Privateer Screechy Sound

FrolfFreak

Spaceman
I recently got an urge to replay good ol' Privateer. Found my copy, installed it, and even got a working boot configuration for my computer that will get it up and running. The problem is, once i get into the game, while the music is splendid, the sound is nothing but terrible screeches. My soundcard is a Turtle Beach Montego II, an Aureal Vortex 2 based card. The config.sys and autoexec.bat is as follows:

device=c:\windows\himem.sys
device=c:\windows\emm386.exe 16384 RAM
dos=umb
dos=high
files=25
buffers=25
shell=c:\windows\command.com c:\windows /p

@echo off
set dircmd=/o
rem c:\UTILIT~2\PC-CIL~1\PCSCAN.EXE C:\ C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ /NS /WIN95
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T4
LH C:\WINDOWS\AU30DOS.COM
rem path=c:\java\bin;C:\UTILIT~2\UE32
rem LH c:\windows\command\doskey
rem set classpath=%classpath%;c:\;c:\java\bin;c:\cs121;c:\datast~1
LH c:\mouse\ctmousep

If anyone can spot something i'm doing wrong, suggest or fix, or just propose an idea, that'd be awesome. Thanks in advance for reading this stuff.

still in love with the oldies,
Benny

That's... really... odd. Screechy Privateer sound effects is usually the result of a large amount of memory being made available - it seems that Privateer can't handle more than 16MB. Yet, you've already got only 16MB declared in you config.sys. Looks like I'm no help here, sorry.

I had a similar problem recently. All the sound was perfect, except when I fired my guns. It didn't matter if I fired my tachyon or mass drivers. Rebooted and everything worked perfectly again, still don't know what went wrong that one time, weird.

Back