Privateer Ships

Privateer missiles are odd in that the better the guidance system, the heavier the payload. At least, that's how I recall it in the manual.

In game, I would agree with you about the guidance, but the payload? I don't think so... especially not since it takes god only knows how many torps to kill a drayman, I never got an official count.

Although I will say DFs are faster in Privateer then in the other games.

Privateer missiles are odd in that the better the guidance system, the heavier the payload. At least, that's how I recall it in the manual.

That's right, at least according to the manual -- the Dumb Fire does less damage (13 cm) than the others (16 cm for the HS, 17 cm for the others). The torpedo does a whopping 20 cm of damage and also travels faster than the DF (1,200 kps vs. 1,000 kps) -- which means there's no good reason to outfit a missile launcher with Dumb Fires over a much cheaper torpedo launcher, unless you want a particular mix of missiles that includes DFs for some reason.

That's right, at least according to the manual -- the Dumb Fire does less damage (13 cm) than the others (16 cm for the HS, 17 cm for the others). The torpedo does a whopping 20 cm of damage and also travels faster than the DF (1,200 kps vs. 1,000 kps) -- which means there's no good reason to outfit a missile launcher with Dumb Fires over a much cheaper torpedo launcher, unless you want a particular mix of missiles that includes DFs for some reason.

In the manual... it still seems like the do more damage then the torps in the game. Probably just me.

It may be because i played privateer too much, but i found that after a while they all become easy to kill, even the Paradigm. Playing the Rygannon missions, i killed the kilrathi easily, but i started to run away because it was faster, less annoying. The only one that gives me trouble all the time is the steltek drone.

It may be because i played privateer too much, but i found that after a while they all become easy to kill, even the Paradigm. Playing the Rygannon missions, i killed the kilrathi easily, but i started to run away because it was faster, less annoying. The only one that gives me trouble all the time is the steltek drone.

Once I get the snot gun working, its fine killing the drone. The damn Paradigm on the other hand...

Once I get the snot gun working, its fine killing the drone. The damn Paradigm on the other hand...

Perhaps my problem with the drone is that i usually tend to get too close to the enemy i'm fighting against. That drone killed me a few times shooting at me after i bumped it...

Perhaps my problem with the drone is that i usually tend to get too close to the enemy i'm fighting against. That drone killed me a few times shooting at me after i bumped it...

Hehe, I just tested a theory. I lured the drone too close to the Paradigm, the destroyer opened fire on it, and to my amazement, the drone turned and opened fire on the ship. In minutes the cruiser went down! :D

Back