Privateer Sound Issues

Wolfsbane

Spaceman
My sound in Privateer is farked up--I tried it on my oldest sound card (A QDI sound16 that worked fine on my old computer, before the motherboard on it went boom), and then on an SB16 (Privateer works fine on my father's computer, which has an SB16), and then an SP PCI64, and finally a Diamond Monster Sound II. Nothing works. All the speech and most of the gunfire in the game just hisses static, and it freezes the computer after a while. It doesn't matter if I'm running DOS or Windows.

Hey, did you try using the SETUPSA.EXE program before running the game? This solved my long-running sound problem. No matter where you keep the game, put this program on your C drive and run it at the DOS prompt before you start Privateer. Choose your card's settings and click OK. If you have a joystick, make sure you click on that setting as well, otherwise it won't work. Best of luck!

Buggrit! I have been running it from the hard drive!

I guess I'll just have to get used to the CD reading delays.

I believe the correct phrase is "Buggrit, millenium hand and shrimp" said by Foul ole Ron, but I'm too lazy to check
smile.gif

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

Hail to the king, baby.
-Ash, housewares

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Last edited by a moderator:
Other people say "buggrit", though.

BTW, running Privateer from the CD didn't work. Where can I find this "setupsa" program? It's not on my Privateer disc.

Yes, Granny Weaterwax just said it in the book I'm reading.

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

Hail to the king, baby.
-Ash, housewares

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

OK, running it from the CD doesn't work--I emailed Origin Tech Support (not that I believe in tech support, but any port in a storm), and they just told me to edit my autoexec and config files on my bootdisk. Again, I ask: Where can I find SETUPSA.EXE?

------------------
Bastardly Productions: More fun than a piñata filled with bees

SETUPSA is a program used for OPL3SA sound cards. I'm not quite sure why it was even mentioned...

Ah...I'm using a Diamond Monster Sound (MX300). Blast, I was hoping SETUPSA was a third-party program for Privateer.

I guess I'll have to get used to playing without sound
frown.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
No, that card should work fine, just not with SetupSA. Your card should have come with some DOS drivers; if not, you'll probably find them at Diamond's web site. It's based on Aureal's Vortex chipset, which is what I'm using, so it should be fine.

Back