Privateer refuses to start...like always.

AFAIK, it shouldn't, it will just chew up more memory. I thought you were using the hard drive because there's no mention of CD drivers there. Post the whole of your system files next time. What you think is insignificant may have an effect on your computer.

I don't know much about Moslo, but I think it's supposed to be a DOS program.

You got 'it' as in Privateer working? I have no idea why it's playing fast, AFAIK, all WC games from SM2 onwards are frame-limited, excepting P2.

Hm, nevermind, the only problem is the joystick. Having that on makes the game freak out. The mouse and keyboard work, but no sound, and no keyboard. The sound card is a Sound Blaster Live, and the joystick is Microsoft 3d Sidewinder pro. Thanks for any help.

re: Joystick and sound.
Are you saying that the ONLY line in your autoexec.bat is “@ECHO OFF”????

If so, try adding the following line:

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 T4 J200

N.B.
1)Your gameport is probably “on” your sound card. If you don’t tell DOS that you have a sound card, it doesn’t go looking for one. According to your config.sys, you haven’t loaded a driver for your sound card. No driver = no sound.
2) T4 may not work, if not , try T6 ( different SB cards I think. Somebody out there know?)
3) J200 tells DOS (and therefore Privateer) that your joystick is “on” port 200.
4) Yes moslo works in DOS.
5) Getting the right values for MUSIC and SPEECH/SFX in Privateer can be a challenge. The SET BLASTER line has specified the following:
Port = 220
IRQ = 5
DMA = 1

You can check if your sound card is “active”, and what the values are by typing “set” at the dos prompt. If you get no values, then your sound card is not active.

Good luck.

When I type set at the DOS prompt, I get these values: A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6. Is there anything else I need to change in autoexec or config from there?

I’m assuming the following (correct me if I’m wrong):-
1) You are using a bootdisk (floppy) to boot your machine to pure DOS
2) Your config.sys and autoexec.bat are NOT the same as you previously posted (30/10 at 23:09).
3) You now have a DEVICE line in your config.sys that loads a sound card driver.
4) Your joystick is analogue and connected to the gameport on your soundcard.
5) You can play Privateer but still have no sound and no joystick

Things to do:-
1) Edit your autoexec.bat and add J200 to the SET BLASTER line. I’ve played Privateer with three different sound cards and never used it, however a former tech wizard at this site (John the Repairman) once wrote that it was a good idea and I’d be the last one to disagree with him.
2) Run the “Install” on Privateer to set your SOUND/MUSIC/SPEECH options. I’d strongly recommend that you start with the MUSIC option first ( it’s the one I’ve had the least hassles with). Once that works you can try the SPEECH/SFX possibilities.
MUSIC:- I’ve had a lot of success with the ADLIB option even with sound blaster cards.
SPEECH/SFX:- Try SOUND BLASTER, SB 16 and SB pro first.

VERY IMPORTANT :- Write down every combination ( port, dma, irq ) you try.
The number of possible combinations is horrific and it’s very easy to lose track of which ones you have tried. I’ve been there and it was very ugly.

Also important :- when you get it right, write the settings down on paper –along with a print of your config.sys and autoexec.bat – and keep them in a safe (and easily remembered) place. That way you’ll always be able to play it later on and help other others in need at this site.

Privateer is tricky, but it’s worth it.

I'm not sure the set and device business work for the SB Live in dos without "turning on" the soundcard with sbeinit (sb16 emulation) and once you do that, privateer hangs at least for me at the dos prompt. So I kind of doubt I will get it working without an alternative driver. VDMSound or whatever the common WC alternate sound driver does not work with privateer. So I think both I (boot disk thread) and riot act need a new driver that works with Priv1 and will recognize our joysticks clamped on to the back of the sound card.

Maybe I'm a pessimist :D

On the bright side, the game still rules. But I only got one bounty for killing governor menesch, Goodin didn't mention it when giving me the next mission and said "Remember me?" or something, which is pretty ludicrous since I'd talked to her like 5 missions ago.

Originally posted by RiotAct218
Hm, nevermind, the only problem is the joystick. Having that on makes the game freak out.
That's funny, AFAIK, having a joystick in makes it play at normal speed, while having no joystick plugged in is supposed to make it play at half speed. At least, the music plays at half speed, anyway.

Riotact: I dunno, I have heard of a driver mentioned here called "soundfx" but with no other details: usually for WC games people use VDMsound or something like that, which works for all games in the series but Privateer 1.

Wedge: It seemed to run at normal speed with no sound card (and therefore no joystick) attached. My assumption was this was normal speed, since the computer's speed wouldn't "counteract" a half-speed condition, with frame rate limiting and all.

I've beaten both games now (Starting RF with a Centurion and enough cash for every upgrade does wonders, trust me.)

Having never played it at the supposedly normal speed, I wouldn't know what the speed changes are like.

Back