Privateer Splash Screen

lighting wise, the biggest problem is the lack of a nice and bright, direct light hitting both craft from one side at an angle. there should also be a white, dim fill light striking the opposite lower sides of the ships to pop it out just a touch.

concerning the planet. it doesn't have to be *exact*, i mean....if you're just using procedurals, get it as close as possible. what it needs are brighter colors for the ground. so you can actually tell its ground and what not. really make it 'pop'.

concerning procedurals....i disagree. for such a low poly model, procedurals won't look right for it at all. they're mainly meant for planet work, or filling in spots where generating image maps would be damn near impossible do to an insane poly count. either way, we'll see.

Brad Mick

heeh well Brad all my models (almost all of my models) are using procedurals or a mix of image maps and procedurals. The wc4 tank i've modeled recently, has only one generic image map and everything else was done with procedurals, the Gladious model i made has 2 image maps. Lines for the wing and generic map for plates. Dirt, dust, scratches and metallic shine and feel was given by the procedurals. You really understimate the power of the procedurals if you are using them in the right way.

Believe me once you succussefully apply the right procedural, you will see what i'm talking about. Generally making procedurals take me about 2 hours of texturing, but the result is always excellent.

alright here is the final scene setup (as you may see, plenty of tweaks were made tot he lightning, sun adn the planet as well as the nebular.

Which one you like the most? tell me and i'll render it for you.

privremakefinal013el.jpg

privremakefinal028wz.jpg

wow it's a winner...only problem I see is that there's a dark purple square under the laser blasts...any chance you could remove that?

maybe mymonitor brightness is too high

also need 'em at 1024x768 asap

hellcatv said:
wow it's a winner...only problem I see is that there's a dark purple square under the laser blasts ... maybe my monitor brightness is too high
LOL leave it to you to find all the little incongruities that just blend into the background for everyone else. Your monitor has done that to me before. :D

hmmm strange.. i can see no darkness. Hmmm I may assume that your monitor's brightness guys is high... hmmm.. but still I know what may cause that, so i'll descrease some lightning on the lasers... and than i'll render the bottom one at 1024x768 today evening or tomorrow (depends on the amount of work my boss gives me ;))

Also, I would like to ask if it's possible to creat a wallpaper from this image? It will be used in the Privateer remake, so I ask for permission to make a wallpaper for you (will label the wallpaper with the WCU:pR watermark) and other, that way you will have an advertisement on the CIC news update and also a nice looking wallpaper, cause as I saw, you have none so far ;) so?

P.S. also is it possible for me to use some other models from the game and make the 2nd wallpaper for you as the promotion? Cause WCU:pR badly needs advertisement, that's the main cause of it isn't to be so well known comparing to the WC:Saga or Standoff.

Love the work! use it as a wallpaper...
odd that you can't see the squares under the laser...your first render didn't have such a problem... :)
love it if you made more wallpapers :)

feel free to use every model from the game... you can use the mesher.exe to convert them to obj

thx hellcatv, well the only thing i need is to know who made the models, so I can give the proper credit on the wallpaper.

about the black sqaures. Well lasers are nothing but the boxes with the transperency map and the illumination map, so if we light the scene more that could be visible, i'll just decrease the lasers lightning, that should solve the problem ;)

could you make them have an alpha map? with alpha = 0 around them?

whatever you did in your first image with lasers I couldn't see the box

impossible... than they won't have such an effect.

i did nothing before, left lasers untouched, just added additional lights to the scene to make it look as it looks on the last renders. So those lights may brighten the lasers, thus making the black squares visible, do not worry i'll fix this easily ;)

also, could oyu give me the list of the model creators, so i can credit them? do not want that anyone after the wallpaper release accused me of the stealling ;)

ahh...I don't think we've made an official list...we've tried to list all creators in the credits section--but to track who did what model is computationally expensive.
personally I would just credit everyone on that list--then you're safe...
IMHO this whole credits thing is a bit out of hand here ;-) I'm very happy peopel do stuff--but everyone needs to know that Wing Commander is a team effort--and if we yell at someone for forgetting to credit each other then we're doing the whole community a disservice

alright ;) I'll just define that the ship models (which i take from the game) by WCU:pR creators ;)

Like this -->

Gladious model by WCU:pR team
Scene by Nikolay "Cyberion" Ivliev

if that's alright, than i'll go with it ;)

Also could you give me the image where is the WCU:pR signature is. The one you see on the current splash screen or here on top of the forums. Would be cool if the text will be on the transparent background, so i can easily put it on the wallpapers ;) (i bet you have it ehheeh)

sure that'd be fine I'm sure...direct them to credits.htm for more info if htey want it

I don't have the shot from the top...ask John Cordell

centurion looks to be the one i did. sorry for the delays on the gladius. been a might bit busy o' late.

Brad Mick

Back