Privateer series

lttljn

Spaceman
I finally found a Wing Commander game. I'm soon to be getting Privateer and the Deluxe version of Privateer 2: The Darkening. I was wondering if someone could tell me a little about these games. Such as gameplay, graphics, playability, features, and maybe what a few of the missions are like. I'll hopefully be getting both of them by the end of the week, so I'll soon be playing them. If you can help me out, I'd be thankful.

"The only true comfort a fighter pilot has in a dogfight is the comfort that he knows where the ejector seat is."

Don't much about them. But the graphs of P2 look similar like in WCIV.

You just fly around, transporting stuff, earning money, buying better parts or space craft etc...

[Edited by iCe on 02-24-2001 at 13:36]

I don`t know about P2 much, but P1 is a lot of fun. You`re pretty much free to do whatever you want: trade, hunt, take up missions, be a good guy, be a bad guy, anyway you want.
lots of systems, and pretty good graphics (somewhere between WC2 and Armada graphics).
It also has an expansion pack, which I haven`t played yet.

Privateer 2 is great fun although it doesn't really fit in with the other games, its set well in the future in an isolated system with lots of mini jumps (ie no autopiloting, you jump everywhere)
Good game, as for Privateer I got really near the end and then my KS arrived and I put it down, I keep meaning to come back to it

So if it's set in the future in a distant corner of the galaxy, how can it not fit in? :)

I didn't mean it like that, I meant there wasn't much to tie it in with the rest of the games, its called Privateer but it could easily be in another universe so theres no feeling of familiarity.
But its been done so well in my opinion that that doesn't matter
Just wish I didn't have to disable my cache/ use turbo etc to get it run.

Well this is what i think about priv1&2..THEY ARE THE BEST! :)
But I personally liked privateer 1 a bet better sense I liked the plot more and it has more things you can do like become a bounty hunter or a merchant,a pirate,or if you want for some reason to be a wanted man..And on privateer 2 you can only do random missons and cant join any guilds and everytime you piss off the CIS they would stop hunting you down after you land on a planet and take off again (wich I never understand why they whould do that.)
But Privateer2 has better graphics and the movies in the game are very well made and is a awsome game to play...
But to summon up this series its just like Wing Commander but you get to do whatever you want..Wing Commander free style.

P.S. play both of them youll get a kick out of it.

[Edited by Hawk on 02-25-2001 at 02:16]

I don't know much about the development of P2 and Darkening, but I heard that the original P2 was going to be an extension of the original Priv with the then-planned 'WC5' engine. Sounds much better than when they junked P2 and mixed WC elements in the Darkening.

The 'original' Privateer 2 had no such lofty plans -- it was simply a concept which died when Chris Roberts left. It's an absolute non-entity: no story, no graphics, no engine -- no *anything*... we have no way (and no reason) to be able to point to it and go "Well, that would have been way better than Privateer 2 turned out!".

Uh, so I assume that the idea that some of the canned P2 stuff was being used in P3 is invalid as well.

Back