Privateer with Win98

M

Millzy

any change of Privateer working with Win98 or should I not even bother?

I never managed to achieve that. You could try setting your computer as if you would run Privateer in DOS and try it in Windows. But it´s just a guess...

The way I run Privateer is I edited the config.sys file.

If I remember correctly, I added the lines:
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE

to the config.sys file. The emm386.exe file loads the Expanded memory needed to play the sounds and speech.

Make sure you load your sound and mouse or any other drivers you need as well. Once this is done, you can reboot your computer, hold F8 down until a menu pops up. Choose Command Prompt Only or something like that. Once DOS loads up, you can run Privateer and you should have enough memory.

Try at your own risk as editing the config.sys or autoexec.bat files may do something unexpected. I claim no responsibility.

Hope it'll work!

It limits the amount of Extended memory that is available. Privateer doesn't like having more than 16MB.

I tried to use that part, but now Moslo won't start the game. It just stalls there. I tried running it without Moslo and it works, but with Moslo it doesn't work.

My Moslo version is v1.32b(trial version).

Anyone have an idea of what's wrong?

Originally posted by wcmaniak
I tried to use that part, but now Moslo won't start the game. It just stalls there. I tried running it without Moslo and it works, but with Moslo it doesn't work.

My Moslo version is v1.32b(trial version).

Anyone have an idea of what's wrong?

I'm running Privateer on PII600Mhz w/o moslo, and it's running just fine. No slowdown is needed. But Privateer 2 is running very fast, so I need some slowdown. I'm using moslo 1.32b trial (50% slowdown I think) w/o any problems.

when i run Privateer, the screen just stays blank and doesn't do anything... i have P3-450, 128 RAM, Win98... any ideas?

well when i run the program, it says that it has to run in Dos mode and then it starts dos to run it. my computer does the same thing with WC2 and it runs fine...

in WC2 Windows does not "start" DOS. It just opens a stinky "Microsoft DOS Simulator™" that looks exactly like DOS, but it´s just Windows with an ugly face.

Priv1 is more demanding than WC2 and will ONLY work in DOS. To really start your computer in DOS you have to BOOT (F8 at startup) in DOS, not just open the "DOS prompt" in Windows.

i tried that but i still get the same black screen... i guess it's just not meant to be... maybe i'll try to find Privateer 2 from a used game store or something

Do you have the emm386 line in your config.sys? like, are you getting EMS when you are in DOS?

type "mem" to find out

Originally posted by Millzy
i tried that but i still get the same black screen... i guess it's just not meant to be... maybe i'll try to find Privateer 2 from a used game store or something

You didn´t say that you had Priv2. Privateer 2 will work in Windows (usually)

Originally posted by WildWeasel
What did you type at the command prompt, exactly?

I thought I'd bump this comment back up to the top. It's rather important... if your running directory isn't right, the game can't find it's data files and, basically, shits itself.

Originally posted by Starkey
You didn´t say that you had Priv2. Privateer 2 will work in Windows (usually)

He doesn't have P2... hence why he'd have to go find it...

Back