Privateer ONE and Windows XP Pro

Carthanc

Spaceman
I am trying to figure out a way to run WC: Privateer on my new computer (Windows XP pro)... but I'm not having very much luck. I'm currently stuck with the "NOEMS - RAM" error message. As I understand it, XP pro runs a "config.nt" (and a "autoexec.nt" -- both are located in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32) instead of the traditional "config.sys" and "autoexec.bat" files I modified to get Privateer to run under Windows 95.

Does anyone know how to get Privateer to work on this system in particular? I've looked pretty thoroughly through the forum and didn't find anything that was specific enough to let me know what to do next.

Thanks

Originally posted by Carthanc
I am trying to figure out a way to run WC: Privateer on my new computer (Windows XP pro)
Thanks

What you try doesn't work, period.
You can either use a Win95 or Win98 - DOS bootdisk or use stuff like VMWare.

I have a trial version of VMWare 4.0 (which does not come with technical support), but I can't figure out how to get it to run an MS-DOS "virtual machine" -- keeps on saying that it can't find a hard disk, CD-ROM, or floppy drive and aborts halfway through starting up.

Is it possible to run Privateer on XP Pro with VMWare or I need to kick myself around the room again for "upgrading" from Win95? If it is possible I would very much appreciate some help if someone is willing to take the time to explain how to get VMWare to work.

~Carthanc

when you create a vm to have a "clean machine": no o.s. preinstalled. so first thing to do is put a bootable dos disk in your floopy drive, then you can install dos (with your dos installer disks).

make sure to disable sound/speech & music. vmware doesnt support audio in dos environment.

Back