driver for CD-ROM w/our computer....does that make sense??? Is this something I can download from online somewhere? Anyone here willing to help out a female??? lololol hubby is almost computer illiterate, it's my job. So, where do I start?? TIA

Originally posted by Lori
...hubby is almost computer illiterate...
A husband who knows less about computers than his wife? :eek: Now there's a break to the stereotype! :)

As for Privateer, I wouldn't even bother with a DOS boot. Fortunately, I still have an old DOS computer to run old WC games, but anyway... if you hit F8 when it says "Starting Windows 9x..." you have the option of going staight to DOS.

All you should really need is expanded memory (EMM386 should cover it) and a mouse driver. Just having:

LH C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM

in config.sys should be enough.

Oh, whoops, I just realised you can't access the CD in DOS unless you have a CD driver enabled. Sometimes Windows will REM CD drivers in config.sys during install - if it has, simply remove the REM. If it hasn't or you can't find if you have any DOS CD drivers, try contacting Gateway Tech Support.

privater

Yes, it's always me that does all of this. Hubby has learned email and how to attach something to email but that's about it :eek:)

Ok, I have installed privateer. I have copied the priv.tre and rf.tre files to privater on C drive. I have opened the .cfg files to notepad and changed the path to =C:\privater\priv.tre (and subsequent rf.tre). I have told the game not to detect windows. When I reboot into DOS I do get Error: Memory Manager not detected. & PCI Audio Driver requires EMM386 or similiar & PCI Audio Driver not loading.

But I think you are right. In DOS and Privater DIR, when I type Priv to start the game absolutely nothing happens. I believe I am missing a DOS driver that tells DOS to use the CD-ROM. When we first got this computer and tried to load the game, I seem to want to recall contacting Gateway and them telling us that we *would have had to* (now! they tell us) had our computer customized for this. It would now cost us $39.95 to customize. I believe this customization would give us a DOS CD-ROM driver. Do you believe I am correct in this assumption and is the only way to get that driver spending the $$$ to customize with Gateway????

Would it work to copy my priv cd onto diskettes to play the game, or would that require too many diskettes?

Thanks guys.

Diskettes? :eek: Not from the CD version! :)

Sticking EMM386.EXE into config.sys should do the trick for expanded memory.

As for the CD driver... well, no one expects you to use DOS anymore, but still, it shouldn't be worth forking out any amount of money for. Try looking at your CD manufacturer's website.

I don't know if adding MSCDEX.EXE into autoexec.bat would help, I think you still need a CD driver in config.sys.

gonna keep tryin

Okay, this is all I can get for my config.sys:

REM [Header]
REM == PISETUP Begin Delete ==
REM == PISETUP End Delete ==

REM [CD-ROM Drive]

REM [Miscellaneous]

REM [Display]

and autoexec.bat:

SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H7 P330 T6
SET SBPCI=C:\SBPCI
REM [Header]
@Echo off

REM [CD-ROM Drive]

REM [Miscellaneous]

REM [Display]

......am I missing something????? Why don't I see all the devicehigh, buffers30, etc., lines. I DO need to reconfigure my config.sys and autoexec.bat to have the DOS CD-ROM driver work. I went to EA support page and found that I need to change my DEVICEHIGH= line but.... where, what am I missing??? My CD-ROM does not work when in DOS mode. Does anyone know what would happen if I would remove the REM [CD-ROM Drive] line from the .sys and .bat files?

Man, they don't make anything easy any more!

Hi,

Just my two cents ... but now that you edited the .cfg files you no longer need a DOS driver for your CD-Rom player. The only thing the cd is used for is for the big .tre files, but you now have them on your HD, and by editing the .cfg files Privateer now know where to find them on your HD, thus no need for the CD-Rom driver (at least for Privateer 1 that is).
If you still want CD-Rom support you will probably need to find out who the manufacturer of you CD-Rom drive is. I'm a bit surprised that your computer didn't include a disk with the dos driver on it. Maybe try looking for something that looks like AOATAPI.SYS (that's the name of my cd-rom driver for DOS, of course yours need not be similar) on your C drive, they may have included it without telling you.

Good luck!

Computers suck now that dos has been killed.

I think Ill get rid of Win98 and go back to DOS 6.22 and WIN 3.11 :)

and play WC, and Priv, Priv2, WC3 and WC4...who needs Prophecy anyway?

at least I'm learning!!

This is what I have done. Ok, I have installed privateer. I have copied the priv.tre and rf.tre files to privater on C drive. I have opened the .cfg files to notepad and changed the path to =C:\privater\priv.tre (and subsequent rf.tre). I have told the game not to detect windows.

I formatted a diskette. Then I copied the config.sys and autoexec.bat from c to a. I reboot the computer using the diskette. Now I'm just getting the message that I don't have enough memory.

Now, I don't know if just adding the EMM396 line will make it work or not, nor am I sure where to add it or exactly what it should look like since my (thanks Gateway - NOT!) config.sys doesn't look anywhere near normal.

So, what do you think?

Originally posted by Silent Warrior
I don't know if it should be DEVICEHIGH or just plain DEVICE, though.
DEVICE, I think. I'm pretty sure EMM386, being a memory manager itself, needs to be in conventional memory.

Originally posted by redwolf
Computers suck now that dos has been killed.

I think Ill get rid of Win98 and go back to DOS 6.22 and WIN 3.11 :)

and play WC, and Priv, Priv2, WC3 and WC4...who needs Prophecy anyway?
Luckily, I still have my 386 with DOS 6.22 and Win3.1 :)

I'm retrying Privateer, too.

It's been so darned long since I monkeyed with DOS I forgot all this stuff, and they moved things on me. Darn!

Anyhow, I think a boot disk is in order. I've got the diskette version (backup copies - the originals are screwed). I've installed it, so I won't need the CD Driver. Since ya'll are nice folks, and I'm too lazy to relearn this, I'd like for someone to tell me how to change my Congig.sys and autoexec.bat files. I keep running into problems.

Autoexec.bat:

C:\windows\smartdrv.exe 256
SET BLASTER = A240 I5 D1 T4
LH C:\WINDOWS\AU30DOS.COM
set comspec=C:windows\command.com
@ECHO OFF
REM [Miscellaneous]
REM [Display]
C:
cd privater
priv

Congig.sys:

REM [Header]
files = 20
buffers = 10
device = c:\windows\himem.sys
dos = high
shell = C:\windows\command.com /p

REM [CD-ROM Drive]
REM DEVICE=C:\CDROM\ATAPI_CD.SYS /D:MSCD001 /PIO
REM DEVICE=C:\CDROM\SSCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001 /PIO

REM [Miscellaneous]

REM [Display]

DEVICE=c:\windows\setver.exe

I'll fly a mission in trade for any help.

~~ Easy Money

Re: I'm retrying Privateer, too.

Originally posted by Easy Money
Autoexec.bat:

C:\windows\smartdrv.exe 256
set comspec=C:windows\command.com
@ECHO OFF
REM [Miscellaneous]
REM [Display]
C:
cd privater
priv
I don't think WC DOS games like SmartDrive. REM it.
I'm sure you're BLASTER variables need "H5" after "D1". Too, I think A240 should be A220, unless your card's base I/O port is at 240.

Originally posted by Easy Money
Config.sys:

REM [Header]
files = 20
buffers = 10
device = c:\windows\himem.sys
dos = high
shell = C:\windows\command.com /p
You'll need DEVICE = C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM after the HIMEM DEVICE line too.

That's all I can think of. Try reading your DOS manual (it really does help!), or someone else will probably elaborate.

No sound...

Hello!

I am also trying to run Privateer 1 on my Win2k machine.

I made a boot disk and Privateer runs fine, but I cant initiate any sound or music.

I own a Soundblaster 128PCI and I found no DOS drivers :-(

Entering the set blaster variables did not help.

Is there any way to activate my sound card under dos?

I cant run Priv in Win2k, I cant allocate any EMS there, Win2k crashes when I try...

Hmmmm, whats this AU-Something.exe that is listed in the configuration below??

Do I need this?

CU BadAccent.

Easy Money, this is what you want your config files to look like:

Config.sys:

DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 16384 /I=B000-B7FF
FILESHIGH=25
BUFFERSHIGH=25

Autoexec.Bat:

@ECHO OFF
C:
cd privater
priv

Note that this doesn't include CD-ROM drivers, so you'll have to have the PRIV.TRE and RF.TRE files in your C:\Privater directory with the appropriate changes to PRIV.CFG and RF.CFG so you can play the game from your HD.

Be sure to install with the following settings:
I/O Port: 240h
IRQ: 5
DMA: 1

Oh, and Lori, are you still having trouble?

I wanted to see how John would handle this one, so I've been staying away from this thread.

Back